Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

gay couple separation

gay couple separation

Old Sep 11th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default gay couple separation

We came here together under the UK Civil Partnership 3 years ago.

Now we want to separate. Is there a simple and cheap way to handle it? We have agreed on all matters by ourselves. We have paid a lawyer for the initial consultation ($50 + tax) and were quoted $1500 for a separation agreement drafted, $600 for each of us to go through each cause by two different laywers and $150 for a quit claim. That is already a 25% discount. Is it a reasonable charge?

I don't understand that we have already agreed everything, why can't it just simply be a standard form to fill in and signed and notarized.

I found this online form which would cost $249. It is claimed valid and would send it to the court. I am not sure if it is the complicated way to do.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 6:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gay couple separation

Originally Posted by davidsk

Now we want to separate. Is there a simple and cheap way to handle it? We have agreed on all matters by ourselves. We have paid a lawyer for the initial consultation ($50 + tax) and were quoted $1500 for a separation agreement drafted, $600 for each of us to go through each cause by two different laywers and $150 for a quit claim. That is already a 25% discount. Is it a reasonable charge?

I don't understand that we have already agreed everything, why can't it just simply be a standard form to fill in and signed and notarized.

I found this online form which would cost $249. It is claimed valid and would send it to the court. I am not sure if it is the complicated way to do.

You are paying to ensure any agreement is watertight should the other party change their mind after the fact... One size fits all forms might work for a very simple agreement, but its probably worth paying a bit more now to avoid the potential to pay a lot more later on.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

If we put down all the clauses and sign and notarized by a lawyer, wouldn't it be enough?
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Which Province are you in and what is it you are trying to achieve? As you are not married, I fail to see why you would need to involve the Court as you are not looking for a divorce.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Which Province are you in and what is it you are trying to achieve? As you are not married, I fail to see why you would need to involve the Court as you are not looking for a divorce.
Knowing which province would help. (NS?)

DIY dissolution of a civil union, with no children involved, both parties in agreement, could be fairly straightforward, & does not necessarily require a lawyer.

S
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, NS. That is what I thought. It is just straightforward. We have agreed on everything. So it should be just simple to get a separation agreement and sign it. Does it need to be witnessed by a lawyer?
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Knowing which province would help. (NS?)

DIY dissolution of a civil union, with no children involved, both parties in agreement, could be fairly straightforward, & does not necessarily require a lawyer.

S
It is identical to non married hetero couples splitting up, unless the particular Province has legislation providing that "property" of non married couples is to be divided along the same lines as married couples. Not all Provinces do.

In Alberta, unless there were issues regarding children, interdependent partner support issues and/or complicated trust issues regarding property, I would simply advise them to go their separate ways.

No need to use a lawyer.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, NS. That is what I thought. It is just straightforward. We have agreed on everything. So it should be just simple to get a separation agreement and sign it. Does it need to be witnessed by a lawyer?
I know absolutely nothing about NS law, & google ain't helping.

However, from what I understand, you could/should go to the courthouse, tell them the situation, & ask how to have your agreement officially recognised.

N.B. In my province, a notarised agreement re civil union/civil union dissolution has legal weight, but needs to be ratified by a judge (in court) to be finalised. One can do this without a lawyer, but case/documents have to be presented in a certain format.

S

Last edited by Shirtback; Sep 11th 2014 at 8:57 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It is identical to non married hetero couples splitting up (...)
Err, not too sure about that ... but willing to be corrected.

Civil unions/partnerships/same-sex marriages are now legally recognised in many jurisdictions. The dissolution thereof too.

S
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Curiosity... what if one wanted to enter into a new civil partnership, would the old one have to be formally ended somehow, or is it just a case of going your separate ways and signing a new CP with the new partner?
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Curiosity... what if one wanted to enter into a new civil partnership, would the old one have to be formally ended,
Yes.

S

Last edited by Shirtback; Sep 11th 2014 at 9:56 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

In BC, live 2 years in sin, and you're in. Same rights as a married couple under BC legislation (sexual orientation is irrelevant).

My read of the OP's facts was that they have a civil union in The UK. Q: Do they have this recognised by the province of NS? If not, I believe AC is relating their situation to the legal status of all other non-married couples (province dependent of course).
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_partnership_in_Nova_Scotia
Old Sep 12th 2014, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

I just called the office of Vital Statistics. We just need to file proof (a photocopy of the Separation Agreement) to the office to formalize it.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

I talked to 4 family lawyers. Two of them know the equivalent relationship in Canada. It is equivalent to Common-law Civil Union.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.