Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Getting a Canadian ID

Getting a Canadian ID

Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Canadian ID

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I invigilate exams for CGA-BC. To be a student of CGA-BC you have to be resident in the province. Therefore, to sit an exam you are expected to have your student card and photo ID issued by the BC government.

It is not a world away from ITA-BC requirements and I don't think it unreasonable. The OP has put himself in this position by wanting to sit the exams within four days of becoming resident. I appreciate that it is not convenient for him but I don't think it invalidates the ID requirements.
Most expats take full advantage of the "here for 6 month then you HAVE to take it" rule.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Canadian ID

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I invigilate exams for CGA-BC. To be a student of CGA-BC you have to be resident in the province. Therefore, to sit an exam you are expected to have your student card and photo ID issued by the BC government.*

It is not a world away from ITA-BC requirements and I don't think it unreasonable. The OP has put himself in this position by wanting to sit the exams within four days of becoming resident. I appreciate that it is not convenient for him but I don't think it invalidates the ID requirements.

* That said, if someone did not have BC government issued photo ID we are instructed that they are still allowed to sit the exam. We just note this on our exam report. I guess this means it is up the the powers that be to determine if the candidate was eligible to sit the exam.
If the requirement for photo ID is to establish the exam sitter's indentity, then it is remarkable that a British Passport will not suffice. The Federal Government accepts it to establish identity when visitors arrive in Canada, the Provincial Government accepts it to establish identity when issuing Provincial Government's photo IDs.

It doesn't appear to have to establish residence in any part of Canada, otherwise a US passport would not suffice.

Quite frankly, understanding why an invigilator will not accept it is beyond my limited intelligence.

Frankly, it is nonsense and, IMVHO, unreasonable. Blaming the OP for the BC Government's inability to process his ID immediately is somewhat disengenious. I know they are the rules and I know that the OP is bound by them. You have succumbed to the bullshit bureaucracy that is administration in Canada.