Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Global BC News Hour (June 23rd) British Immigrants story

Global BC News Hour (June 23rd) British Immigrants story

Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global BC News Hour (June 23rd) British Immigrants story

Originally Posted by iaink
No, Im saying that if they can speak English well enough to qualify then they have already shown some adaptation, and who knows, may even be able to settle in Canada without constantly whining about the state of the cheese here, or the driving, or the absence of "culture".
I trust you're joking. I hear so much about the superiority of the cheese in Macao, in Uruguay, even in America!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I trust you're joking. I hear so much about the superiority of the cheese in Macao, in Uruguay, even in America!
I enjoyed a very pleasant cheese platter in a little bistro in Singapore recently. So you may be onto something.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I enjoyed a very pleasant cheese platter in a little bistro in Singapore recently. So you may be onto something.
The guy from Laos never mentions cheese. He does have a gripe with the tofu but his English isn't strong enough to pontificate on the nuances of tofu. Neither's mine.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Those asian types love Canadian food. It's why they set up all those shops and restaurants where they can go to avoid eating it.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:14 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That wouldn't happen to have been in a little lane near Chinatown, would it?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

Canada doesn't really need English immigrants as they are not prepared to drive taxi's, serve pizza or clean toilets for their children's sake.
Oh, really? I clean toilets (and wax floors, clean-up puke, and make sure that the 98,000sq ft junior high that I work in is clean and safe and warm everyday -- me and two others. And I am not the only Brit that is doing that form of employment. Don't try to tar us all with the same brush: the ones that appear on the forum bemoaning the lack of employment, seem to be the white, middle-class professionals who wail that they haven't found anything in their field for seven months! Unlike the Chinese and Philipino professionals I work with -- yes, we do have a doctor, and a physics teacher on our staff!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Yes. This street.
Attached Thumbnails Global BC News Hour (June 23rd) British Immigrants story-img_0254.jpg  

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jun 24th 2011 at 6:49 am.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Oh, really? I clean toilets (and wax floors, clean-up puke, and make sure that the 98,000sq ft junior high that I work in is clean and safe and warm everyday -- me and two others. And I am not the only Brit that is doing that form of employment. Don't try to tar us all with the same brush: the ones that appear on the forum bemoaning the lack of employment, seem to be the white, middle-class professionals who wail that they haven't found anything in their field for seven months! Unlike the Chinese and Philipino professionals I work with -- yes, we do have a doctor, and a physics teacher on our staff!
I would be amazed if such people cannot find work in their field in Calgary, particularly if they have passed the necessary "transfer of qualifications" requirements.

Just the other day I was in Court with an opponent that spoke English so poorly that the Judge was not prepared to deal with the matter and adjourned it. He must have been able to persuade his employer that he would be an asset to the firm. The Judge didn't ask him if he spoke French, which is just as well as I would have looked a right Charlie
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:00 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Ha! I know the one you mean. Lovely little place.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would be amazed if such people cannot find work in their field in Calgary, particularly if they have passed the necessary "transfer of qualifications" requirements.

Just the other day I was in Court with an opponent that spoke English so poorly that the Judge was not prepared to deal with the matter and adjourned it. He must have been able to persuade his employer that he would be an asset to the firm. The Judge didn't ask him if he spoke French, which is just as well as I would have looked a right Charlie
Yes, it is amazing! Perhaps you should pop down to your local school and ask the little Oriental fellow working as a caretaker (around 40 percent of the workforce in facilities is Asian, and more than half of my SAIT Facility Management class is from that part of the world) what he was doing before arriving in Canada? They probably have as much of a grievance against the Canadian immigration system, which seems to be set up to have the best-educated janitorial workforce in the world (although I was only a typesetter when I came here, arriving on my wife's job and points qualification, and bitterly regretting it ever since).
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:40 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it is amazing! Perhaps you should pop down to your local school and ask the little Oriental fellow working as a caretaker (around 40 percent of the workforce in facilities is Asian, and more than half of my SAIT Facility Management class is from that part of the world) what he was doing before arriving in Canada?
How true, how true, the Senior FO at the last school my wife temped at was a school principal in Korea, he came here for his kids to have a better life not necessarily himself.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:13 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

English rather than British immigrants should get priority when it comes to admittance. We share the same culture, language and in general we're far more educated than most. Plus, most of the Canadians I know strive to emulate Anglo culture.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is amazing! Perhaps you should pop down to your local school and ask the little Oriental fellow working as a caretaker (around 40 percent of the workforce in facilities is Asian, and more than half of my SAIT Facility Management class is from that part of the world) what he was doing before arriving in Canada? They probably have as much of a grievance against the Canadian immigration system, which seems to be set up to have the best-educated janitorial workforce in the world (although I was only a typesetter when I came here, arriving on my wife's job and points qualification, and bitterly regretting it ever since).
You have obviously missed the "transfer of qualifications" point I made above. I take it all those rocket scientists haven't managed to satisfy the required licensing boards of their abilities. You'll get no argument from me that the hurdles they place are nonsense but, once cleared, I stand by my comment that it would be relatively easy to find work in Calgary.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:41 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
English rather than British immigrants should get priority when it comes to admittance. We share the same culture, language and in general we're far more educated than most. Plus, most of the Canadians I know strive to emulate Anglo culture.
I agree.

Don't start lumping me in with the Welsh, Scots or Irish.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:41 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

so did this story air or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.