Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Heart-in-mouth moments

Heart-in-mouth moments

Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heart-in-mouth moments

As you can probably tell by now, I'm bored and fed up with having this leg in cast, thank goodness it comes off tomorrow, the cast that is.

Anyway, had another idea.

What is the worst heart-in-mouth moment you've ever had?

Mine has got to be sitting on the edge of a Twin Otter plane with my legs dangling out into space, 3000' feet above terra firma, waiting for the call to jump for the first time......My heart beats faster just at the memory.

Come on then, what is your most scary moment ever?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heart-in-mouth moments

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
As you can probably tell by now, I'm bored and fed up with having this leg in cast, thank goodness it comes off tomorrow, the cast that is.

Mine has got to be sitting on the edge of a Twin Otter plane with my legs dangling out into space, 3000' feet above terra firma, waiting for the call to jump for the first time......My heart beats faster just at the memory.

Hovering at the edge of a cliff in a Bell 47 helicopter thinking what a beautiful site this is, when the pilot shoved the stick forward and we descended nose first at what appeared to be a great rate of knots only to pull up safely and hover again at the bottom.

Him laughing his *ss off and me sitting about two inches higher in my seat and needing a change of underwear.

I never forgave him.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:02 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

Travelling 35 km down a track to a state campsite in the Rockies, getting out to guide my hubby back in the RV and seeing a cougar standing about ten feet away!

Didn't scream....couldn;t speak!
C
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robin,

Cor blimey, you've certainly got us to get the grey matter into gear today

I have 2.........can I have 2 please

1st was abseiling 180 foot from Charing Cross Hospital, arranged by the Royal Marines. I was staying with my cousin in Ipswich & her hubby who was in the Marines at the time, & I got roped in (no pun intended!!!). It was that bit at the top when you're all harnessed up & they ask you to lean back . It was a great experience & I was on a real high for the rest of the day

The 2nd was when hubby used to do moto cross racing, seeing him in a big pile up - not nice. Turned out he broke his ankle (could have been worse).
He's a self employed kitchen & bathroom installer, & when he went to get his plaster removed, the nurse wanted to know why there was sawdust in his plaster

Enjoy you plaster coming off tomorrow

Arris
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:23 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

You just had to have more didn't you Arris! Greedy thing
C
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
You just had to have more didn't you Arris! Greedy thing
C
I was going to add a 3rd
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:29 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arris
I was going to add a 3rd
Oh c'mon, let's hear it.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Oh c'mon, let's hear it.
Ok, here it is ....................

As you've probably guessed, hubby is well into motor bikes.

He used to have a road bike, he & his mates would go out for rides round the Cotwolds - I couldn't relax until he was back.

Well, this one time while they were out, the phone rang & it was one of his mates calling to say that hubby had been in an accident. I just felt sick there & then - turned out he had only broken his collar bone thankfully.

He now has a 'super moto' bike which he assures me is slower & safer than the road bikes they used to go out on, but if I had my way i'd wrap him in bubble wrap & put stabilisers on his bike
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Filtering (on my motorbike) between lanes 2 & 3 on the M3 motorway at about 50mph when some pillock decides to swap lanes. He brushed past me so close that I could almost feel his wing mirror touching my right elbow.
I shut my eyes and was waiting for the pearly gates but amazingly we avoided a collision.

I've had lots of close calls bikes, but that was the closest. Had I come off I would not be here today.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)

Hey Robin,

Being nosey, how did you break your ankle?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
Hey Robin,

Being nosey, how did you break your ankle?
Not a heart-in-mouth moment though, ice skating at a rate of knots, gathering speed and confidence with each circuit, falling regularly, getting up and carrying on, then falling awkwardly and not being able to get up.

Didn't know I'd broken it and even drove my daughter and her friend 25 miles home!

It goes to show that just because you can wriggle your toes and weight bear on the foot, it doesn't mean that you haven't broken something!

On the positive side of things, I have been on this forum all the time, it feels like a second home now, and I have at least sorted out our long term route into Canada, with Andrew Millers services and experience. I may be around for a few years.......
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:26 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Weirdly heart-in-mouth... you know rationally you're safe but all your instincts still scream 'danger! danger!'
Attached Thumbnails Heart-in-mouth moments-potentialhurlfest.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:57 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Weirdly heart-in-mouth... you know rationally you're safe but all your instincts still scream 'danger! danger!'
Its the same if you jump on the glass floor of the CN Tower

I flew over Niagara Falls in a helicopter and felt weird - kept thinking we could fall out of the sky any minute. Great views though as you can see from my pic

I could never bungee jump or jump out of a plane for fun. Even thinking about it gives me jitters.
Attached Thumbnails Heart-in-mouth moments-img_0439-2.jpg  
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another of mine would be when we were camping in the middle of Vancouver Island somewhere, when my daughter was 14 months old.

She fell off one of those picnic benches, whacked the back of her head on the way down and went out cold. Her eyes rolled upwards and she was unresponsive.

Very frightening for a few minutes there and definitely a 'heart-in-mouth' moment. Fortunately I was breast feeding her at the time and it was instinctive for me to see if she would latch on. She did, and after about 5 minutes she came round. We kept a close eye on her for the rest of the evening but she was none the worse for wear.

She has been unconscious on 2 later occasions too, she seemed to be susceptible, but I panicked less and coped better each time. I did ring the doctor after the third time to see whether I had dealt appropriately. His advice was that if her only other symptom was a bump on the head, she came round within a few minutes, and suffered no signs of concussion, then it was up to me if I wanted to sit in a casualty for several hours!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Nebraska frightened me. More than being in an earthquake in California, more than being in a hurricane in Galveston, more than parachuting, Nebraska scared, thrilled and aroused me.

My daughter and I were there, in an open car, when the sky went dark and the trees took on a strange brightness. It started to rain, gently at first and then very hard, hail stones the size of golf balls crashed down around us. The wildness of the weather was strangely exciting and we had mixed feelings about being with each other. We tuned to the National Weather Service and heard that the storm had "gone purple" in some county and "developed strong rotation" in another. We didn't know which county we were in but the trees nearby were straining at their roots. I pulled on to the central reservation under a highway bridge and we sat there with the car making little hops across the grass as the wind gusted under it and lifted it not quite off the ground.

Eventually the storm seemed to have lost steam, a woman phoned the radio station from Ogallala to say she was out of her shelter and had counted her chickens. She didn't say how many she had before or after or, if she did, it was lost in our chuckling delight at living to hear the mundane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.