Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Future plans of Britian?

Future plans of Britian?

Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:21 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Future plans of Britian?

Hi Folks,

Are any of you contemplating the move back during the recession due to house prices?

If so what price are you waiting to come before you move?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future plans of Britian?

Do you mean moving back to the UK purely because of lowering house prices ?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by livermanl
Hi Folks,

Are any of you contemplating the move back during the recession due to house prices?

If so what price are you waiting to come before you move?
I know a few canadians who are looking to invest in UK realestate at the moment - they see a better return there than in canada!

I was browsing rightmove the other day (still have a place in the UK) and I must say there seems to be a few apparent bargains to be had in some places
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:36 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Do you mean moving back to the UK purely because of lowering house prices ?
Exactly.

I'm sure there are people like me who purely moved due to not being able to get on the housing ladder.

So I just thought are those same people who moved for that reason now looking to return? or did Canada win them over?

Thought it would be an interesting study.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Exactly.

I'm sure there are people like me who purely moved due to not being able to get on the housing ladder.

So I just thought are those same people who moved for that reason now looking to return? or did Canada win them over?

Thought it would be an interesting study.
Yikes I didnt think folks moved just to get on the housing ladder!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
It sounds like a rather extreme plan.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:57 pm
Banned

Put yourself in the position of under 30 year olds.

I was an electrical engineer and couldn't get a mortgage unless I moved to an area where I couldn't commute from.

That and the wife was canadian.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Put yourself in the position of under 30 year olds.

I was an electrical engineer and couldn't get a mortgage unless I moved to an area where I couldn't commute from.

That and the wife was canadian.
Fair doo's although on the face of it is does seem an expensive way to get on the ladder (that and the fact that the ladder here is nore of a box to stand on!), s'pose it depends when you came over and where you were in the UK

btw is the wife still canadian?? or has she been cured
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:13 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:14 pm
Banned

Fair doo's although on the face of it is does seem an expensive way to get on the ladder (that and the fact that the ladder here is nore of a box to stand on!), s'pose it depends when you came over and where you were in the UK

Well the move in my case was considored a 'permanent move' as I could afford to live here. But with the recession going on my view is changing. If the average cost of a house in Brighton dropped to 150,000 I would then seriously have to considor moving back.

I came over in 2006 when I think the average cost of a house through the country was 190,000 using the 3.5 rule I would have needed to make 55,000/year which was possible had i became a senoir engineer.

My view was to make use of the wife being canadain (I will rectify this next year as she will be able to apply to be British ) and live without the need to worry of 'what if we have kids', 'how could we afford it' and all the other questions that come with it.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:22 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

If the average cost of a house in Brighton dropped to 150,000 I would then seriously have to considor moving back.
Even with the recession that's gonna be one small house ! i would think you would be very lucky indeed to get a decent house in Brighton for that price
Personally i might invest in the UK but i dont think i ever want to move back over !
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Even with the recession that's gonna be one small house ! i would think you would be very lucky indeed to get a decent house in Brighton for that price
Personally i might invest in the UK but i dont think i ever want to move back over !
Not so, 3 months ago a nice home in a nice area sold for 175,000.

If the trend continues throughout 2009 it could happen, if it doesn't there are plenty of surrounding areas such as portslade, shoreham, hove, newhaven, lewes (you get the idea) which are slightly cheaper but still on the commuter path .
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well the move in my case was considored a 'permanent move' as I could afford to live here. But with the recession going on my view is changing. If the average cost of a house in Brighton dropped to 150,000 I would then seriously have to considor moving back.

I came over in 2006 when I think the average cost of a house through the country was 190,000 using the 3.5 rule I would have needed to make 55,000/year which was possible had i became a senoir engineer.

My view was to make use of the wife being canadain (I will rectify this next year as she will be able to apply to be British ) and live without the need to worry of 'what if we have kids', 'how could we afford it' and all the other questions that come with it.
Ah ha! sounds like you came over at a reasonable time - exchange rate wise and I suppose with growth in equity here and shift in the exchange rate you would have more buying power in the UK now. I read last week that the UK average house price is 160k or so - probably higher in sussex than say oop north.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:44 pm
Banned

Ah ha! sounds like you came over at a reasonable time - exchange rate wise and I suppose with growth in equity here and shift in the exchange rate you would have more buying power in the UK now. I read last week that the UK average house price is 160k or so - probably higher in sussex than say oop north.
For me timing wise it has been near perfect a little earlier would have been a bit nicer as there was a big price jump on homes here when we eventually bought. But I can't complain.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

For me timing wise it has been near perfect a little earlier would have been a bit nicer as there was a big price jump on homes here when we eventually bought. But I can't complain.
Bah! still crying in my beer when I look at the exchange rate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.