Heathrow to N Wales

Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heathrow to N Wales

Hi All,

Am visiting sick relatives at xmas in North Wales. Flying into Heathrow, but don't want to hire a car from the airport.

Trains to N Wales are eye wateringly pricey, coaches are very slow (and we will have to wait until the next day to catch one)

Anybody have some sensible suggestions on how to get from Heathrow to N Wales ?
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heathrow to N Wales

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Hi All,

Am visiting sick relatives at xmas in North Wales. Flying into Heathrow, but don't want to hire a car from the airport.

Trains to N Wales are eye wateringly pricey, coaches are very slow (and we will have to wait until the next day to catch one)

Anybody have some sensible suggestions on how to get from Heathrow to N Wales ?
Can you not fly directly into Manchester? That would be much nearer to N Wales than Heathrow. If a train is pricey, then you probably don’t wish to fly from Heathrow to Manchester.

If you don’t want to hire a car, take a train or coach...I think you may be out of options.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

No direct flight to Manchester at this time of year.

Our lass is a terrible flyer, especially hates take off and landing, hence the direct flight. Only option is Heathrow
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't really leave much aside from a taxi or Limo service.

I used to fly from Gatwick a fair amount and getting the coach from Bristol, stopping off at Heathrow (both directions) used to irritate the hell out of me. Other than that I didn't think them slow.

I mucked around with Heathrow to Wrexham...found fares between $150 and $800+
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No direct flight to Manchester at this time of year.

Our lass is a terrible flyer, especially hates take off and landing, hence the direct flight. Only option is Heathrow
There maybe some sort of shuttle service by road from Heathrow. If you Google you can find some but they probably need a postcode for a quote. Here is one...

UK Airport Transfers Taxi TO & FROM Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and London City Airport
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There maybe some sort of shuttle service by road from Heathrow. If you Google you can find some but they probably need a postcode for a quote. Here is one...

UK Airport Transfers Taxi TO & FROM Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and London City Airport
Yep, that's the taxi/limo thing I mentioned. I've done it a couple of times Niagara Falls to Hamilton airport. It was worth it compared to coach fares here.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Try the trainline.com for cheap(er) rail fares, particularly if you book in advance and/or specific train. Also two singles are often cheaper than a return.
I'd also look at the hire car option, particularly if there are several of you. Try Sixt as they seem to work out a bit cheaper than others IME.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you are travelling? Look for train fares from Euston rather than from Heathrow itself. It may be that your most cost-effective option for training it would be to taxi from LHR to Euston to pick up the northbound train. If it's just a couple of you then the taxi fare per person is a bit steep, but if there's more than a couple of you the train fares rack up quickly. Look on thetrainline.com and play around (as far as you're able) with departure and return times to see what deals are avaialble.

Otherwise, for a party of more than three, it's often more cost effective to book a door-to-door car service. But book a local guy from N Wales to come and get you, not a Londoner to head out to the wilds beyond the Marches!

If it were me, I'd rent a car and drive up, but then I'd want the freedom to be able to get out and about locally in N Wales - even if it's to pop down the shops and pick up groceries - without having to jump through hoops to get on the insurance for my relatives' car. Don't know where exactly you're headed, but recall from my teen years in Chester that local buses along the North Wales shoreline are good but not that good; I can't imagine they've improved that much in the intervening privatized three decades or so...
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How many of you are travelling? Look for train fares from Euston rather than from Heathrow itself. It may be that your most cost-effective option for training it would be to taxi from LHR to Euston to pick up the northbound train. If it's just a couple of you then the taxi fare per person is a bit steep, but if there's more than a couple of you the train fares rack up quickly. Look on thetrainline.com and play around (as far as you're able) with departure and return times to see what deals are avaialble.

Otherwise, for a party of more than three, it's often more cost effective to book a door-to-door car service. But book a local guy from N Wales to come and get you, not a Londoner to head out to the wilds beyond the Marches!

If it were me, I'd rent a car and drive up, but then I'd want the freedom to be able to get out and about locally in N Wales - even if it's to pop down the shops and pick up groceries - without having to jump through hoops to get on the insurance for my relatives' car. Don't know where exactly you're headed, but recall from my teen years in Chester that local buses along the North Wales shoreline are good but not that good; I can't imagine they've improved that much in the intervening privatized three decades or so...
Agree with all of the above, but also consider using the Piccadilly line from Heathrow through central London to Euston, because this will be much cheaper even if travelling at peak times. You can get an Oyster for maximum cheapness but a contactless bank card works fine. Also second the car issue - unfortunately the rural bus services in North Wales are not great, so you may find yourself somewhat marooned. However, if you don't want to do that then look for taxi companies in the place you are going to, and ask them for a fixed price. The journey should be about 4-5 hours assuming not too much traffic.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies.

Car hire is the most cost effective, but I don't fancy driving in M25 hell on a Friday afternoon in winter, after a 10 hour flight from YVR.

Am hiring a car in N Wales *much cheaper* - I didn't mention that

The taxi from Heathrow to N Wales is a little dearer that the train (for the 2 of us). For 3 or more, it would be cheaper (how in a sane world could that be true?)

Looking at the options, it looks like a combination trip - coach to Birmingham, train from there. Total cost about a 1/3 of train all the way (and without the hassle of getting across London in rush hour)
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:09 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

Car hire is the most cost effective, but I don't fancy driving in M25 hell on a Friday afternoon in winter, after a 10 hour flight from YVR.

Am hiring a car in N Wales *much cheaper* - I didn't mention that

The taxi from Heathrow to N Wales is a little dearer that the train (for the 2 of us). For 3 or more, it would be cheaper (how in a sane world could that be true?)

Looking at the options, it looks like a combination trip - coach to Birmingham, train from there. Total cost about a 1/3 of train all the way (and without the hassle of getting across London in rush hour)

making the presumption that the coach gets into Digbeth coach station and that the train goes from New Street , thats not an inconsiderable journey with luggage on foot
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

??? Heathrow to Wales, you don't need to go on the M25!
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Get the coach from Heathrow to Cardiff - 3.5 hours - from £15 each (single) depending on date (you can also fly to Gatwick and get it)
then you could get the train or coach from Cardiff to Bangor (or where ever you need to go to) or get your car rental from Cardiff would be even easier and cheaper.

I also found a train for £37 per person from Gatwick to Bangor but it means 2 changes (and triples in price if you do it from Heathrow!) You could perhaps get the Gatwick Express from Heathrow and then get the train from there.
https://www.thetrainline.com/train-t...angor-(gwynedd)
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
??? Heathrow to Wales, you don't need to go on the M25!
Fair point but I don't fancy M4 / M40 or driving full stop after a long flight.

Fair dues to those who can, but having worked near Gatwick airport for many years & seeing the amount of accidents nearby, I'll give it a miss.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 5:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Tube it to Kings Cross/St Pancras and then catch a fast train from Euston. Without knowing exactly where you’re going it’s a bit difficult to advise further but if there’s two of you then investing in a Two Together card will save you a third, even on advance fares, and so will likely pay for itself and then some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.