Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Getting NHS pension in Canada

Getting NHS pension in Canada

Old Dec 8th 2023, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting NHS pension in Canada

I came to Canada in 1988 worked in the Uk for twelve yrs.
Ill be 64 in may.2024
is it even worth my while applying for such a little amount when I turn 65 or is it 67 now.?
Old Dec 8th 2023, 4:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yakkiebush
Ill be 64 in may.2024
is it even worth my while applying for such a little amount when I turn 65 or is it 67 now.?
Yes, if you have more than 10 years NI contributions you've paid for a part pension so you should claim it. It could be around $300 per month. It is not a fortune and will never increase, but still worth having.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes, if you have more than 10 years NI contributions you've paid for a part pension so you should claim it. It could be around $300 per month. It is not a fortune and will never increase, but still worth having.
thanks for the reply.$300.00 seems a lot haha.
i thought the payment you receive was 1988 rates.
did you have to work at least ten yrs to receive a Uk pension.
cheers
Old Dec 9th 2023, 12:55 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply.$300.00 seems a lot haha.
i thought the payment you receive was 1988 rates.
did you have to work at least ten yrs to receive a Uk pension.
cheers
The amount you get is based on the rate current at the time you are eligible and apply. It will never increase. As a mere stripling I can't apply for a few months yet, but I know others who have 10+ years contributions who have applied and now receive a part pension.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Thank you JonboyE
thank you for the feedback .are the people your talking about under the pension age ?
I’ll be 64 in May .i believe the Uk pension is now 66 lol.A long way of yet.
four of my twelve yrs back home I was an apprentice.as you know weren’t on big wages does that lower wages play into you final pension payments.?
hope I’m making sense lol
Cheers
Rob
Old Dec 9th 2023, 11:13 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ill be 64 in may.2024
NHS pension age may well have been 60 when you were in the scheme. Yes, claim it, it's a good pension that rises annually. There's a lump sum that you have to pay tax on in Canada. Also note that you probably opted out of the superannuation part of state pension payments when you were employed by the NHS. NHS HR told everyone to do this, but it now means that your state pension will be reduced for the years you opted out.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi bats
I think your talking to the wrong person.lol
i never worked in NHS
i worked in the Uk from 1976-1988 I was just asking if I would get a pension even though four of them yrs where when I was in a apprenticeship in the shipbuilding industry.
JonboyE reasons I could get about $300.00 dollars a month .not bad I guess I’ll be 64 in May still a couple of yrs to go yet before I’m 66 haha.
thanks for the info
Cheers
Rob
Old Dec 9th 2023, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bats
I think your talking to the wrong person.lol
i never worked in NHS
i worked in the Uk from 1976-1988 I was just asking if I would get a pension even though four of them yrs where when I was in a apprenticeship in the shipbuilding industry.
JonboyE reasons I could get about $300.00 dollars a month .not bad I guess I’ll be 64 in May still a couple of yrs to go yet before I’m 66 haha.
thanks for the info
Cheers
Rob
I think it's because you posted in a thread about NHS pensions, so not an unreasonable assumption to make.

But if you're talking about the UK state pension, then it would be worth you looking to see if you can make voluntary contributions to increase your pension amount - possibly the best investment out there and they'll pay for themselves in no time.

HTH.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think it's because you posted in a thread about NHS pensions, so not an unreasonable assumption to make.

But if you're talking about the UK state pension, then it would be worth you looking to see if you can make voluntary contributions to increase your pension amount - possibly the best investment out there and they'll pay for themselves in no time.

HTH.
thank you Chris .
im not to PC savy to do all that lol.
thank you for your time and patience
cheers
Rob
Old Dec 9th 2023, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you Chris .
im not to PC savy to do all that lol.
thank you for your time and patience
cheers
Rob
You don't need to be PC savvy, you'd just need to apply to make voluntary contributions and would do it via a paper form. https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

You'd need to look in to the details but I think you could buy 16 years worth. Granted, it wouldn't be cheap at nearly £3k (assuming you are eligible for Class 2 of course), but that £3k would pay for itself in no time. If you can buy an extra 16 years, that would equate to £93.12 extra a week on top of your current £30ish, so it would have paid for itself in about 9 months. Even if you had to buy contributions at Class 3 rates, it would still be worth it if you can afford to.

You'd then get nearly $1000 a month (very rough calculation but just to give you an idea).
Old Dec 16th 2023, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Angie Tyrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reidies
Hi I recently applied and have started to receive my NHS pension.
I have got an emergency tax code and IMO have been taxed on the lump sum. I’m hoping that when we file our UK Taxes I’ll get a tax rebate. I didn’t use a FA, but needed to get forms notarized and witnessed. From sending off the application to receiving money was relatively quick. They also backdated it to my 60th birthday.
Hi, I have looked into claiming my NHS pension, I am living in Canada, and have contacted financial advisers who specialize in UK pension transfers and have been told once I have passed the normal pension age (60) the transfer is not allowed, appreciate any help
Old Dec 16th 2023, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Getting NHS pension in Canada

So many rules .forus older folk it’s a lot of work particularly if you worked in construction work all your life and not into computers and the like.
so fruetating that lots of us are gonna lose out what is rightfully ours.
basically our tax payments in the past is supporting other people who have never paid a penny or worked .

Last edited by yakkiebush; Dec 16th 2023 at 6:11 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2023, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

I didn’t transfer any of my UK pensions to Canada, so can’t help you regarding that. I have a small local authority pension and both this and my NHS pension get paid monthly. Both increase annually in line with either, inflation or triple lock, not sure which.
i would inagine that if you transferred it then that wouldn’t be the case.

Originally Posted by Angie Tyrell
Hi, I have looked into claiming my NHS pension, I am living in Canada, and have contacted financial advisers who specialize in UK pension transfers and have been told once I have passed the normal pension age (60) the transfer is not allowed, appreciate any help
Old Dec 16th 2023, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So many rules .forus older folk it’s a lot of work particularly if you worked in construction work all your life and not into computers and the like.
so fruetating that lots of us are gonna lose out what is rightfully ours.
basically our tax payments in the past is supporting other people who have never paid a penny or worked .
Nobody needs to lose out. In fact as expats we can get a full UK state pension at a fraction of the cost that somebody working in the UK would pay for it, via voluntary contributions. And can all be done via good old fashioned pen and paper if required.

But as above, this thread is about NHS pensions, not the UK state pension. So if you worked in construction and have questions or comments about that, best to start a new thread, ta.
Old Dec 19th 2023, 12:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angie Tyrell
Well that's it. You can't after 60. Actually I think that's an NHS pension rule. I applied and they farted around for a long while then I was 60 and couldn't transfer. Which worked out just fine as we moved back.
I received my pension monthly pain into my Canadian bank account. You get the annual rises. You have to pay tax on the lump sum even though it's tax free in the UK.

That's it no big deal either way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.