Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Hardwood floors - refurbished!

Hardwood floors - refurbished!

Old May 4th 2009, 2:36 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hardwood floors - refurbished!

We had the hardwoods done, looks amazing!

Still haven't got the bill but it should come in around $2000, next job is to put quarter round throughout so I got a bit of work coming my way .

There was a small patch we weren't happy with and the guy will be around today to see what he can do. Anyone in and around winnipeg who wants his number just PM me.
Old May 4th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardwood floors - refurbished!

Originally Posted by livermanl

Still haven't got the bill but it should come in around $2000, next job is to put quarter round throughout so I got a bit of work coming my way .

There was a small patch we weren't happy with and the guy will be around today to see what he can do. Anyone in and around winnipeg who wants his number just PM me.
Could you talk then into coming to Saskatchewan....lol...can't get anyone here for love no money to do ours...they are too busy, so looks like OH will be tackling them

Would love to see some photos of how yours turned out??
Old May 4th 2009, 8:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesus. Installing quarter rounds is about the easiest and quickest DIY job going.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:21 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
Could you talk then into coming to Saskatchewan....lol...can't get anyone here for love no money to do ours...they are too busy, so looks like OH will be tackling them

Would love to see some photos of how yours turned out??
I will do it tonight!
Originally Posted by Souvenir
Jesus. Installing quarter rounds is about the easiest and quickest DIY job going.
It's easy but still needs to be done over 700sqft worth!!! I'm lazy.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:53 pm

I will do it tonight!

It's easy but still needs to be done over 700sqft worth!!! I'm lazy.
You are indeed. If I can sand 500 square feet of deck, remove 100 square feet of it and re-lay grass in a weekend, you can whack on a few bits of quarter round.

<takes more ibuprofen>
Old May 5th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

You are indeed. If I can sand 500 square feet of deck, remove 100 square feet of it and re-lay grass in a weekend, you can whack on a few bits of quarter round.

<takes more ibuprofen>
Ehhh...would you travel to Saskatchewan for work.................
Old May 5th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

We are at this moment living in an'otel as the whole of our house is having the hardwood floor ripped out and replaced,,,cost $13000, why coz the friggin water cooler leaked over nite ruining our original brand new Hwood floor (Mapel)
Old May 5th 2009, 3:03 pm
Banned

<takes more ibuprofen>
I will probably go to home depot over the weekend and buy the quarter round needed get it painted and ready to go on.

I may even get the baseboards replaced as they need painting as well and it doesn't cost a lot more just to replace them. Far easier to paint them when there not on the walls.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
We are at this moment living in an'otel as the whole of our house is having the hardwood floor ripped out and replaced,,,cost $13000, why coz the friggin water cooler leaked over nite ruining our original brand new Hwood floor (Mapel)
Oh Gremmie...I can truly sympathise with you...thats just horrible mate

Lots of mine has been nearly destroyed by some previous owner years and years ago, sticking lino tiles untop of my beautiful oak, with black tar..it took me near two months getting it all off the diningroom and now for extra punishment I have decided to take it off the master bedroom...OH has warned me not to start
Old May 5th 2009, 3:04 pm

Ehhh...would you travel to Saskatchewan for work.................
What other reason could there be?
Old May 5th 2009, 3:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I lived in the house whilst he did the refinishing it was not a pleasant experiance!!! The wife stayed with her family for the most part.
Oh Gremmie...I can truly sympathise with you...thats just horrible mate

Lots of mine has been nearly destroyed by some previous owner years and years ago, sticking lino tiles untop of my beautiful oak, with black tar..it took me near two months getting it all off the diningroom and now for extra punishment I have decided to take it off the master bedroom...OH has warned me not to start
You can rent a professional floor sander from home depot might make things easier then you just need to buy the wood filler and floor varnish. If the floors weren't in a dire state I might have tried it myself but my floors pre work were an absolute mess and even the professional had troubles with them.
Not much!!!
Old May 5th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old May 5th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=livermanl;7543090]I lived in the house whilst he did the refinishing it was not a pleasant experiance!!! The wife stayed with her family for the most part.

You can rent a professional floor sander from home depot might make things easier then you just need to buy the wood filler and floor varnish. If the floors weren't in a dire state I might have tried it myself but my floors pre work were an absolute mess and even the professional had troubles with them.

Not much!!![/QUOTE]

Oi - there is no call for that kind of talk
Old May 5th 2009, 3:21 pm

I will probably go to home depot over the weekend and buy the quarter round needed get it painted and ready to go on.

I may even get the baseboards replaced as they need painting as well and it doesn't cost a lot more just to replace them. Far easier to paint them when there not on the walls.
Do the current baseboards marry up well with the floor? If there are no big gaps, you don't need quarter rounds.

If you do change the baseboards, don't use MDF (and learn how to do scarf joints).
Old May 5th 2009, 3:37 pm
Banned

Do the current baseboards marry up well with the floor? If there are no big gaps, you don't need quarter rounds.

If you do change the baseboards, don't use MDF (and learn how to do scarf joints).
The base boards leave gaps all around the flooring so quarter round is definately needed.

As for replacing the baseboards it's a simply enough job but i am still unsure whether or not I will be replacing them all they need is a bit of paint but if I do it will be cheap and dirty cause we are selling soon hopefully. As long as they look good up til then it doesn't matter to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.