Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Harpers comments on the Niqab

Harpers comments on the Niqab

Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harpers comments on the Niqab

Originally Posted by Shard
Bravo, fatuous analogy of the year.
Not at all, but I keep hearing about "Canadian values" as if Canada is the last bastion of freedom and democracy. Let's not forget that Canada's treatment of it's native people (ie. real canadians, not european settlers) was and continues to be a disgrace.

As in most Western countries, women continue to suffer wage disparity, are under represented in the c-suite, discriminated against in the workplace, etc, etc. There's little point in me going on, as it's clear.
My point is that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

It's great that Harper wants to deal with this, but the clothes that a minority of women chose to wear, in a religion which is a significant minority in this country, should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list of priorities.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Obviously the PM comments are to get JT talking on the issue.
Chelsea's captain?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:49 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Not at all, but I keep hearing about "Canadian values" as if Canada is the last bastion of freedom and democracy. Let's not forget that Canada's treatment of it's native people (ie. real canadians, not european settlers) was and continues to be a disgrace.

As in most Western countries, women continue to suffer wage disparity, are under represented in the c-suite, discriminated against in the workplace, etc, etc. There's little point in me going on, as it's clear.
My point is that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

It's great that Harper wants to deal with this, but the clothes that a minority of women chose to wear, in a religion which is a significant minority in this country, should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list of priorities.
It is way down the list.

The residual gender inequalities in Western culture pale in comparison to those in Islamic countries, so to cite glass houses is quite a twisting of facts. Covering up is a form of gender repression, I fail to understand why you condone it?

The reason the issue has gained attention, despite the very few individuals it affects, is that sanctioning the woman's request sets a precedent which counters hard won Canadian and Western principles of gender equality. Harper is completely right when he characterises it as anti-woman.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:05 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It is way down the list.

The residual gender inequalities in Western culture pale in comparison to those in Islamic countries, so to cite glass houses is quite a twisting of facts. Covering up is a form of gender repression, I fail to understand why you condone it?

The reason the issue has gained attention, despite the very few individuals it affects, is that sanctioning the woman's request sets a precedent which counters hard won Canadian and Western principles of gender equality. Harper is completely right when he characterises it as anti-woman.
I think its all a bit of a cover up.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

It is way down the list.

How do you rationalise arguing against gender repression whilst telling women what they're not allowed to wear?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

So who on here has had a face to Niqab conversation? I have with women in hijabs but not in niqabs. If you have, what thoughts, if any, did you have in not seeing the face of the person facing you? These are generally seriously fundamental Muslims. I have encountered hijab covered women in stores/offices/doctors but not the fully veiled women.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I havent seen this yet, but it probably provides some actual insight:
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:16 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
How do you rationalise arguing against gender repression whilst telling women what they're not allowed to wear?
It's not a purely theoretical argument. You have to consider why it is these women feel the need to veil themselves in such a way (hint: it's not the cold, and it's not sandstorms). Why do you think it is?

It's also not a question of dictating a woman's wardrobe, it's a case of one particular item which has no purpose in modern Western society.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:28 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You really don't know?
You're calling a scarred face a disability. I disagree.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

It's not a purely theoretical argument. You have to consider why it is these women feel the need to veil themselves in such a way (hint: it's not the cold, and it's not sandstorms). Why do you think it is?

It's also not a question of dictating a woman's wardrobe, it's a case of one particular item which has no purpose in modern Western society.
They wear it for the same reason muslim men grow beards, why orthodox jewish women wear wigs and cover up in black/grey clothing, why amish women dress the way they do, etc- it's cultural and religious.

How do you define a modern western society? Because the countries which have laws insisting you dress a certain way include ISIL, saudi arabia, north korea, etc. Truly modern societies do not fall within this list.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 12:38 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm disapointed that this thread is not about people wearing kebabs.
I don't think they allow you to do the oath with a gob full of kebab and chilli sauce? So it's a mute point
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I don't think they allow you to do the oath with a gob full of kebab and chilli sauce? So it's a mute point
A gob full of kebab might make one mute but the point would still be moot, ffs.

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
So who on here has had a face to Niqab conversation? I have with women in hijabs but not in niqabs. If you have, what thoughts, if any, did you have in not seeing the face of the person facing you? These are generally seriously fundamental Muslims. I have encountered hijab covered women in stores/offices/doctors but not the fully veiled women.
In Toronto, I see people (people I assume to be women, Islamic transvestism isn't something I've much considered) in burqas all the time. I expect I'll see one tomorrow. I can't say I converse with them because they're just people on the tram, I expect if I had to speak to one it'd be pretty much like speaking to anyone else, I wouldn't expect hood wearing to interfere with dealing with, say, my request for a pint of whelks. How would you think a routine conversation with a woman in a veil would be different than one with any other woman?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:45 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

So going back to the YT video, one of the questions was why don't muslim men cover their faces too ?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How would you think a routine conversation with a woman in a veil would be different than one with any other woman?
Not really a conversation nor routine....

In 1997 I took part in a sponsored bike ride alongside the Nile. (this is not me obviously, just an example of what the women on the ride wore - same as the men)

The women cyclists were verbally abused and attacked with sticks and stones by Hijab/Burqa wearing women.

That was quite a different interaction with all the other women encountered.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
So going back to the YT video, one of the questions was why don't muslim men cover their faces too ?
Why don't you wear a skirt? (Perhaps you do).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.