Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Getting Pulled Over By The Police

Getting Pulled Over By The Police

Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:00 am
Nil Desperandum Illegitim

lwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting Pulled Over By The Police

Over Easter I took the family on our first "road trip" since we moved to Vancouver last August. We decided to keep the trip shortish given the fact that we only had a few days, we decided on a trip to Kelowna.

To break up the journey on the way down we stopped for lunch in a small town called Merritt. My wife voluntered to drive the second leg of the trip down to Kelowna. Just as we were leaving Merritt on highway 5 (I think it was) there was a white police car with lights flashing, a vehicle that had been stopped by the police and a third unmarked car stopped on the hard shoulder. Thinking nothing of it we carried on driving at a speed that was well within the speed limit.

Shortly after overtaking these three stationary vehicles the car at the front followed us with lights flashing (obviously an unmarked police car) so we pulled over.

The police officer explained why we got pulled over: when passing emergency vehicles with lights flashing on the hard shoulder you must reduce your speed to 70 kph AND move over to the inner lane.

Now before I go any further with the story, I wish to make it clear that:

a) we broke the law. We were not aware of this law and I accept that ignorance of the law is no excuse. So I have no complaints here - it's our own fault that we haven't read the highway code
b) the officer was polite and he was doing his job (albeit with a great deal of enthusiasm and zeal) and I don't take issue with that either.

Anyway, back to the story. After the officer checked our details on his computer he said that on this ocassion he would let us off with a warning, he scribbled something on a green piece of paper, handed it to us and bid us farewell. At this point in piped in with "thank you officer", to which he replied in an aggressive way "EXCUSE ME" so I repeated "thank you officer", he turned away and muttered something under his breath. My wife commented that he hadn't liked that at all. I must say I was puzzled by his reaction to my sincere gratitude i.e. we were let off with a "warning".

As we continued on our way I took a look at the piece of paper he left us with and I could just about make out amongst the scrawl: "$173". At this point I realised why he got pissed off with me i.e. he thought I was being sarcastic as he had given me a fine.

I have a few questions:

1. If he let us off with a "warning" which turns out to be a fine for $173. What is the alternative eg. being arrested?
2. I'm used to a "warning" being a bollocking from the police and nothing more. A warning over here appears to include a hefty fine
3. How efficient is the administrative side of the police force? Everything was done manually is the fine likely to be pursued? This is a bit of a rhetorical question as I suppose it depends on many things.
4. How long does one have to pay the fine?

Answers to 1 & 2 & 3 above would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Pulled Over By The Police

My OH has always just paid what's on the fine, he does sometimes get let off with a warning and a lower fine amount.

BTW the speed limit when passing stopped emergency vehicles including tow truck in Alberta is 60kmph. (If you ever come this way).
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

And I think the fine for speeding when passing any emerg vehicle or highway work crews (the orange zone) is double what the normal speeding fine is. It's to protect the workers and on the highway that's 60 kmh.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 27th 2011 at 2:48 am.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:15 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
And I think the fine for speeding when passing any emerg vehicle or highway work crews (the orange zone) is double what the normal speeding fine is. It's to protect the workers and on the highway that's 60 kmh.
Yeah I think your right there.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

This law was new to BC a year or so ago but most people don't know about it.
Recently on the main highway from Kelowna to Lake Country the police staged a test by parking a car with flashing lights on the side of the road and then had another car with camera filming all those that didn't follow the rules. I believe in this instance they just pulled people and gave a warning (no fines) just a verbal "do that again and your nicked" kind of warning. (maybe next time they'll get tasered)
I think you were extremely unlucky and by the sound of it the entire Merritt police force of 1 must have had help that day.

No idea about the fine questions sorry.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:12 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

They do this fairly regularly near to my house. Often the vehicle that has been pulled over is actually a cop car and they do it just over the brow of a hill so you have to get on the the anchors pretty quick to get down below 60, the speed limit is 110. Big revenue raiser.

On another note, amazes me how many people from the UK swap over their licence and don't bother to read a drivers handbook, serves 'em right if they get caught.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:21 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwilli63
1. If he let us off with a "warning" which turns out to be a fine for $173. What is the alternative eg. being arrested?
No alternative. Pay the fine. Move on.

3. How efficient is the administrative side of the police force? Everything was done manually is the fine likely to be pursued? This is a bit of a rhetorical question as I suppose it depends on many things.
If you decide not to pay the fine it is a crap shoot. It the policeman turns up in court you have no chance. Perhaps they will not and the case delayed until it is thrown out.

4. How long does one have to pay the fine?
I think you get a month to pay to get a discount.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you were a bit unlucky.

I got stopped a few months ago after doing a u turn at a set of traffic lights. There was loads of time and I thought it was strange when a car accelerated right behind me - until the flashing lights came on. I told the officer I didn't realise it was illegal and thought it was ok since it was such a common manouvre to see on the roads and I wouldn't do it again. He asked if I was new to Calgary and checked the licence etc and said he wouldn't take it any further. That was a lucky escape.

Apparently its ok to do a u turn as long as it isn't at a traffic light controlled junction.

One of our Canadian neighbours recently got a ticket for parking outside their house facing the wrong way.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:30 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

One of our Canadian neighbours recently got a ticket for parking outside their house facing the wrong way.
He should've known better! I made the mistake once while on a recee over here, there was a crowd of people who stopped to look at me wondering what the heck I was doing parking on the wrong side of the road. They soon told me what I had done wrong.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:22 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I find it amazing how so many people think they are above the law. Coming back from Montreal on Monday, the 40 and 417 were crawling with cops yet people were still doing 140.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
BTW the speed limit when passing stopped emergency vehicles including tow truck in Alberta is 60kmph. (If you ever come this way).
This applies only in the lane right next to the emergency vehicles so if said vehicles are on the shoulder and the are two driving lanes only the right lane must slow to 60kph. It seems academic anyway as just about everyone slows down in both lanes around here.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2079.htm
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

The fine in nova scotia for the offence is $425.35 and three points.they had a little test on the highway close to the Halifax airport where they stopped the first 10 vehicles that passed a stationary police car with its lights on. The lad I work with was lucky number 7. Lol
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

This sort of nonsense is one of the reasons why I take the bus.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:23 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't help you much now, but the stretch of highway approaching Merritt is regularly patrolled by marked and unmarked police cars. They often sit in the grass median on the long downhill run into the city and will clock your speed way before you see them.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwilli63
Answers to 1 & 2 & 3 above would be greatly appreciated.
They will be pretty efficient when it comes to the ticket and if you dont pay it you may find yourself not able to renew your drivers license or insurance with ICBC until said fine is paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.