GB news

Old Jun 18th 2021, 10:02 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB news

Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This simply isn't true. The Republicans and Conservatives have jumped into batshittery such that figures formerly considered hard right, such as Bush and Thatcher, now look like moderates, but no one else has moved. Kier Starmer isn't wildly left of Harold Wilson and Biden is just a whiter shade of Obama. The idea that the liberals of today are somehow extreme leftists is, itself, right wing propaganda.

My personal fave, AOC, espouses policies that would have made her a wet Tory in the Major era.
In your opinion......... other's may believe differently.. each to their own! Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
In your opinion......... other's may believe differently..
People can believe anything they choose but that doesn't make it fact. Can you demonstrate that the major liberal parties of today, the Democrats and the Labour party, take positions now that are substantially to the left of those taken by those parties in the past? One can easily demonstrate that the overt racism and suppression of women's rights espoused by the Republicans, and to a lesser extent, the Conservatives, of today are policies more regressive than those parties held twenty years ago. Arguably, someone like Paul Gosar is further to the right than any previous Republican.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 7:53 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
People can believe anything they choose but that doesn't make it fact. Can you demonstrate that the major liberal parties of today, the Democrats and the Labour party, take positions now that are substantially to the left of those taken by those parties in the past? One can easily demonstrate that the overt racism and suppression of women's rights espoused by the Republicans, and to a lesser extent, the Conservatives, of today are policies more regressive than those parties held twenty years ago. Arguably, someone like Paul Gosar is further to the right than any previous Republican.
Indeed. Thatcher had 4 Home Secretaries - William Whitelaw, Leon Brittan, Douglas Hurd and David Waddington. I'll wager that none of them would have advocated for leaving asylum seekers to drown in the English Channel or criticised England football players for protesting against racism. Sometimes I don't think people truly understand how far right the UK has lurched... all thanks to the media. The LAST thing the UK needs is a dedicated batshit TV channel. Oh how we all laugh(ed) at the crazy shit America does but then we allow it to start here!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I get nearly all of my news from The Viz. It's old school I grant you but still the most objective and comprehensively researched.
Thought you might be a Beaverton guy?

Have GB “News” given that complete tosser Piers Morgan a platform? That would be ample for me never to take a look.

A channel purpose built for disenfranchised crazies. Just what the world needs.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Over the last few years, I think the western world has gone crazy...the left and the right never seemed to be this way, but now many people get very personal and feel insulted if you have the opposite political view to them, why? this is a new thing, unheard of a few years ago, I can't keep up with the slang terms and names coming from both sides these days....its descended into a comedy show.

We don't get straight forward unbiased news reporting anymore from the media, we get left or right wing opinions, depending on what we watch/read, and this is the problem. I don't want opinions foisted upon me from media outlets, I just want the unbiased facts that remain in the context that they came from, not "selective reporting" laced with their opinion

So like you say its a case of having to watch/read both left and right wing news sources in order to establish your own opinion on world affairs and events, the main stream media now is a joke.
The Russians.

Produce memes for the far right and put them on Facebook to sow division and hate and then they go viral.

The infiltration goes deeper to the point they even have posters on the Guardian.

The plan has been well executed and we now live in a split society of hate and name calling.

Genius.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The Russians.

Produce memes for the far right and put them on Facebook to sow division and hate and then they go viral.

The infiltration goes deeper to the point they even have posters on the Guardian.

The plan has been well executed and we now live in a split society of hate and name calling.

Genius.
The Guardian boards always had a population of far right nutters, AmericaWoman , Avaroo, JerseyGirl (not the one of this parish), Evilinfo, Azor (named after Franco's yacht, already). There was a thread that run for years from about 2010 in which they argued the case for slavery. The ones I met in person didn't seem to be Russians. It may be that there are Russians posing as something else but the Graun has always attracted diverse opinions.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Thatcher was pro-EU. Cameron was just a posh wet who was scared/bullied into pandering to the extreme right just to avoid party conflict.But he allowed the extreme right to gain traction, and here we are... now in a situation where the previously batshit crazy are now mainstream. With their own TV channel where they can wail about how awful the normals are and calling anyone to the left of them Marxists.

The BBC *might* be a tad liberal, many would argue otherwise, but apart from the BBC, let's have a look at the UK national media and decide where the balance really lies:

Left/Liberal
Channel 4
The Guardian
The Observer
The Mirror
The Independent

Right/Conservative
The Times
The Sunday Times
The Telegraph
The Sunday Telegraph
The Daily Mail
The Sunday Mail
The Sun
The Sun on Sunday
The Express
The Sunday Express
ITV
GB News

That's just off the top of my head while I'm typing. Circulation/viewing wise, I'd estimate that the right have comfortably 75-85% of the total. That hardly warrants the position of being the "unheard forgotten voices" that GB News is portraying, is it? On the one hand they're claiming that a platform like GB News is necessary because they don't have a voice in the media, but on the other hand... Brexit!
Early signs are that GB News it's going to be sticking around, there does seem to be a lot of pent up demand, I personally think it needs plenty of work on the sets and technical sides but editorially I have no major issues with it so far. I don't think the media in general it's as black and white as just left or right anymore, for example the last time I read copy of the Times I honestly thought I had picked up the Guardian by mistake and which side would you place RT on ? Also a lot of people get all their news on social media these days which if I had to categorise it I would say seems left leaning.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Catnip for middle class pensioners according to the Express.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...C-news-itv-evg

Last edited by philat98; Jun 19th 2021 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Catnip for middle class pensioners according to the Express.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...C-news-itv-evg
LOL, I'm far too young to know but probably not far off the mark!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 6:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
news on social media these days which if I had to categorise it I would say seems left leaning.
What you get sent is a reflection of what you consume. Some people's feeds are going to be very right.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What you get sent is a reflection of what you consume. Some people's feeds are going to be very right.
Hmm, this exchange on my facebook feed cracked me up:

"I've watched it all week !! Brilliant!!" union jack emoji, root vegetable emoji.

"at last balanced views!"

"absolutely. Farrage on at the moment!!"

I do not consider myself to be "very right".