Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gotta love US Immigration.

Gotta love US Immigration.

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gotta love US Immigration.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im sure if you were conducting a job interview and the person was busy texting I guess they might not be considered for the job and you might find it a tad rude.
The idea that inspection on entry to one's country of residence is like a job interview is, I think, far fetched. I certainly conduct myself differently.

At the border, the official has no power to do anything for the entering resident. He or she does have the power to inconvenience the resident. The fondest hope of the resident is to see the official for as short a time as possible and never again. Accordingly, what's needed is an attitude that will get the matter done with quickly; deference, simple accurate answers to direct questions, nothing said that need not be. One must seem to be attentive and so, yes, one must suppress the urge to do something more useful than indulging the minion, something such as sending email or telephoning to announce one's arrival.

At a job interview one has an interest, one seeks to impress, one would not want to operate such a device.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The idea that inspection on entry to one's country of residence is like a job interview is, I think, far fetched. I certainly conduct myself differently.

At the border, the official has no power to do anything for the entering resident. He or she does have the power to inconvenience the resident. The fondest hope of the resident is to see the official for as short a time as possible and never again. Accordingly, what's needed is an attitude that will get the matter done with quickly; deference, simple accurate answers to direct questions, nothing said that need not be. One must seem to be attentive and so, yes, one must suppress the urge to do something more useful than indulging the minion, something such as sending email or telephoning to announce one's arrival.

At a job interview one has an interest, one seeks to impress, one would not want to operate such a device.
If only people would read this answer and heed your suggestions and conduct themselves accordingly then Im sure the complaints would subside on both sides.
My own personal observations of residents dealing with Canadian Customs and US Customs are night and day in some aspects. I find that Canadians tend to respect or comply with US inspections and do indeed adopt the correct attitude whereas with Canadian authorities they tend to see us as being a hassle and obstacle in getting home.
Im not saying that all of our Inspectors are shining examples but people need to accept that we are not WalMart greeters and have a job to do.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Or, just don't post stupid things
Yeah but it's Twitter for Christ's sake, the whole purpose of it is to post stupid and daft things, and the 140 character limit almost guarantees misinterpretation if you aren't familiar with how that person talks irl.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

NBC is reporting that CBP got the information from the LAX tipline, so there was no intelligence file.

I find it very hard to believe someone saw that tweet and randomly phoned up the LAX tipline, if indeed that tip came in that way it came from someone in officialdom who did it to avoid having to use the formal intelligence route, which is a circumvention of official procedures. So in fact they were incorrectly treated.

Either that or CBP are lying to NBC.

Either way, the treatment this couple got was not above board and CBP have egg on their face.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:05 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
At our airport the signage for cell phone off entering US pre clearance is quite prominent and they even have a security guard asking you if you have a cell phone and to turn it off.
As for any other signage especially entering Canada Customs well you wont see any as our leaders seem to think that posting such signs would breach the passengers Charter of Rights FFS.
The first time we went over the border to the US we got to the door and saw the signs right there, displayed very prominently on the front of the glass saying to leave mobile telephones in the vehicle, so we turned right round and went back to put them in our car.

On seeing us do this, the young US Border Guard who was searching vehicles said in a jolly tone,
"Well, you passed the first test - you proved you can read English!"
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I must be losing touch with what is acceptable today. Are cell phones/crackberries the new dummy or pacifier today? I swear taking one off a person or telling them to turn one off is like threatening to take their first born.
I sometimes wonder if they get pulled over for speeding or other traffic offences they are still on it when the police officer is giving them a ticket.
Maybe I should adopt the attitude some of our officers are now starting to display by sending them to secondary examination and delaying them.
Maybe the message will get out and they will turn them OFF.