Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Full circle, or something like that - coincidences ....

Full circle, or something like that - coincidences ....

Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Full circle, or something like that - coincidences ....

In 1993, my husband and I came to visit Canada and did the tourist route around BC and Alberta. We were given details (by a colleague from work) of a lovely 'mature' couple who lived in the big country and were told that if we ever made it as far as Vancouver Island, to look them up and say hello.

Well, we did get that far, and we did say hello - and in fact they invited us to stay with them for a few days. They were originally from Clapham in London and had moved to Saskatoon in the 50's and moved on to the Island in the late 1980's.

We visited them again in 1995 and had kept in regular contact with them. We celebrated with them on their 60th wedding anniversary in Hampshire in 2006. They urged us on and rallied round with lots of support all through our immigration journey. And I feel happy to call them very good friends.

Recently had an email from the lady - they are now in their 80's - and are looking to 'emigrate' back to the UK. Funniest thing was that they were looking to buy a place in our old village - in the same road we used to live in, in Surrey! So - about 25 doors down from the house we just sold last year! What a small world sometimes.

Kinda makes me sad in one way that they didn't live 'down the road' from us while we were still in Surrey - but even now we are over in Canada, it's not like we will see a lot of them in Vancouver Island either (although we did all meet up last summer in Penticton for a couple of days).

Just thought this was one of those strange happy/sad stories - peoples lives and locations intertwined, geography frequently getting in the way - and a typical tale of an immigrant really .... and I wonder if we had not met them in the first instance back in 1993, the fire in our belly to emigrate may never have been lit. Who knows? Fate and stuff
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:53 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Full circle, or something like that - coincidences ....

Hi Ann,
Lovely story, stange things happen in this weird way, who you meet, and how the smallest of things can have an influence, the world moves in mysterious ways!
Charlie
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:53 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Spoooooky!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hi Anne
Just wondering...When you were in Penticton last year did you by any chance head out to Naramata? If not then next time it is worth a visit....We think of it as the village that the Okanagan forgot!!!
Where were you in Surrey? We used to live in Bagshot and then briefly in Camberly...
L
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:09 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Spoooooky!!
i love your countdown!
Can i make one too?

Karen
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepee
Where were you in Surrey? We used to live in Bagshot and then briefly in Camberly...
L
Hi leepee - not sure if we went to Naramata - doesn't sound familiar. Did stop off and dunk ourselves in the lake at Summerland though.

Most recently from Dorking area - but used to work in Camberley for 6 years and lived in Frimley Green for 7 years - so very familiar with old Surrey Heath!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:37 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
i love your countdown!
Can i make one too?

Karen
Tickerfactory.com - you can access it directly from 4Bells countdown ... just click on it!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m
They were originally from Clapham in London and had moved to Saskatoon in the 50's and moved on to the Island in the late 1980's.

Recently had an email from the lady - they are now in their 80's - and are looking to 'emigrate' back to the UK.
I would be interested to know how this couple (who have been away from the UK for 50+ years) will settle in the UK after being in Canada for so long. My parents (in their 70's haven't lived there for + 25 years) couldn't be paid enough to retire back in the UK...they couldn't afford it but that isn't the only reason.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leepee
Hi Anne
Just wondering...When you were in Penticton last year did you by any chance head out to Naramata? If not then next time it is worth a visit....We think of it as the village that the Okanagan forgot!!!
L
Hi
We stopped of in Naramata this time last year they were upgrading the road up there at the time its a beautful place and we went to see a subdivision they were just selling lots at the time in the most wonderful setting ive ever seen unfortunatly with a price tag to match but could well understand why they were priced the way they were
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For whatever reasons, I don't think finances are a major issue. They still travel a lot internationally and have all their marbles - and have always made regular extended trips to the UK. I do not believe they have a pair of rose-tinted's on

To be blunt, I think the man does not wish to die in Canada. He's 82 now I think, and is finally realising that he is slowing down a bit and has for several years harboured yearnings to return to his homeland. Some inherent feeling that I cannot, nor will not argue with. They still have family and friends in the area and a support network, that in fact they do not have on the Island.

They just feel this would be a good and correct next chapter of their retirement, even if it is the last one ....
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:27 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever reasons, I don't think finances are a major issue. They still travel a lot internationally and have all their marbles - and have always made regular extended trips to the UK. I do not believe they have a pair of rose-tinted's on

To be blunt, I think the man does not wish to die in Canada. He's 82 now I think, and is finally realising that he is slowing down a bit and has for several years harboured yearnings to return to his homeland. Some inherent feeling that I cannot, nor will not argue with. They still have family and friends in the area and a support network, that in fact they do not have on the Island.

They just feel this would be a good and correct next chapter of their retirement, even if it is the last one ....
I have heard afew stories of people living here for years and for no apparent reason getting this urge to return, to what they still call home. Who knows but maybe some of us just have a stronger homing instinct then others and when that time comes ...they just go with the flow and after my own experiences, i personally think the ones among us that can go with the flow are the lucky ones.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:25 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

My aunt lived all over the world and then came home for her last year !
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:21 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Hi leepee - not sure if we went to Naramata - doesn't sound familiar. Did stop off and dunk ourselves in the lake at Summerland though.

Most recently from Dorking area - but used to work in Camberley for 6 years and lived in Frimley Green for 7 years - so very familiar with old Surrey Heath!
We lived in Horsell (on the edge of Woking) Jules worked in Camberly for a while.