Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Glasses - best deals other than on line

Glasses - best deals other than on line

Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glasses - best deals other than on line

We've had a thread not too long ago about glasses on line and I have reservations - pupil distance measurement, aftercare, delays, what if they arrive damaged, adjustments can be made properly in store that might damage them if you DIY etc. And I can see them on in the store.

So accepting that when the time comes my next pair will also be from a store, what are the best options?

I object to a second pair free policy. I don't want a second pair. I've never needed a second pair nor do I want prescription sunglasses.

I want to pay less for one pair rather than pay more for something I don't want.

Vogue Optical, to their credit, have introduced an alternative whereby if you have one pair only, it's reduced by the cost of your eye test up to $100. Why $100 when the eye test is $95 I don't know, but let's go with the $100.

When I was last there, with stepdaughter who got a new pair (and free second pair) I noticed some frames I'd be very happy with for around $180. I believe they have some from $89 but I didn't like them.
Lenses and anti-scratch would take them to around $300.

Now, a free second pair might be worth as much as $300 and good value for money, but not if you never have any use for them.

Having a $100 credit (for the eye test) and paying only $200 is reasonably appealing. And if you did buy the cheapest pair - about $200 all in, for only $100 - that's pretty good too.

If, like me, you pay more for thin lenses or some other 'extra' then the $300 could become $400-$450. But the credit remains the same $100 and it doesn't look so good anymore.

Does anyone know of an optician - national one of course - that does something better? Or is there a recommendation for a national store (Walmart, Costco, Sears, Loblaws, Vogue, Hakim etc) that is so much better value - but not 'el cheapo'

On the previous thread, Costco got a recommendation but that was for kids' glasses and adults specs may not be the same.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasses - best deals other than on line

I'd use Costco. I have done so previously and they were good. Last time I usedLenscrafters as you can get a CAA discount but I'm not overly impressed.

Online I'd use Zenni Optical. The pair I got from them was fine apart from me giving them the wrong PD. They dealt with my questions well but in the end the fault was mine not theirs.

My specs are usually in the $800 range, complicated prescription.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I'd use Costco...
We have one near one of the Superstores here but there are strong rumours they're moving to an inconvenient area out of town.

Maybe someone has a price comparison for Costco and alternative.

My specs are usually in the $800 range, complicated prescription.
My wife's wasn't straightforward and my last pair was piggy backed as her second pair.

I always thought the nature of the free pair was because the costs of producing a second pair were little different to just one pair, but it seems that's not the case if it can be for something entirely different.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Zehrs/Loblaws or whatever they're called in NB had some good deals the other day when I went in. Think they were doing 50% in April.
They talked me out of buying any as I have the same prescription in both eyes and recommend cheap cheaters!!

Worth checking Loblaws/Superstore out?
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Zehrs/Loblaws or whatever they're called in NB had some good deals the other day when I went in. Think they were doing 50% in April....Worth checking Loblaws/Superstore out?
Just checked and they're doing 50% for most of June. About to run out but if they did it in April then maybe it's quite regular. I shall keep an eye open thanks
I'll check regularly just to get an idea of 'normal' pricing.

What are cheap cheaters?
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

So, after you pickup your new eye ware do you give any thought as to the accuracy of the lenses vs the prescription? A few years ago there was a segment on one of the investigative type TV shows, W5 or Fifth Estate probably. Someone was sent out for eye tests to 5 Optometrists and spectacles ordered from five sources. After being made the spectacles were measured for accuracy by the Head of Opthamology Dept. at Univ.of Toronto.
Not one set of lenses matched its prescription, a couple were close and a couple were way off. Not a good advert for the Optometry business.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just checked and they're doing 50% for most of June. About to run out but if they did it in April then maybe it's quite regular. I shall keep an eye open thanks
I'll check regularly just to get an idea of 'normal' pricing.

What are cheap cheaters?
I have the same prescription in both eyes so I can buy the cheapies from Walmart or wherever.

Foster Grant now do multi focal too so for $35 I can read and see in the distance! Even the optician felt that it was pointless getting prescription glasses although I don't think she knew about the FG multi focal as she suggested having three different pairs! Lol
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 4:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
So, after you pickup your new eye ware do you give any thought as to the accuracy of the lenses vs the prescription?
Not if I see perfectly, no.

If I couldn't see perfectly I suppose I might wonder that something was wrong.

Some years ago I took a free trial of soft contact lenses but I just didn't get on with them. This was a surprise because a few years previously I was a soft CL wearer but had to take a break due to a problem caused by wearing them for too long.

I went back and one of them was the wrong prescription.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We have one near one of the Superstores here but there are strong rumours they're moving to an inconvenient area out of town.

Maybe someone has a price comparison for Costco and alternative.

My wife's wasn't straightforward and my last pair was piggy backed as her second pair.

I always thought the nature of the free pair was because the costs of producing a second pair were little different to just one pair, but it seems that's not the case if it can be for something entirely different.
In my experience the second pair has never included high refractive index glass.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

llysmabley is an unknown quantity at this point

I need 4.0 lenses but the cheapie ones seem to only go up to 3.5.
Any providers who do 4.0 around ?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

How about the ones you get online? They usually come in quite cheap.