Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Great Britain's Future - post Brexit

Great Britain's Future - post Brexit

Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Great Britain's Future - post Brexit

Originally Posted by not2old
Both you & I left the UK the same year, was before the EU as it is today existed.

We had those 'Blue British' passports, then going back & forth between the UK & wherever was no hassle, no real mention of outsiders taking jobs, or about having to fund a club membership.

At the end of the day what happens from here on in doesn't directly affect me, does it you scilly?

Hi

No, it doesn't affect me or mine ........... in fact, what happens in the UK hasn't directly affected me for many years. It does interest me what happens there, both in terms of it being my country of birth and thus gave me all the advantages I've since built on, and in terms of how it might affect relations and friends who still live there, or how it might affect the rest of the world.

We go back at several year intervals as tourists, haven't been back since 2008, and really don't see ourselves going any time soon ............ there are still other places we want to see.

It will be interesting to watch what happens
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
you are not a 'mod'
No, I couldn't be trusted with that kind of power. A bit like the british electorate.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

scilly @post #61 that's my view also. Life is simple after being away for near on 50 years, we have choices
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Apparently both Cameron and the fool Boris agree that there's no rush to invoke Article 50.
There is no rush.

They don't have to do it at all. Ever.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 8:57 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
There is no rush.

They don't have to do it at all. Ever.
Germany, France may have something to say about that. In fact, they already have. Boris is a buffoon.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

They say there is no rush, but the EU wants it done next week.

When your leaving, your leaving. You don't get to call everyone a **** and then hang about afterwards making small talk.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:06 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

One of the EU MEP's pointed out that if Britain want full access to the EU (as the Brexiters trumpeted was possible) then we could expect to pay more not less in EU contributions.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Will the remaining EU members be expanding the union to allow countries like Turkey, Belarus and Kazakhstan to join?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
No, you're wrong. My whole point is that this decision is not suitable for the general public. On the surface that sounds arrogant, but the reality it is far more complex than many of us appreciate or are willing to devote time to. For example, I expect many of the people who voted Leave in spite of near unanimous expert warning and evidence that it is economic madness, did so to either preserve some personal perception of sovereignty (Nigel's "get our country back") or to reduce immigration pressures. The excellent 24 minute video by Professor Dougan up thread explains very clearly why the popular regain-sovereignty argument is bogus. Voters are welcome to dispute his findings, but not by saying "nah, I don't think so" and that is what many ignorant voters do. That leaves immigration. Voters are entitled to say they think it's too crowded in Britain and they don't want excessive immigration, however, leaving the EU is possibly not the way to achieve that. Even if for the sake of argument we say, it is an effective way to reduce immigration, there is still the knock on economic effects from that which need to be analysed. Ignorant voters don't do that: they decided their gut feeling on one issue entitles them to throw caution to the wind, and vote as they feel right. Their actions will effect everyone (including themselves).
Or else they weren't ignorant - they read, watched and took in everything that was available and then made their own personal independant decision.

Just because they disagree, it doesn't make them ignorant or uninformed.

You could say the same about the 18 to 24 year old's that chose 'remain' - do they all have life experience, degrees, well paid jobs, property etc., and did they 'inform' themselves sufficiently to make a rational decision?

Instead of pointing fingers and being derogatory about those that voted to leave, why not just make an informed decision on how to address the things that will affect you?

I intensely dislike all these generalisations!

It's done. Now it's time to get on with it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 24th 2016 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Or else they weren't ignorant - they read, watched and took in everything that was available and then made their own personal independant decision.

Just because they disagree, it doesn't make them ignorant or uninformed.

You could say the same about the 18 to 24 year old's that chose 'remain' - do they all have life experience, degrees, well paid jobs, property etc., and did they 'inform' themselves sufficiently to make a rational decision?

Instead of pointing fingers and being derogatory about those that voted to leave, why not just make an informed decision on how to address the things that will affect you?

I intensely dislike all these generalisations!

It's done. Now it's time to get on with it.

There is generalizations and then there are statistics

EU referendum: How the results compare to the UK's educated, old and immigrant populations
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I think the thought that 27 countries in Europe that were potentially open to them and now may no longer be so was probably an influencing factor. It certainly was for my daughter.

S

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a bit rich that the Americans and Canadians are attacking us about this when they have the longest tightly secured border in the world.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:35 pm
me/moi

Absolutely Remain voters can be ignorant and uninformed too. Someone who voted Remain because they like holidaying in France is ignorant of the issues. It's not a derogatory remark it's a statement.

In the case of the Leave vote however, there is some criticism to be made. The economic case and even the sovereign case are are well supported. Analogy: newbie comes on BE and says they plan to immigrate to Canada next month because they are a teacher and are sure they can find work. There will be a be a host of "experts" advising newbie that it would be an unwise move, that legislation and past experience strongly suggests a very difficult time ahead. An ignorant/uninformed person will ignore all that, because they just know it's possible. I would call that the wrong decision. If that decision effects just the individual, it's not a problem, but when it effects everyone, it is.

We will get on with it, and Britain will survive, but for people who are directly affected by a decision made in false-premises or randomly (like the girl in the video) there is bound to be some residual frustration. As Will Self commented on the news tonight, many people's lives have been turned upside down by this decision.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Will the remaining EU members be expanding the union to allow countries like Turkey, Belarus and Kazakhstan to join?
Talking of expanding - if my facebook is anything to go by, leave voters are considerably fatter than remain voters. I wonder if there is a BMI divide along with a generational one?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Google search spike casts doubts on U.K. Brexit knowledge

just going to leave that there. This is what happens when you trust a referendum to people who voted Boaty McBoat face as the name for a new ship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.