Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Stephen H., or more arrogance?

Wikiposts

Goodbye Stephen H., or more arrogance?

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Stephen H., or more arrogance?

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
At least here in Canada your City and Provincial Governments have far more say in your day to day life than the Federal Government.

Italy has managed to survive and prosper with poor coalition governments for years. Maybe Canadian wine will improve.
"survive"?....as in organised chaos...I would not use Italy as a recommendation for coalition Government! Or for that matter Israel
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Perhaps not, however Dion would be held to ransome so to speak at every turn by his two co-conspiritors, who one way or another will try to spend their way into the hearts of their respective supporters...and all Canadians will bear the cost, which will be to our long term detriment! In otherwords, a (unelected) selfserving, economical shambles. Thats quite a lot, opposed to " he's not likely to do anything very much"
I don't think he could launch any drastic spending campaign. If, for example, he were to introduce a billing to federally fund refurbishment of Toronto co-op apartments, he'd risk the Bloc allying with the Conservatives to defeat that. I think a coalition would be short lived, fractious, unstable and ineffective. Ideal really.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:57 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I have already stated my views on this and surprisingly enough they mirror quite closely dbd33.

What people need to keep in mind with Dion is he has already stated he will resign as Liberal leader and is only staying on until a new Liberal leader is elected next April.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:59 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Perhaps not, however Dion would be held to ransome so to speak at every turn by his two co-conspiritors, who one way or another will try to spend their way into the hearts of their respective supporters...and all Canadians will bear the cost, which will be to our long term detriment! In otherwords, a (unelected) selfserving, economical shambles. Thats quite a lot, opposed to " he's not likely to do anything very much"
Quit with this "his two co-conspirators" nonsense already! The coalition is between the Liberals and the NDP. The Bloc has simply given an (unwritten) assurance that it will not force a confidence vote for at least 18 months.

That is effectively exactly how the Bloc behaved towards Harper's Conservatives in the last administration. If the Bloc had voted against any significant measure they held just enough seats to have forced a confidence vote which Harper would have lost. So his previous government was held up by the Bloc in precisely the same way that the proposed Lib/NDP coalition will be. It's complete hypocrisy of Conservative politicians and supporters to make any sort of issue out of this.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:59 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Unelected? Remember 14th October? I remember it all too well. Voters voted for the MP from their riding. Governments and prime ministers follow on from that.
QUOTE]

Individually they are elected, but as a goverment they are clearly unelected.

If you are using that logic..then every minority government will be subsequently toppled by the "losers" joining forces to increase their proportion of seats after making up a reason for a no-confidence vote.

I hope it goes to a new election.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:00 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This seems as good a time as any to put the lie to Harper's national unity scare tactics. Most people know about this of course, but it would be silly to forget it.

September 9, 2004

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.
Governor-General
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A1

Excellency,

As leaders of the opposition parties, we are well aware that, given the Liberal minority government, you could be asked by the Prime Minister to dissolve the 38th Parliament at any time should the House of Commons fail to support some part of the government's program.

We respectfully point out that the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the House, have been in close consultation. We believe that, should a request for dissolution arise this should give you cause, as constitutional practice has determined, to consult the opposition leaders and consider all of your options before exercising your constitutional authority.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.
Leader of the Opposition
Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada

Gilles Duceppe, M.P.
Leader of the Bloc Quebecois

Jack Layton, M.P.
Leader of the New Democratic Party

So much for Harper's integrity.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:04 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=andrewrb143;7033159]
Unelected? Remember 14th October? I remember it all too well. Voters voted for the MP from their riding. Governments and prime ministers follow on from that.
QUOTE]

If you are using that logic..then every minority government will be subsequently toppled by the "losers" joining forces to increase their proportion of seats after making up a reason for a no-confidence vote.

Yes. Exactly. That is why minority governments have to be conciliatory in the measures they bring before Parliament, and recognise that if they introduce unpopular bills they will likely be voted down. Harper and Flaherty misjudged the mood of the House to such an extent over the economic statement made by Flaherty that it precipitated a uniting of opposition parties to force a no-confidence vote (that Harper is running away from as fast as he can, first by delaying debate and now potentially by asking for a prorogation of Parliament altogether). If he hadn't been so out of touch with anybody outside of his Albertan clique, Harper wouldn't have put himself in this position. He has nobody to blame but himself.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by andrewrb143

I think stating "will" be toppled is overstating the fact.

But to say that every minority government faces the "possibility" of being toppled is a fact and a legitimate part of our parliamentary system.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think a coalition would be short lived, fractious, unstable and ineffective.
You might be right, but you might also be surprised. Sometimes coalitions can be unexpectedly effective at delivering good governance.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:09 am
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I think stating "will" be toppled is overstating the fact.

But to say that every minority government faces the "possibility" of being toppled is a fact and a legitimate part of our parliamentary system.
I think if this happens though it will set a precedent..of dubious no-confidence motions on issues most politicians don't understand.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If he hadn't been so out of touch with anybody outside of his Albertan clique, Harper wouldn't have put himself in this position. He has nobody to blame but himself.

The vast majority of Albertans are very upset with the opposition parties understandably so most of them voted Conservative. But a large number of them are furious at Harper for bringing it on himself and the party.

I think Harper was totally out of touch with reality and this was the action of "his" giant ego, I'm not sure that anyone else was involved.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You might be right, but you might also be surprised. Sometimes coalitions can be unexpectedly effective at delivering good governance.
That is my model for good governance. I want MPs to take their pay and adjourn to the bar.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
That is my model for good governance. I want MPs to take their pay and adjourn to the bar.
Amusingly cynical as ever dbd33.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:20 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
I think if this happens though it will set a precedent..of dubious no-confidence motions on issues most politicians don't understand.
Are you aware that in (West) Germany between 1949 and reunification in 1990, the only changes in government took place as a result of realignments among coalition partners. Precedent?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
Jedi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Are you aware that in (West) Germany between 1949 and reunification in 1990, the only changes in government took place as a result of realignments among coalition partners. Precedent?
I guess I should say precedent in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.