Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Had Enough & Thinking of Giving Up.

Had Enough & Thinking of Giving Up.

Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had Enough & Thinking of Giving Up.

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Sorry to butt in on this thread - but do you mind explaining what you mean about TWP-PR routes you have mentioned. I don't know about either of them. Its likely if we get into Canada we will go in via TWP and apply for PR out there. My worry is (with a young child in toe) that we will get refused PR and have to come home.

I know very little about applying for PR on a TWP so all the info you could give me would be great.

Thanks
Thats the risk of TWP, it's what we did.

TWP= Temporary Work Permit
PR= Permanent Resident Visa

Check the wiki.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Sorry to read about your experience. If it helps, we've just been turned down flat for our PR. Our migration agent said we could do a statutory declaration in lieu of certain lack of evidence. When the time came we were then told we could just send a statement. I queried it at the time but was told it was ok as it was, so I assumed that if the immigration people required the stat dec they would ask for it. Instead of that we were turned down flat. Then she told us it was at their discretion as to whether they would accept it - definitely not was she told us at the beginning. Now we have a choice either to wait until we have been here one year, after which time we would have enough points without providing the proof, or wait for two years and go the 'Canadian Experience' route. If we have known the position at the outset we would have just worked for 2 years on TWPs and applied under the 'Canadian Experience'.

So as you can see, I can sympathise with your frustrations!
Hi in my message asking you to explain TWP and PR I meant about the points for proof and "Canadian Experience"

Originally Posted by Tangram
Thats the risk of TWP, it's what we did.

TWP= Temporary Work Permit
PR= Permanent Resident Visa

Check the wiki.
Yep thanks know this - please see above message from me - wasn't clear in my first response what I was asking about... thanks!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Hi in my message asking you to explain TWP and PR I meant about the points for proof and "Canadian Experience"

Yep thanks know this - please see above message from me - wasn't clear in my first response what I was asking about... thanks!
Hi, I was talking about the number of points required for the Permanent Resident via the Skilled Worker route.

If you have worked in Canada for one year on a TWP, you get extra points towards the Skilled Worker visa, but there is no point in waiting for a year before applying if you already have enough points.

If you have worked in Canada for two years on a TWP, you can now apply for a PR under the 'Canadian Experience' route, which I understand is more straightforward than the Skilled Worker route.