Got Interview - Help!

Got Interview - Help!

Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:58 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road
Question Got Interview - Help!

Hi,
folowing a recent telephone interview I have been asked to attend a second interview in person, nerves are kicking in already!

I am trying to find out more about the interview process but expect it to be a panel interview (5) as the telephone interview was.

As this will be my first (hopefully only interview) any tips on how to have a sucessful interview in Canada?

Thanks
TMB
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got Interview - Help!

Apart from observing that in experience interviews in Canada have not been markedly different to interviews in Canada, I'd ask whereabouts and for what sort of job?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:27 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

It might be a bit easier to respond if you gave us an indication of the industry or role type. Some companies just do interviews others have a range of things - personality profiling, case studies, presentations etc. Have they provided an agenda for the interview session?

You can't do much about personality profiling - they are what they are and trying to provide answers you think they want will just get you in trouble plus you may not know what type they are actually looking for.....

Again, have examples and situations you can refer to in terms of supporting your answers - they will be looking for evidence of your competence.

There are some cultural nuances between British employers (sweeping statement I know) and Canadian employers - an example I can think of is work/life balance.

Happy to help further
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:05 am
tmb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MCrocker
It might be a bit easier to respond if you gave us an indication of the industry or role type. Some companies just do interviews others have a range of things - personality profiling, case studies, presentations etc. Have they provided an agenda for the interview session?

You can't do much about personality profiling - they are what they are and trying to provide answers you think they want will just get you in trouble plus you may not know what type they are actually looking for.....

Again, have examples and situations you can refer to in terms of supporting your answers - they will be looking for evidence of your competence.

There are some cultural nuances between British employers (sweeping statement I know) and Canadian employers - an example I can think of is work/life balance.

Happy to help further
Sorry Atlantic Xpat & MCrocker didnt mean to be so cryptic!
The job is working for the City of Medicine Hat as a General Manager for Fire and Disaster Services. So far the only information I have is that there is a second interview (I am not the only candidtate), what that entials I am trying to find out, however the interview usually plays the greatest part in the selection process so any help in that area would be greatfull recieived

Thanks
TMB
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:17 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

My experience is that it would be competency based so you will need examples of each of the competencies - to be safe have at least two for each that you can draw on. They probably ask you to walk them through your resume as wel

It would probably be worth researching local issues as fire and disaster in the UK may be quite different from here e.g. avalanches, major forest fires, snow melt flooding etc. Also try and get an understanding of the civic structure and how it works here - RCMP/Police/Municipal enforcement etc.

Often you'll get asked questions like "what would you do in your first six months if you were successful" so researching the current issues they have might be good and get your head around what you would actually do in terms of practical steps that you would take.

Always think about the question and why they would be asking it - often they give clues to some of the issues they are having.

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:53 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MCrocker
My experience is that it would be competency based so you will need examples of each of the competencies - to be safe have at least two for each that you can draw on. They probably ask you to walk them through your resume as wel

It would probably be worth researching local issues as fire and disaster in the UK may be quite different from here e.g. avalanches, major forest fires, snow melt flooding etc. Also try and get an understanding of the civic structure and how it works here - RCMP/Police/Municipal enforcement etc.

Often you'll get asked questions like "what would you do in your first six months if you were successful" so researching the current issues they have might be good and get your head around what you would actually do in terms of practical steps that you would take.

Always think about the question and why they would be asking it - often they give clues to some of the issues they are having.

Good luck
MCrocker, thanks for the good advise.
Regards
TMB