Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Graveyard shifts and sleep.....or lack of.

Graveyard shifts and sleep.....or lack of.

Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:11 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graveyard shifts and sleep.....or lack of.

Originally Posted by jandro
Years ago I worked at a Paddington hotel desk every Sunday night from 07:00pm to 07:00am the following Monday morning for a wage of £20.00 a shift. Then I had to go to my regular job for 09:00. I slept well the Monday night. I quit after a few months as the long shift made me tired the rest of the week.
£1.66 per hr, were you an illegal immigrant?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:53 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danny B
£1.66 per hr, were you an illegal immigrant?
No.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Years ago I worked at a Paddington hotel desk every Sunday night from 07:00pm to 07:00am the following Monday morning for a wage of £20.00 a shift. Then I had to go to my regular job for 09:00. I slept well the Monday night. I quit after a few months as the long shift made me tired the rest of the week.
I used to do the 2 job thing, working 11pm to 7am and then 8am to 4pm, it was tiring and I wasn't able to do it long term, I used public transit, so I'd not get home from the 2nd job until nearly 6pm, and I had to leave for the 11p job at 10pm, so I was only getting 3-3.5 hours sleep most days.

I was only making 6.75 US per hour at the 2nd job (retailer) and the hotel which was the overnight job paid 7.35 US per hour.

That was back in 2013 when min. wage in California was 6.75 and federal was 5 something, 5.75 or 5.25, somewhere around there.

I still made more back then with both jobs combined then I do now, but no way I could survive those long days and no sleep now, it was bad enough back then at 23, not sure my body could do it now.