Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gay Christian Foster Mentalism

Gay Christian Foster Mentalism

Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gay Christian Foster Mentalism

I'm a bit late coming to this story about the would-be foster parents who were refused the opportunity to foster because of their alleged views.

I was quite taken aback at this... especially the comments from the Judges, Lord Justice Munby and Mr. Justice Beatson that laws protecting people against discrimination over sexual orientation should "take precedence" over those protecting against discrimination over religious beliefs.

Two things here - the first is what seems to me to be apparent State 'thought-censorship', and the second is apparent State ranking of different types of discrimination.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay Christian Foster Mentalism

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm a bit late coming to this story about the would-be foster parents who were refused the opportunity to foster because of their alleged views.

I was quite taken aback at this... especially the comments from the Judges, Lord Justice Munby and Mr. Justice Beatson that laws protecting people against discrimination over sexual orientation should "take precedence" over those protecting against discrimination over religious beliefs.

Two things here - the first is what seems to me to be apparent State 'thought-censorship', and the second is apparent State ranking of different types of discrimination.
Sits back and waits for the opposing sides to vent on this one.

Jings, your link wouldn't work for me
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the social work industry has a preference for going for soft targets rather than the more difficult task of protecting children truly under threat.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

The question should have been "what would you do if your foster child was homosexual?".
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The question should have been "what would you do if your foster child was homosexual?".
Why has it even arisen as a question?

There is a 95% (?) "chance" that any foster child will not be homosexual, therefore the question of how they'd deal with it is, at best, a minor issue. Not one that a decision on their overall suitablity as foster parents ought to be founded on.

Any child, I suggest, is better in a stable home - almost regardless of beliefs - than left to stagnate in council care, with all the attendant risks of abuse and neglect therein.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Religious parents will brain wash their kids into believing nonsense. Therefore children are better off in a home than with these mentally ill weirdos.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Why has it even arisen as a question?

There is a 95% (?) "chance" that any foster child will not be homosexual, therefore the question of how they'd deal with it is, at best, a minor issue. Not one that a decision on their overall suitablity as foster parents ought to be founded on.

Any child, I suggest, is better in a stable home - almost regardless of beliefs - than left to stagnate in council care, with all the attendant risks of abuse and neglect therein.
Oh I agree but it could serve as an example of how foster parents might deal with differing situations. Children generally challenge their parents opinions and views and the views aren't important but how the would deal with other opinions is.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

To the extent that this decision represents a move away from the idea that religion can excuse conduct I think it's to be welcomed. However, I think the council has likely discriminated against these people unreasonably and shot itself in the foot by so doing. Foster parents are not, I imagine, in great supply and the motivations of all candidates are likely to be questionable. These people's religion, any religion, should be a mark against them but it doesn't follow that because they're afflicted with religion children placed in their care will catch it. They're not Gary Glitter and, if this is their only failing I can't see why they shouldn't be foster parents.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Religious parents will brain wash their kids into believing nonsense. Therefore children are better off in a home than with these mentally ill weirdos.
Bingo!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
To the extent that this decision represents a move away from the idea that religion can excuse conduct I think it's to be welcomed. However, I think the council has likely discriminated against these people unreasonably and shot itself in the foot by so doing. Foster parents are not, I imagine, in great supply and the motivations of all candidates are likely to be questionable. These people's religion, any religion, should be a mark against them but it doesn't follow that because they're afflicted with religion children placed in their care will catch it. They're not Gary Glitter and, if this is their only failing I can't see why they shouldn't be foster parents.
Of course it's catching. The majority of religious people get it from their crazy mum and dad.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Of course it's catching. The majority of religious people get it from their crazy mum and dad.
Foster children are are not as genetically predisposed to being soft in the head like their foster parents though.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If the article mentioned how long they'd be keeping each child I missed it. If it's a revolving door, a couple of years per child, I imagine few of the children would be infected. If the idea is to give them a young child for the long term then that's more of a concern but, again, I don't imagine there are so many potential foster parents that candidates should be discarded for eccentricity.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:48 pm

Foster children are are not as genetically predisposed to being soft in the head like their foster parents though.
True; and I suppose the exposure is less cos they are foster kids.

Still I had to pick a side of the fence to be reactionary about - and I've made my choice. Down with mentalists!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore children are better off in a home than with these mentally ill weirdos.
Said, I suspect, by someone with no experience of what it is like to live in such a place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.