British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Happy New Brunswick Day! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/happy-new-brunswick-day-805092/)

MillieF Aug 5th 2013 10:57 am

Happy New Brunswick Day!

Yes, us lucky lot in NB are on holiday today! So ya boo sucks to all of you toiling away! I'm not sure if we get it off so that we can be smug about living here or in general commiseration....so we are going to pack a picnic and head to Kings Landing, just ouside Fredericton, it's one of those historical re-enactment parks with sturdy ladies in big hats...and today, wet weather gear!

Do any of you in other Provinces get a day off to celebrate your hometown?

Greenhill Aug 5th 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Happy New Brunswick Day!

I think it's a day off here too.

No idea what it's called though.

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10835890)
Yes, us lucky lot in NB are on holiday today! So ya boo sucks to all of you toiling away! I'm not sure if we get it off so that we can be smug about living here or in general commiseration....so we are going to pack a picnic and head to Kings Landing, just ouside Fredericton, it's one of those historical re-enactment parks with sturdy ladies in big hats...and today, wet weather gear!

Former Lancastrian Aug 5th 2013 12:52 pm

Ours is called the August civic holiday so :p we also have the day off.
Being in NB shouldn't your post be bilingual? there again that would be in contravention of BE rules;) posts in English only.

BristolUK Aug 5th 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10835890)
...so we are going to pack a picnic and head to Kings Landing...

I always thought everywhere gets today off, just that each province has a different name for it.

Did you include calling at The King's Head for a 'proper' pint?

ann m Aug 5th 2013 1:40 pm

Ours is called "Heritage Day" and like you we aim to visit sturdy ladies in long dresses and hats, with gun slingers, railroad builders and "little house on the prairie" style school houses by visiting Heritage Park in Calgary. Weather unpredictable but picnic thing obligatory.

Have a fun day off - if you get one ;)

dasher3 Aug 5th 2013 1:41 pm

Mais bien sur, mon ami FL:thumbup:

dasher3 Aug 5th 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10836186)
Ours is called "Heritage Day" and like you we aim to visit sturdy ladies in long dresses and hats, with gun slingers, railroad builders and "little house on the prairie" style school houses by visiting Heritage Park in Calgary. Weather unpredictable but picnic thing obligatory.

Have a fun day off - if you get one ;)

Oh Ann I love Heritage Park, our one isn't as fun as that. I had some of the nicest visits there when sprog was smaller, that steam train was wonderful, and the fairground. Ours is much smaller but the buildings are all original and were moved from the land that was flooded to build the Mactaquac Dam.

I wonder why you've got the day off too Greenhill, maybe it's Happy Nova Scotia Day too? Have a good one!

Atlantic Xpat Aug 5th 2013 1:50 pm

Not a day off in Newfoundland, but Wednesday is, at least in St John's, weather permitting a holiday. It's the occasion of the Royal St John's Regatta (rowing) and is the only public holiday anywhere to the best of my knowledge that is weather dependent. If on the first wednesday of the month the weather is good enough for rowing, we all get a day off. It not, then we don't & they try again Thursday, Friday etc.

dasher3 Aug 5th 2013 1:50 pm

Apologies...I just realized that I logged on as my husband....I am MillieF

Greenhill Aug 5th 2013 1:59 pm

So, basically, you Newfies...
  • Ate all the cod
  • Have an impracticle timezone (UTC -3.5 hours)
  • Have a midweek drink holiday
Whatever next :confused:

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 10836207)
Not a day off in Newfoundland, but Wednesday is, at least in St John's, weather permitting a holiday. It's the occasion of the Royal St John's Regatta (rowing) and is the only public holiday anywhere to the best of my knowledge that is weather dependent. If on the first wednesday of the month the weather is good enough for rowing, we all get a day off. It not, then we don't & they try again Thursday, Friday etc.

Siouxie Aug 5th 2013 2:41 pm

The first Monday in August is a statutory holiday in: British Columbia (British Columbia Day); New Brunswick (New Brunswick Day); Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan Day or Civic Holiday); Nunavut (Civic Holiday) and the Northwest Territories (Civic Holiday). It is a holiday of some form in Alberta (Heritage Day), Manitoba (Civic Holiday), Newfoundland and Labrador (Civic Holiday, although the date is fixed by municipal council orders), Nova Scotia (Natal Day), Ontario (Civic Holiday, Simcoe Day or Colonel By Day) and Prince Edward Island (Natal Day).

Happy whatever it is day in your Province or Territory!

:D

BristolUK Aug 5th 2013 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10836226)
  • Ate all the cod

Plus one name isn't good enough, they need two.:rofl:

BristolUK Aug 5th 2013 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10836265)
...Nova Scotia (Natal Day)

Is the day after called Post Natal Day?

caretaker Aug 5th 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10836226)
  • Ate all the cod

Europeans ate all the cod,
It's 8:30 in Newfoundland, always will be,
Re: Drink holiday - It's because they're mostly Scotch and Irish.
They only call it Newfoundland and Labrabor because Newfoundland, Labrador and Cape Breton doesn't fit on the license plates.
You aren't one of those monitors, are you?

:D

bats Aug 5th 2013 6:33 pm

Civic Holiday in Ontario where folk celebrate in the traditional way. Get drunk and or stoned, eat too much, go out on, in, or behind some form of motorised toy. Crash said toy then visit emerge, not forgetting to call by Timmies on the way in

Spend the next 8 hours in Emerge wondering if you are feeling better yet.