Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Future of Top Gear

The Future of Top Gear

Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Future of Top Gear

The police are now interested in Clarkson regarding the assault.

Jeremy Clarkson faces assault charge after being sacked by BBC - as it happened, March 25, 2015 - Telegraph
Old Mar 26th 2015, 1:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Clarkson owned 50% of it up until 2-3 years ago when he sold his share!
THere's quite a long and involved thread on this in the Trailer Park ("Let's talk about cars.")

I don't know whether Clarkson was astute enough to have played the long game when he sold his stake in the production company two years ago. But one of the comments on the other thread was along the lines of (a) he gets a bit bored with the format and wants to do something else, but knows he's sitting on a BBC cash cow, (b) he sells out at the peak of the show's value, netting himself a small fortune, (c) he exhibits increasingly unacceptable behaviour on set and around the show, leading inevitably to a failure to renew contracts, (d) he goes and sets up shop elsewhere, with the nature of his dismissal from the BBC negating any non-compete nonsense, and with a whole heap of cash to inject into a new production company for whatever NewTopGear becomes.

That would be ultimately Machiavellian in its cynicism, but almost plausible given Clarkson's reputation.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 1:28 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
My thought on the situation is that Clarkson had some food that wasn't to his liking in some respect. He, in his usual pillock like way mentioned this to the producer chap. The producer quipped back, likely in the same form as Clarkson had made his comment. This then escalated to a heated argument. I would not be too shocked to find out that one / both of them made a comment along the lines of "go on, MAKE me", and Clarkson was the one to let the fists fly.

Yes, it was extremely stupid of him to do so. It was only ever going to cause trouble.

The BBC couldn't let a physical assault go, so they had to do something. Not renewing his contract is the old boys way of firing someone, so that's what they did.

I think TG on the BBC is dead. May and Hammond, and XXXX won't be the same as with Clarkson being there. It's the three of them or nothing.

If it is to continue, who to present. Much as I'm no fan of Mr Evans, he DOES know about cars, and that counts for something. I think Coogan does, am sure he's a car nut. Rowan Atkinson would also be quite good, deffo a car nut, but not sure he'd fit the role.

Rumours are that Netflix is interest, so I could see a TG like show there, but it won't be the same, likely just their escapades, without the news and other audience bits. That was part of the fun, I've got quite a few friends who went to the filming and it was meant to be rather enjoyable - obviously loads of things going on that never get shown on the TV.
I agree - Netflix would be a natural home for the "antics" bits but at least a part of the appeal of the show was the newsiness of the studio sections. There is an immediacy of the format, with live studio audience and "the week's news" - plus the chat-show section of the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car. Not sure that would translate adequately to Netflix without significant format changes.

As to presenters for what the BBC will inevitably try to resurrect, I heard Johnny Vaughan's name bandied around a bit. I'd prefer him to Chris Evans: he's another proper car nut, has had a wide assortment of presenting and journalism jobs (including a chat show), and certainly has the bad-boy credentials (ex-con, no less) to add a little spice to the show. He'd need a straight-man foil - Chris Harris, perhaps? His online video pieces are pretty watchable, and he has the same kind of schoolboy enthusiasm for fine engineering as James May (his piece on
is lovely). Who'd be the third? I would vote for VBH to offset the testosterone a bit, but there are plenty of other options.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
Itv, channel and sky want to snap them up. My money is all 3 sign with Sky tv for a new show. What makes me wonder is if bbc own the creative rights to Top Gear.

Well I think if the three of them signed up to Sky for a brand new show, im sure they could come up with a brand new format based on a similar theme, but different if you know what i mean.

Base it on all things cars and motorsport and related blokey banter and take it from there, i dont think it would be difficult for those three and a decent writer/producer to come up with something that embraces all that but a different show. Its the three hosts that made the show after all. There must be a limit as to how far the BBC could control the development of a new show.

As for the existing Top Gear it may limp along for another season, but its basically finished now with the team gone.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 26th 2015 at 4:32 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
THere's quite a long and involved thread on this in the Trailer Park ("Let's talk about cars.")

I don't know whether Clarkson was astute enough to have played the long game when he sold his stake in the production company two years ago. But one of the comments on the other thread was along the lines of (a) he gets a bit bored with the format and wants to do something else, but knows he's sitting on a BBC cash cow, (b) he sells out at the peak of the show's value, netting himself a small fortune, (c) he exhibits increasingly unacceptable behaviour on set and around the show, leading inevitably to a failure to renew contracts, (d) he goes and sets up shop elsewhere, with the nature of his dismissal from the BBC negating any non-compete nonsense, and with a whole heap of cash to inject into a new production company for whatever NewTopGear becomes.

That would be ultimately Machiavellian in its cynicism, but almost plausible given Clarkson's reputation.
You know I think that scenario may well have some credibility....sounds very buisness like and plausible to me, thats how big money is made!
Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The show was a bit tired and needed a new format. Hopefully the network they end up at will inject that.
Yeah I agree, personally I think Clarkson was hacked off with the whole thing and that's why he lost his temper so badly. They've just run out of ideas for the show.

I don't agree that the show can't survive without them either, people keep saying the American and other versions of the show aren't as good, but that's because of the budget, not the presenters. Some of the episodes of the American show have been really good I think, like the one they did in Alaska and the one in Iceland, (and the one with the race against the Aston Martin and the powerboat) but then it's back to cheap cringe-making nonsense. They seem to blow 90% of the budget on one episode.

I can't see if Clarkson et al go to another network they would get the same budget the BBC had. Just isn't going to happen.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:55 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends. I think Netflix, while not having the same budget as the BBC, does have a fair bit, and they'd likely love to have NewTopGear as an exclusive.