Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Getting to London from Manchester?

Wikiposts

Getting to London from Manchester?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all
Default Getting to London from Manchester?

Unexpected trip home just booked this afternoon.

To put it simply, im an idiot and even though my PR card expired 9 months ago the application still sits at home not filled out yet.

sure i can risk it and try and board the plane with no valid PR card, but I dont think I want to risk it.

I want to travel down to London from Manchester to get the travel documents I need from the CHC.

Can anyone recommend the best way to get down there? I need to arrive around 7.30am.

Whats a good low cost airline or train company? I've been in Canada so long that im not sure where to start looking!!!

Any advice appreciated!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

snowdogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting to London from Manchester?

lastminute.com sometimes have good deals on
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:42 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

You numpty

How about getting the coach down? The national express is pretty cheap, especially last minute. Just had a quick look at their website, and fares were around 30 quid for a return ticket.

Good luck!

Last edited by jericho; Apr 25th 2011 at 9:52 am.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jericho
You numpty

How about getting the coach down? The national express is pretty cheap, especially last minute. Just had a quick look at their website, and fares were around 30 quid for a return ticket.

Good luck!

Cheers mate i'll have a look... The ones i saw take HOURS!!!

Maybe i'll just try and blag it, Ihave done it before when I forgot my PR card.. they gave me some grief but eventually let me in! If all else fails i suppose i can buy a return ticket.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

You can have a look at thetrainline.com, I got a train from Manchester Airport to Newcastle for Ā£16, it was cheaper than the coach and takes way less time.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Margaret!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:40 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
You numpty

How about getting the coach down? The national express is pretty cheap, especially last minute.
I'd rather take my chances with immigration than subject myself to national express. I probably still carry the emotional scars from my student days when it was the only affordable option.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

I applied yesterday for an emergency PR card...

I made a copy of my expired card before sending it, as well as making copies of my processing payment receipt and recorded delievery receipt, to show that a new card is is process... also will take T4's for the last 4 years and a couple of utility bills.

Hopefully if i whinge and moan that will be good enough... if all else fails i guess i will just buy a return ticket.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:29 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannyg1001
I applied yesterday for an emergency PR card...

I made a copy of my expired card before sending it, as well as making copies of my processing payment receipt and recorded delievery receipt, to show that a new card is is process... also will take T4's for the last 4 years and a couple of utility bills.

Hopefully if i whinge and moan that will be good enough... if all else fails i guess i will just buy a return ticket.
Convincing the immigration people is not the challenge, its getting past the airline jobsworths and getting on the plane. They airline people dont have the latitude that immigration officers have, if their policy needs a PR card then the paperwork wont help. Have you talked to the airline?

Lets face it, the majority of brits on a flight to canada are tourists using the visa waiver program, and no one is going to be refused entry to Canada and have to return at the airlines expense. Even if your PR was expired, my understanding of the situation is that they still legally have to let you in before they can formally boot you out.

If its the return half a a ticket from Canada it should not be an issue, but as I said, talk to the airline. I dont recall anyone posting here to say that with a british passport they were refused boarding due to a PR card problem, but it could happen in theory. More usual are people saying that the immigration people expressed displeasure, but thats about it.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2011 at 1:33 am.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

I emailed Canadian Affair but they were unhelpful... this was their reply (copy and pasted)

Good Morning,

Please contact The Canadian Embassay who would assist with your questions.

Could you perhaps travel on a different passport?

Maybe I should contract Thomas Cook airlines rather than Canadian Affair come to think of it...
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:17 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

car hire might be cheaper, but not good if you need to sleep - we are finding more business visitors driving than we used to

I travel from Leeds to London a lot and it is v pricy at that time, suspect from Manc it would be the same.

A coach to London for that time would be a very early start?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

CanadianLove is an unknown quantity at this point

My british parents live in Canada and have PR cards - after 33 years there they are finally going to apply for citizenship. Main reason is because of the hassle of having to renew the cards. They were here Xmas 2009. They applied for their PR card in the August, but it hadn't arrived when it came time to fly. They were told by airline (canadian affair I believe) and embassy that they would need a temporary visa to get back into the country. So, on one of the snowest mornings we set off and my husband drove them down. We left at about 3:30/4am and we arrived in time. My parents were about 6 in line. In total it took about 2 hours for them to get a temporary visa. We returned home to Huddersfield by 4pm that day. So if you can handle hiring a car I would recommend it - it wasn't actually that bad. If you can rope someone into going with you they can drive home. When my husband and I move to Canada next month he is going to apply for citizenship as soon as he can - he doesn't want the hassle!! Kicker for my parents was that when they got home they found out their new PR cards had been issued the day after they left to come to England for Xmas!!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Talking to my friend last night....

last month he came into Canada with no work permit, no PR card, no status and NO RETURN TICKET. He said he got questioned a bit but nothing major... this does my head in!!!

I bet if I try and do the same thing loaded with proof that I am legal to live and work here they still wont let me on the damn plane!

But yeah, maybe I can hire a car, i never thought of that!!!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:27 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dannyg1001
Talking to my friend last night....

last month he came into Canada with no work permit, no PR card, no status and NO RETURN TICKET. He said he got questioned a bit but nothing major... this does my head in!!!

I bet if I try and do the same thing loaded with proof that I am legal to live and work here they still wont let me on the damn plane!

But yeah, maybe I can hire a car, i never thought of that!!!
Perhaps, but might be because he might be coming genuinely as a tourist, acting as a tourist, only without a return ticket, and you would be acting as a tourist, but actually a returning resident and NOT a tourist, and diligent people can pick up on that, even though, as you say, you are perfectly entitled to enter.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Perhaps, but might be because he might be coming genuinely as a tourist, acting as a tourist, only without a return ticket, and you would be acting as a tourist, but actually a returning resident and NOT a tourist, and diligent people can pick up on that, even though, as you say, you are perfectly entitled to enter.
Good point, but if rules are rules...

Ah well, im just stressing. It took me near 18 months to get my PR card the first time and not only do I have this trip booked with no card, im off to Vegas in August and I dont fancy messing about with the US immigration guys either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.