Gaming consoles

Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaming consoles

There's little to choose between the PS3 & XBOX 360 but I prefer the PS3.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

david-hughes is an unknown quantity at this point

I still play the PS2 and N64 occasionally purely for nostalgia!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

PS3 is whisper quiet when compared to the xbox. I have PS3 and Wii - daughter generally uses the wii but has now started using PS3 for Modern Warfare games ( she is 13 ).

I had an xbox360 in the uk which died just before coming here. For blu ray's, the PS3 is considered a standard to compare stand alone players with.

Personally, I would go for PS3 or wii, depending upon your gaming preference. For me, it's PS3.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

my son has an xbox 360 and i recently purchased a Ps3 for me...they are both equally good for playing games..i think Xbox 360 has better online gaming with Xbox live as against the Ps3 network but then the Ps3 is free to play online the Xbox you have to pay a subscription.,,Xbox is also notorious for damaging and scratching games where as the Ps3 is more stable and is quieter, the xbox does make a loud werring noise.

If i didnt have a game console and someone bought me one for xmas i would be equally happy with both.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, when are the next generation of consoles meant to come out?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:40 pm
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

We had both before we came out here and my partner has just gone out and bought an Xbox 360 in the last week. (Sigh...looks like I'll be a COD widow this Christmas)

I enjoyed the PS3 a lot more, quieter, blu-ray player etc. As OH freely admits, xbox 360s can be temperamental and need to be babied! (ie buy a fan to stop it overheating etc) and we were constantly dealing with the infamous "red light of death" scenario on the Xbox. People also seem to really love the Kinect for Xbox but I just didn't see that....it always seemed quite slow to me and it doesn't seem to recognize voice commands if you have a Yorkshire accent. Lol.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:49 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

DD got a Wii two years ago, it hasn't been used for about 22 months...Wish we'd got her the cheaper Playstation thingy.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr
I wouldn't bother using google to make your decision.

You'll find site after site full of fanboys and fangirls throwing mud at the alternatives.

PS3 and XBox 360 are about the same. As a poster above said, go with a PS3 if you want blu-ray, BUT if it's anything like the Xbox which I have (it can play DVDs) it may not be good for watching films as it may be a very noisy player (Alan 2005 - can you comment?).

Wii is more of a family console, although with Microsoft Kinect for the 360, the XBox is trying to move into that domain. I played a dancing game as a group and it was quite fun (made an @rse of myself of course ).
My PS3 is quite loud, but I think this is because I have one of the very early ones. Newer models, of both the 360 and ps3, don't suffer from this quite so much apparently.

Originally Posted by Oink
Out of curiosity, when are the next generation of consoles meant to come out?
Wii-U is coming out next year.

Neither Microsoft or Sony have released details of a new console. I doubt we'll see anything before 2013 even though this has been the longest console generation I can remember and we are about due.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 29th 2011 at 3:08 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Handy tip... whatever you choose, get it at Costco (mods, I'm not advertising and have nothing to do with the store!!).

We bought a PS3 last Christmas, and last week the disc drive suddenly gave up the ghost. A bit of research showed this is more common than you'd like. Most were having to send the machine off to Sony for a repair which took about 4 weeks, not to mention the hassle.

We thought we'd try taking it back to Costco first and they exchanged it with no trouble whatsoever!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Wii and a couple of Xbox360s. The Wii can be quite fun but it is really for the younger age group and non gamers.

The first 360 had to be returned to sort out the "ring of death" but has been ok since then. It used to be quite noisy but I took it apart because I could see dust through the vents - there was a lot of dust collected in the inside and after removing this it was much quieter. The new 360 is fairly quiet.

I get the impression that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are pretty similar but once you've started with one brand most tend to stick with subsequent upgrades. We started with the original Xbox - at the time I think it was better than the equivalent Sony product and Halo was the best game around at the time and not available on the PS. They are both pretty cheap these days.

The online gaming with the Xbox360 is meant to be better than the PS3. Netflix works on the 360. 360 plays ordinary DVDs but not blue ray.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Which works best for Netflix - PS3 or Xbox? Not bothered about Bluray but am interested in cheap(ish) access to netflix.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:45 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

we have a couple of xbox 360's and are all into the cod's and mw3 which is why we switched from ps in the first place, heard the xbox was better online .... not noisy either thanks to giving them a regular hoovering, we do use the netflix through them and is good, no problems but dont have a ps3 so cant comment on which one better, also we download lots of stuff so can watch through the xbox on a stick which i dont believe you can on a ps3, also theres the issue of the ps3 being hacked a while ago which i know brought our freinds to a complete standstill for a fair few weeks, not had that issue with xbox, but then if your not going online with it nothing to worry about, i don't like to play dvd's through them as i heard can bugger them up - dont know how true that is though,

just outta curiosity saw skyrim mentioned ... is it multi regional? anyone take a look if they got a copy - the xboxes we have here are from the uk, an black ops an mw3 are ok as is dragonage ... jus wondering as youngest is desperate for that for xmas an if i have to buy another xbox looks like could be more pricey than i wanted!!! cheers
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005

Neither Microsoft or Sony have released details of a new console. I doubt we'll see anything before 2013 even though this has been the longest console generation I can remember and we are about due.
I'd heard 2013 for the next xbox, but no mention of when in 2013.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How about one of these
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
we download lots of stuff so can watch through the xbox on a stick which i dont believe you can on a ps3
Yes you can do the same on PS3

like to play dvd's through them as i heard can bugger them up
Not true

just outta curiosity saw skyrim mentioned ... is it multi regional?
All PS3 games are multi-regional. I thought the xbox would be also. Is that not the case?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.