Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Greater Vancouver peeps -- do you live in the average area ?

Greater Vancouver peeps -- do you live in the average area ?

Old Jun 1st 2015, 4:25 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greater Vancouver peeps -- do you live in the average area ?

Originally Posted by Oink
What a horribly racist portrayal and distortion of the data. It makes out that these areas are completely populated by people of certain countries/cultures, when that’s clearly not the case. Ask yourself why would someone go to the bother of producing such a map and then try and figure out their intent.
Agree. Look at the Seymour are on the North Shore...WTF?!
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:02 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

What a horribly racist portrayal and distortion of the data. It makes out that these areas are completely populated by people of certain countries/cultures, when that’s clearly not the case. Ask yourself why would someone go to the bother of producing such a map and then try and figure out their intent.
I didn't think about the intent that much . I just liked the pretty colours and was interested to see if the areas I know were represented as how I see them.

The area I am in is more Caucasian with a complete ethnic mix rather than Chinese as depicted on the map.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:47 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully i live in the nice area
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

A strange manipulation of the data!

I found what appears to be a deeper and more localised dive into the data on a property website a few weeks ago - I will have to try and find it.

Anyway, the upshot of that was that 36% of the population in my area of Maple Ridge are apparently English or Scottish!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:30 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

4bellsquote:
I'm just north of the Grandview Woodlands UK block.[/QUOTE]
What about the WISE? (I keep asking).It isn't far from my friend's new place and Oink may have Scotched the Legion as a rendezvous point for when I come out. I see they don't open till 7 but close enough to eat and get primed on the Drive first. It seems to want a little planning so you don't wind up with the gospel group or monthly bdsm fetish party.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:39 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
4bellsquote:
I'm just north of the Grandview Woodlands UK block.
What about the WISE? (I keep asking).It isn't far from my friend's new place and Oink may have Scotched the Legion as a rendezvous point for when I come out. I see they don't open till 7 but close enough to eat and get primed on the Drive first. It seems to want a little planning so you don't wind up with the gospel group or monthly bdsm fetish party.[/QUOTE]

I'm a member of The Wise. You can order food to be delivered there while your having a beer
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:53 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]

I'm a member of The Wise. You can order food to be delivered there while your having a beer [/QUOTE]
Think we can negotiate a deal for member prices in the lounge for a BE meet-up if there's nothing else going on? How many do we have at a quick nose count, 8? give or take. Maybe we need a poll. Some of the same bands play my bar so I could phone and try a professional courtesy schmooze if you think it might help.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
What about the WISE? (I keep asking).It isn't far from my friend's new place and Oink may have Scotched the Legion as a rendezvous point for when I come out. I see they don't open till 7 but close enough to eat and get primed on the Drive first. It seems to want a little planning so you don't wind up with the gospel group or monthly bdsm fetish party.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm a member of The Wise. You can order food to be delivered there while your having a beer
I don't think I'm banned from all Legions, even so, I'm still up for a session. So let's have it!

Last edited by Oink; Jun 3rd 2015 at 3:21 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We were over in Kits today ......... lots of yummy mummies and their male equivalents being even crazier than usual

Is it a full moon?

Getting out of the underground parkade was quite exciting ......... cars pulling out of parking slots every which way, into the path of cars driving down the lanes. At one point, there were 4 cars facing each other from 4 different directions.

We sat in our car and waited until they had sorted themselves out

Plus, of course, the pedestrians who didn't believe that red lights and walk signs applied to them!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We were over in Kits today ......... lots of yummy mummies and their male equivalents being even crazier than usual

Is it a full moon?

Getting out of the underground parkade was quite exciting ......... cars pulling out of parking slots every which way, into the path of cars driving down the lanes. At one point, there were 4 cars facing each other from 4 different directions.

Plus, of course, the pedestrians who didn't believe that red lights and walk signs applied to them!
Kits is shit.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:59 am
half a century

Originally Posted by scilly

Is it a full moon?

Indeed it is a full moon !
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Indeed it is a full moon !

Thank you. That probably explains the worse than usual happenings

The thing that does surprise me in Kits is that there is not a "comfortable" coffee shop in the area where we usually are. I like sturdy wood tables and chairs ......... the one we usually patronise has 2 kinds of chairs. They have a standard "dining" chair and what I would describe as a schoolteacher's desk chair with arms. Both have leather seats, and are comfortable to sit in.

There are 4 coffee shops in one block .......... only the Starbucks has anything approaching comfortable chairs!

We tried 49th Parallel last year ........... it keeps getting high ratings, etc etc. They had cute little metal bistro tables and chairs. The kind that are meant for people size 6 and under. As we balanced on our chairs, we had to keep leaning sideways towards the wall as people tried to go past in the very narrow aisle. Plus there were 4 people at the table across from us, each using a laptop or tablet. One girl kept getting up, coming round the table and leaning over the shoulder of one of her friends to look at what she was doing .......... her butt literally was less than 3" from my face. I didn't think the coffee was anything to write home about. So we never went back.

Whole Foods (used to be Capers) has replaced all its chairs with plastic lawn-type ones ...... and the coffee was so over-roasted on the three occasions I've been in there that I've been unable to finish my latte and even felt rather sick.

Another little place has 3 small tables with bistro-type chairs, but they are wooden!

I guess that's why you see so many people carrying take out cups and personal cups!

Although I do think another reason is an attempt to discourage people sitting there for hours with their 'puters and tablets.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Kits is shit.
It's the chairs, innit?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:59 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Kits is shit.
Somehow I thought you lived in Kits...
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:37 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Shard
Somehow I thought you lived in Kits...
Given that the map says Kits is English I'm not sure that any BE'ers actually live there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.