Going to the Sun

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going to the Sun

Thinking of a few days away in Glacier/Waterton Parks and fancy the Going to the Sun road trip. I know some of you have done this so, if you'd be so kind, I'd like any information you can offer in regards of where to stay, best side to enter the park from, etc.
Many thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to the Sun

Originally Posted by Inse
Thinking of a few days away in Glacier/Waterton Parks and fancy the Going to the Sun road trip. I know some of you have done this so, if you'd be so kind, I'd like any information you can offer in regards of where to stay, best side to enter the park from, etc.
Many thanks.
You might find the FAQ's helpful, particularly as it gives accommodation links.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gttsrfaq.htm

Are services like gas, lodging, food, and picnic areas available on the Going-to-the-Sun Road?

Gas is not available anywhere in the park or on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Food and lodging can be found along the road at Rising Sun, Lake McDonald Lodge, and Apgar Village. Picnic areas may be found at Rising Sun, Sun point, Avalanche Creek, Sprague Creek, and Apgar.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Siouxie, I've already had a decko at that. I was looking more for personal experiences as, sometimes, what you see isn't always what you get, that's all.
Cheers again though.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Many thanks.
There is no "best side". The road is a single road and looks similar from each direction. The stop offsto take piccies are obvious and there is an interpretative centre at the top. It is worth a stop but during busy times it can be a nightmare obtaining a parking space.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We went a few years ago, and are taking some friends along the road this summer. Last time, we stayed the night before in Whitefish then entered at that end. Think we will do the same again this year. Lots of stop-offs and laybys. Take a picnic and make sure the camera battery is well charged!

Enjoy - it really is so very pretty.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing trip, wecwent Browning end and stayed in whitefish, and also Kalispell and out the other end.