Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Wikiposts

"Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:35 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I was listening to the CBC the other day and they had someone on from the Canadian Muslim Congress or something. ANyway, they believe it is a deliberate provocation and that it is being funded by Saudi money, as apparently the leaders are being rather vague about where the funding is coming from. There seems a lack of transparency about it all. THe spokeswoman said she doesn't think many non-muslim supporters understand the battle that is going on right now within Islam, and the muslim community in north america with extremists vs moderates.

She also felt if it were truly dedicated to interfaith dialogue (apparently this is stated as one of the aims of the building?) that would have prayer rooms for other religions, and they don't.

As for why it's got anything to do with canadian muslims - they felt as north american muslims, it reflects badly on them as well.

I thought it was an interesting POV. And yeah, she made the point about building a church in Afghanistan too and how provocative that act would be.

And then of course they had the person who said all the hoo-ha was just islamophobia and blah blah blah.
I heard her on the CBC too. How very refreshing to have somebody commenting dispassionately; the expression of knowledge without prejudice seems all too rare in this whole Islam vs the Western World debate.

IMHO it's certainly deliberately provocative to want to put an Islamic centre and mosque right there. But banning it would be rising to that provocation, and would serve nobody. Why, if the Muslim site developers really are as peace-loving and reconciliatory as they claim, can't they build a multi-faith centre with a church and a Synagogue in the same building.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:44 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

It appears much of the funding for this is from "overseas". If the local muslim population wished to build a mosque, then let them fund it. Saudi funding smacks of political interfence to me
Can open, worms everywhere. How far do you really want to delve into outsider funding of undesirable, violent activity? Not too far, I'd wager.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:58 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Can open, worms everywhere. How far do you really want to delve into outsider funding of undesirable, violent activity? Not too far, I'd wager.
Let's think.

Church of England
Catholic Church
British Council
The French
CIA
etc........
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Souvy
Let's think.

Church of England
Catholic Church
British Council
The French
CIA
etc........
Germany
Isreal
USA

I suppose the point is, disagree with the temple being built by all means, but don't stir the murky waters of who is funding it. Especially not in the US!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:20 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Germany
Isreal
USA

I suppose the point is, disagree with the temple being built by all means, but don't stir the murky waters of who is funding it. Especially not in the US!
Why not? Is it not a central reason to oppose its building? Build a mosque there by all means if it serves an existing local muslim population and there is a need. Thats all covered by "freedom of religion" I would say. But if its being built in that location to prove some political point, then you have to wonder about the motives and sensibilities of those behind it.

I dont think it would go down to well is the Vatican decided to try and build a church in Riyadh, or anywhere else in Saudi Arabia I suppose.

You can make a comparison of various evangelical missions funded by various churches around the world I suppose, but typically those are never in denial of what they are and why they are there.

On the other hand the funding for this mosque is not transparent, and that only adds to the overall fear and suspicion about it. The truth is there are far more mosques under construction than can be explained by the number of muslims who need a place to pray.

And as for the US and Israel, what the Isrealis get away with is absolutely shocking; Its a wonder to me that so many people and organisations turn a blind eye to it. In my mind there is a huge gulf between criticising the Israeli state and being anti semitic, but it seems to me that many people make that link all the time and for no good reason.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 16th 2010 at 3:44 am.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:33 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Should I be worried that I find Christopher Hitchens making a lot of sense on this matter?

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...d-zero-mosque/
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You can make a comparison of various evangelical missions funded by various churches around the world I suppose, but typically those are never in denial of what they are and why they are there.
World Vision.

Apparently a charity intent on good deeds. In fact an evangelical organisation intent on converting the foreign poor and then sucking them for the little they are worth.

Typically Christian.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:42 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Typically Christian.
Sure, whatever.

And Al Quida are typically muslim too I suppose.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:43 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

They thing about religious people is they can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, whatever.
Not, please note, that I think any or all branches of Christanity are worse than the Israeli government or those seeking to fund the mosque in question, however the one is no more defensible than the other.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:46 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

They'll be back!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:46 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Germany
Isreal
USA

Murky is the word. On holiday in Cuba a couple of years back, I went past a resort called Sandals. That's a US company. You won't find that resort on their corporate website but it is clearly of the brand.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:48 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They thing about religious people is they can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever.
Oh I dont know about that. It the politicising of religion thats the problem, and you can say exactly the same thing about any political fanatic/ extremist or zealot, religous, secular, agnostic or otherwise.

Its extremists that cant be reasoned with, and the problem as I said before is that centrist muslims are not communicating their opposition to the extremists loonies at all well.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

Oh I dont know about that. It the politicising of religion thats the problem
Which religion is essentially apolitical? Buddhism, maybe. Otherwise religions are political in pursuing public policy, opposition to gay marriage for example, and in structure; centralization of power and wealth in a manner that would make bank shareholders blush.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:57 am

Why not? Is it not a central reason to oppose its building? Build a mosque there by all means if it serves an existing local muslim population and there is a need. Thats all covered by "freedom of religion" I would say. But if its being built in that location to prove some political point, then you have to wonder about the motives and sensibilities of those behind it.

On the other hand the funding for this mosque is not transparent, and that only adds to the overall fear and suspicion about it. The truth is there are far more mosques under construction than can be explained by the number of muslims who need a place to pray.

And as for the US and Israel, what the Isrealis get away with is absolutely shocking; Its a wonder to me that so many people and organisations turn a blind eye to it. In my mind there is a huge gulf between criticising the Israeli state and being anti semitic, but it seems to me that many people make that link all the time and for no good reason.
I dunno, Iain. I think that the majority of people will object to the mosque for emotional reasons attached to a culture of blame surrounding the Muslim faith. I don't think that objecting to the building based on how it is funded, and by whom, stands up.

Would the mosque be less undesirable if it was funded by some "all-American" organisation? I doubt it.

The problem is that if people really want to delve into how things are funded, and who owns shares in such and such a company, then I expect they would be very shocked indeed.

I recall reading an article about the collapse of US financial institutions, investment companies and so on. It was suggested that the Saudi influence was growing and growing as they bought up shares in ailing organisations. I suppose a great number of people would be upset by things like that, but then again, people in glass houses should not throw stones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.