British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Happy New Brunswick Day! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/happy-new-brunswick-day-805092/)

Auld Yin Aug 5th 2013 6:43 am

Re: Happy New Brunswick Day!

They only call it Newfoundland and Labrabor because Newfoundland, Labrador and Cape Breton doesn't fit on the license plates.

Eh? Boy it's amazing what slips past as the birthdays lengthen. The last time I looked Cape Breton was part of Nova Scotia. When did it join the other Province?

Greenhill Aug 5th 2013 7:34 am

It is my understanding that Cape Bretoners both look and sound exactly like newfies.

And they all live in the hills, in dark holes, and their women-folk have beards.

BIG ginger beards.

caretaker Aug 5th 2013 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 10836562)
They only call it Newfoundland and Labrabor because Newfoundland, Labrador and Cape Breton doesn't fit on the license plates.

Eh? Boy it's amazing what slips past as the birthdays lengthen. The last time I looked Cape Breton was part of Nova Scotia. When did it join the other Province?

Very clever! That is a point over which there is some debate, according to some Newfies and some Cape Bretoners.
Ps; I've met some beautiful women from Newfoundland, they don't all have beards.

caretaker Aug 5th 2013 9:10 am

Do we need a separate thread for the story about the two boys strangled by the python? In the running for most tragic, but easily a front runner for most bizarre tragedy.

Greenhill Aug 5th 2013 9:28 am

Given the fun and lightheartedness of this thread, perhaps a new thread? I just had a quick scan over the story and I'm wondering if there'll be a criminal investigation...

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10836713)
Do we need a separate thread for the story about the two boys strangled by the python? In the running for most tragic, but easily a front runner for most bizarre tragedy.

caretaker Aug 5th 2013 9:55 am

The new colony of New Brunswick, (named for somewhere in Germany (thank you), was nearly named New Ireland.

nldfc Aug 5th 2013 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 10836207)
Not a day off in Newfoundland, but Wednesday is, at least in St John's, weather permitting a holiday. It's the occasion of the Royal St John's Regatta (rowing) and is the only public holiday anywhere to the best of my knowledge that is weather dependent. If on the first wednesday of the month the weather is good enough for rowing, we all get a day off. It not, then we don't & they try again Thursday, Friday etc.

That is the most pointless stat holiday ever - if it's a little bit windy and the stalls all around the pond are not going to make obscene amounts of money then it all gets cancelled and I end up having to go to work with a bugger of a hangover ;)

MillieF Aug 6th 2013 12:30 am

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10837257)
That is the most pointless stat holiday ever - if it's a little bit windy and the stalls all around the pond are not going to make obscene amounts of money then it all gets cancelled and I end up having to go to work with a bugger of a hangover ;)

I quite disagree...I wish to God we could move stat holidays with regard to inclement weather here! I set off with family and picnic, 20 minutes after we left the rain was torrential, and continued for a good two hours, eventually we said sod that and came home - I didn't have a hangover but I was feeling really cross all afternoon. Watch out for Thursday....I have booked a vacation day, so it's bound to chuck it down!

Halifax had floats and marching bands and things, and all sorts of things going on in Saint John too, that's 'our' one in NB!

Atlantic Xpat Aug 6th 2013 1:08 am

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10837257)

George St Festival roulette?