Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Grandparents.......Arrgghh!

Grandparents.......Arrgghh!

Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandparents.......Arrgghh!

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Beg to differ on this one. My MIL is the woman who tells everyone her husband is 'just lazy'. He's seriously ill with Parkinson's Disease and has the cheek therefore not be any use round the house anymore. Seriously nasty individual.
Yours is like mine, and strangely enough OH father has Parkinson's disease, she is the exact opposite and stops him doing anything, makes him feel useless, he has always been so active and even now still does a little rock climbing but can't really hold the ropes anymore.

She has openly told us i am not what she wanted for a DIL. she even wrote OH a letter telling him if he moved in with me she would not see him again, of course she had to back down,when we were married, there are too many incidents to list, thank goodness OH isn't like either of them, he is warm and loving i do see some traits coming through now and agin but soon tell him

OH has just told me they are calling in on there way down to his sisters ( London ) on christmas eve they just want a cup of tea
my parents will be here and they can't abide them, love great Granddad ( her father ) he is coming with them.

They are coming to stay on the 27th on there way back, she told him she will bring there own bedding as i use a different powder and her skin is so sensitive :curse: he thinks she is helping to cut the washing down, i use fairy to wash with, have lovely bedding and make it beautiful in the guest rooms arghhhhhhhhh
maybe i can go to my adoptive mums cabin LornaD with all you others hahahah Sue.
p.s. you don't think she may have read all of these
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

We have a two bed basement suite up for grabs. Snow here and sunshine - first come first served!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

We have a two bed basement suite up for grabs. Snow here and sunshine - first come first served!
On my way

sue
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:56 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed! Why do you think we're here?

Think I've sort of hijacked Piff Poff's thread - hope the family issues sort themselves out. The family secret I discovered when sorting out the move is still live with me. I am debating what to do about it. No fun whatsoever. But it's Christmas, so I'll deal with that in the New Year!

Hijack away! I don't mind

Now it seems to me that a lot of us who have/are emigrating have family issues - is that why we leave 'em all behind?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hijack away! I don't mind

Now it seems to me that a lot of us who have/are emigrating have family issues - is that why we leave 'em all behind?
Absolutely...although I wish I'd forgotten to provide a forwarding address....

MIL sent my birthday card with a second class UK stamp on it. My OH pointed it out and she said, 'well, I wasn't going to pay for Air Mail'.....then announced she was going on ANOTHER cruise....'tis hard to be a pensioner.....
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:03 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Sometimes "the last one to know" syndrome is not done out of spite but out of consideration, as they were not sure how you would react.

We too have been through something pretty similar last year.

It was handled thus:

No accusations about - why wasn't I told years ago - just answer by saying "I know about X and understand your reasons for not telling me"

Understanding to those directly involved ie "That must have been really hard for you to have gone through that at the time"

And finally "I still love you all regardless of <this thing>"

Another member of the family acted completely the opposite when they found out and made the situation really difficult.

Just bear in mind it won't only be you that will be hurting.

As Rob4BC said - its what you do with your life that makes you the person you are. Best wishes Piff Poff
Great advice, just take a deep breath and broach the subject as above. It'll probably all turn out OK. Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Beg to differ on this one. My MIL is the woman who tells everyone her husband is 'just lazy'. He's seriously ill with Parkinson's Disease and has the cheek therefore not be any use round the house anymore. Seriously nasty individual.
Bummer, I am often surprised at how many just plain nasty/stupid people there are.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, but in the long run, she's the one who loses out. God knows who'll bother with her when my FIL passes away.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:17 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

We could have a Canada trawl instead of a pub crawl, that's my place in the spring then and then onto the MkMurrays for the summer ey!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
We could have a Canada trawl instead of a pub crawl, that's my place in the spring then and then onto the MkMurrays for the summer ey!
Im up for that, i like a good trawl shall i bring the nuts, oh yeh im already coming
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:33 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

And we could always hook up the Travelaire to go onto somewhere else too!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Yey, we're up for it. Good idea to pencil us in for the summer.....high 20'C and swimming in the lake.......
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
And we could always hook up the Travelaire to go onto somewhere else too!
preferably somewhere warm
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yey, we're up for it. Good idea to pencil us in for the summer.....high 20'C and swimming in the lake.......
Is there a monster in the Lake oh yes i forgot your MIL wont travel will she

cheers sue
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jamie123
Is there a monster in the Lake oh yes i forgot your MIL wont travel will she

cheers sue
We have the Ogopogo - should be enough to take on MIL....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.