Reload this Page >

Good tips BEFORE you move from UK - CANADA

Wikiposts

Good tips BEFORE you move from UK - CANADA

Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good tips BEFORE you move from UK - CANADA

My cousin just gave me some really sound advice for our move to Toronto this summer. So just passing this on for anyone else really who hasn't YET left the UK.

If you intend on driving in Canada, make sure you bring with you evidence from your insurance company/ies of how many years you have been driving, otherwise they will treat you as a new driver, so think about those insurance premiums?

Although I think this is self explanatory, do open up a bank account in Canada and get a visa asap to build up some credit history, because you won't have anything when you first get there, effectively starting out like a school leaver!

LinLaz
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Good tips BEFORE you move from UK - CANADA

Bring over as much of your posessions as you can, because they are expensive to replace here.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linlaz
My cousin just gave me some really sound advice for our move to Toronto this summer. So just passing this on for anyone else really who hasn't YET left the UK.

If you intend on driving in Canada, make sure you bring with you evidence from your insurance company/ies of how many years you have been driving, otherwise they will treat you as a new driver, so think about those insurance premiums?

Although I think this is self explanatory, do open up a bank account in Canada and get a visa asap to build up some credit history, because you won't have anything when you first get there, effectively starting out like a school leaver!

LinLaz

The banks will try to give you a very small credit limit on your visa - if you bring money with you from a house sale then use it to bargain with the bank to get a better limit. Our bank wanted to give $1000 limit on arrival, we argued, threatened to move our account if they didn't up it. By the end of the afternoon we had a $15,000 limit. So my advice is don't just take what they offer first - try negotiating and ask for the manager.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks that is great advice.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:09 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linlaz

LinLaz
Wow these are really awesome tips - I wonder if they should maybe go in the WIKI?????
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:52 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Wow these are really awesome tips - I wonder if they should maybe go in the WIKI?????
Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Play nice, you know as well as I do that all this and much more is already in the wiki
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:07 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Play nice, you know as well as I do that all this and much more is already in the wiki
It is?? OMG - that's sooo useful , am surprised people dont use it more often
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:24 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
It is?? OMG - that's sooo useful , am surprised people dont use it more often
I know - why not have a post called something like "Read Me First" so that posters, new and old, could be directed towards useful resources like the Wiki? Perhaps there is some mechanism for making such a post always appear at the top of the screen?

...oh...
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:01 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I know - why not have a post called something like "Read Me First" so that posters, new and old, could be directed towards useful resources like the Wiki? Perhaps there is some mechanism for making such a post always appear at the top of the screen?

...oh...
That's just crazy talk.... too much time at home my lad you're getting stir crazy.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:30 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

1 goo d tip before u leave the uk is to get rid of all your spare silver and coppers.....they doesnt fit in canadian vending machines neither.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:36 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

my best tip would be to buy a travel plug for every appliance you have and then you can bring them all over without the need to replace.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:55 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

my best tip would be to buy a travel plug for every appliance you have and then you can bring them all over without the need to replace.
Including block heaters ?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Especially block heaters.

FYI my travel plug / hair straightener combo gives out double the heat it did in the UK due to something or other kilovoltagewatts not being compatible - imagine if that was your block heater????

You'd only need to have it plugged in for half the time - another money saver right there.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:59 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I did bring a shed load of adapters over!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.