Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Wikiposts

"Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which religion is essentially apolitical? Buddhism, maybe. Otherwise religions are political in pursuing public policy, opposition to gay marriage for example, and in structure; centralization of power and wealth in a manner that would make bank shareholders blush.
Thats the church though, not the religion. Churches exist to exert power to some extent. But take gay marriage, not every catholic would say its a bad thing. But as a church its something those in power have decided to make a stand on.

The Anglican church is based in the same christian Bible (more or less), with the same "prophet", but the end result is a different view on Gay marriage.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

You know, this whole thing is a media frenzy blown out of all proportion. The site for the new mosque, to replace a temporary one in the area, is NOT ON GROUND ZERO - it is actually two blocks away. There is a heck of a lot of buildings, (commercial, residential, political and several Starbucks), in between the Ground Zero and this new Mosque. It is also not a traditional mosque, but more of an education and study centre - something I think people need.

Let them go through a standard planning application, allow the public 30 days to raise complaints on the structure, and let them get on with it. If they receive enough valid complaints from the public, the application will be denied or altered anyway. The fact is, this negative media attention has caused a situation where the uninformed masses affect the freedoms of a community they have no part in. As for the political angle on this, it is now a lose lose situation. I can't help but think that if no one had poked the wasps nest to start with (by mentioning 9/11 and linking all peoples of one faith with a couple of extremist mass murderers), then no one would be getting stung now.

What have we learnt folks? Never trust the media - verify the facts for yourself!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats the church though, not the religion. Churches exist to exert power to some extent.
The extent to which a religion is independent of its organizational structure is too obscure an argument for me.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I dunno, Iain. I think that the majority of people will object to the mosque for emotional reasons attached to a culture of blame surrounding the Muslim faith. I don't think that objecting to the building based on how it is funded, and by whom, stands up.

Would the mosque be less undesirable if it was funded by some "all-American" organisation? I doubt it.

T
I disagree, I hope that the majority of americans are not so bigoted that they associate all muslims with terrorists. If the mosque was there to serve the personal needs of the local muslim population, in association with their freedom of religion, then I dont think there would be all this fuss.

If it looks like its outside influences are out to make a political point, without any care for the local sensibilities of the area, then its not a suprise to me if there is something of an outcry against it, so I think that its important to establish what is driving this project along.

Moderate US politicians have a tight rope to walk on this one, on one hand they need to defend the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression, but that also have a lot of Christian voters to reassure too. Those on the right have it relatively easy in this case, they can just scream in outrage, genuine or otherwise.

LOL, If the average american realised how much of the country was owned by middle eastern and chinese interests they would no doubt be shocked. Its not a trend I see ending any time soon either.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
The extent to which a religion is independent of its organizational structure is too obscure an argument for me.
Thats presumably because you arent a church goer. Everyone has their own view on the various aspects of their faith, and their own interpretation.

The church is just an umbrella organisation, it cant possibly accurately represent the views of all those under its mantle at the same time.

People of faith are not necessarily mindless sheep who unquestioningly follow all that the church leaders have to say. Not in private anyway.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:34 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, Iain. I think that the majority of people will object to the mosque for emotional reasons [...]
That was a point made by Hitchens in the article I linked above.

Take, for example, the widely publicized opinion of Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League. Supporting those relatives of the 9/11 victims who have opposed Cordoba House, he drew a crass analogy with the Final Solution and said that, like Holocaust survivors, “their anguish entitles them to positions that others would categorize as irrational or bigoted.”
[...]
Claim that something is “offensive,” and it is as if the assertion itself has automatically become an argument. You are even allowed to admit, as does Foxman, that the ground for taking offence is “irrational and bigoted.” But, hey — why think when you can just feel?
For "irrational and bigoted" read "emotional" and there you have the basis for almost every objection to this mosque, madrassar, whatever it is.

To give another example: many moderate muslims were as annoyed by the ludicrous over-reaction to the Danish cartoon thing as many non-muslim western free-speech proponents. But some of the same Westerners are now up in arms because the boot is on the other foot, if you'll excuse the mangling of limbs and metaphors. You can't have it both ways.

Objecting to the mosque because it's somehow deemed to be offensive to the memory of the victims of 9/11 is bollocks. It's religious intolerance and bigotry dressed up as hand-on-heart, God-bless-America nationalism, and it's ugly.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:40 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I recall reading an article about the collapse of US financial institutions, investment companies and so on. It was suggested that the Saudi influence was growing and growing as they bought up shares in ailing organisations. I suppose a great number of people would be upset by things like that, but then again, people in glass houses should not throw stones!
LOL, If the average american realised how much of the country was owned by middle eastern and chinese interests they would no doubt be shocked. Its not a trend I see ending any time soon either.
I read an article a few years ago that said around 70% of New York's skyscrapers are either Saudi, Middle East or Chinese-owned.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:42 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I disagree, I hope that the majority of americans are not so bigoted that they associate all muslims with terrorists. If the mosque was there to serve the personal needs of the local muslim population, in association with their freedom of religion, then I dont think there would be all this fuss.

Well, we can all hope. My understanding is that the mosque is there to serve the personal needs of the local population. As I mentioned earlier, there is already a mosque on that particular site. And yet, here is the aforementioned fuss.

If it looks like its outside influences are out to make a political point, without any care for the local sensibilities of the area, then its not a suprise to me if there is something of an outcry against it, so I think that its important to establish what is driving this project along.

I think it is probably a combination of various parties causing the outcry, for their own agenda of course.

Moderate US politicians have a tight rope to walk on this one, on one hand they need to defend the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression, but that also have a lot of Christian voters to reassure too. Those on the right have it relatively easy in this case, they can just scream in outrage, genuine or otherwise.

I think there is a balance to be found between allowing everyone their freedom of expression, and keeping the peace. Why can't people just deploy some common sense? There's no need for everything to get so political..."Oh but it says in the constitution that I can do it". If anyone, anywhere, ever works out how to do that, then I know some folks who would be delighted.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I read an article a few years ago that said around 70% of New York's skyscrapers are either Saudi, Middle East or Chinese-owned.
It used to be a point of pride to the Star that Olympia & York was Manhatten's biggest landlord. Just one lot of foreigners displacing another.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:46 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all psychological. You yell muslim, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell terrorist, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:24 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mosque have Saudi funding?

OK, I say let them build it there as long as they allow a big synagogue to be built in Riyadh. Seeing as it's about tolerance, and all that.

For all those that go on about 'moderate' Muslims, there's no such thing. Just like there's no such thing as a moderate Christian. They're ALL f***ing loopy, believing in a supernatural being who tells you how you live your life, and how people who don't believe in the same things as you are damned??!!!

Just because some of them are a bit extreme doesn't make the rest of them 'sensible'.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

OK, I say let them build it there as long as they allow a big synagogue to be built in Riyadh. Seeing as it's about tolerance, and all that.

For all those that go on about 'moderate' Muslims, there's no such thing. Just like there's no such thing as a moderate Christian. They're ALL f***ing loopy, believing in a supernatural being who tells you how you live your life, and how people who don't believe in the same things as you are damned??!!!

Just because some of them are a bit extreme doesn't make the rest of them 'sensible'.
You have a seriously screwed up view of how religion affects people.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:45 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Yes they are all mad, though most of them do manage to be functioning members of society despite being mentally ill.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:48 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

People told Christopher Columbus he was crazy to think the world is round.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:00 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

No Iain.

Someone who believes that other people will go to Hell or suffer eternal damnation, or that their God is better than another person's God - they have a seriously screwed up view, caused by their religion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.