Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Frustrated (job hunting)

Frustrated (job hunting)

Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Frustrated (job hunting)

As some of you may know, I came to Montreal as my partner secured a new job and as a result I got an open work permit...

Back home I was a qualified paediatric nurse and I also hold a higher National certificate in social care... given my experience and lack of French skills I have focused on trying to get nannying or home care poisitions with English speaking families. This is proving harder than I thought. I had a "trial job" awaiting references however the gentlemen who required home care wanted a secretary/marketing individual rather than a carer... He also tried dodging US import tax after a "breif" trip over the border to "pick up mail" causing me to be stuck there for an anxiety provoking 4 hours with him. Needless to say that didn't really work out.

Since this I have applied for a couple of things but nothing has panned out. I am currently volunteering which is enjoyable and stops me going totally insane however I am slowly getting fed up of not having some sort of income for myself.

I know the answer seems simple - Learn French. Partner's work is meant to provide money towards lessons however my darling other half keeps "forgetting" to ask about it We really can't afford to pay for them out of our own pocket at this point either. We have been here two months, in our own place for a month and have only just got enough money for a stove!! I don't think we can wait out until I "pick it up" volunteering. That's if I ever do... right now it seems an impossible task.

I am just so frustrated and wondering at this point, why we even bothered with this move.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frustrated (job hunting)

Montreal is tough right now, and without fluent French Im afraid most ppeople dont survive here unless you do something specific and land a Hi-tech job in one of the multinationals or something like that.

Have you tried the hospitals affililated with McGill? If I were you I would volunteer there...and see if this could lead to an opportunity.

One does need french here Im afraid

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
As some of you may know, I came to Montreal as my partner secured a new job and as a result I got an open work permit...

Back home I was a qualified paediatric nurse and I also hold a higher National certificate in social care... given my experience and lack of French skills I have focused on trying to get nannying or home care poisitions with English speaking families. This is proving harder than I thought. I had a "trial job" awaiting references however the gentlemen who required home care wanted a secretary/marketing individual rather than a carer... He also tried dodging US import tax after a "breif" trip over the border to "pick up mail" causing me to be stuck there for an anxiety provoking 4 hours with him. Needless to say that didn't really work out.

Since this I have applied for a couple of things but nothing has panned out. I am currently volunteering which is enjoyable and stops me going totally insane however I am slowly getting fed up of not having some sort of income for myself.

I know the answer seems simple - Learn French. Partner's work is meant to provide money towards lessons however my darling other half keeps "forgetting" to ask about it We really can't afford to pay for them out of our own pocket at this point either. We have been here two months, in our own place for a month and have only just got enough money for a stove!! I don't think we can wait out until I "pick it up" volunteering. That's if I ever do... right now it seems an impossible task.

I am just so frustrated and wondering at this point, why we even bothered with this move.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, although many people I know have reported French skills are not needed in certain hospitals, I can't even find out accurate information on registration as a nurse as the website says that "as nurses are required to have a proficiency in French, very little of the website is provided in English" Hence the reason I have been looking at jobs with English speaking families in some way...
Old Sep 28th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not in field but this article might shed some light....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/...ses050105.html

Unfortunately, although many people I know have reported French skills are not needed in certain hospitals, I can't even find out accurate information on registration as a nurse as the website says that "as nurses are required to have a proficiency in French, very little of the website is provided in English" Hence the reason I have been looking at jobs with English speaking families in some way...
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

As usual, politics gets in the way of individuals trying to do their jobs and society no doubt suffers the price (nurse shortages etc.)
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you just want the content of the website translated that's something I, or perhaps other posters, could make happen.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

That may be very useful actually... I basically want to find out how I have my current qualifications assessed and/or what is required for registration exactly. As my current qualification is solely in paeds I am anticipating that I would need to do extra training somehow and if so I need to know how to go about that.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That may be very useful actually... I basically want to find out how I have my current qualifications assessed and/or what is required for registration exactly. As my current qualification is solely in paeds I am anticipating that I would need to do extra training somehow and if so I need to know how to go about that.
I know a francophone nurse rather well. I'll ask her to unscramble it. What's the web address?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know a francophone nurse rather well. I'll ask her to unscramble it. What's the web address?
http://www.oiiq.org/

I have a feeling that even unscrambled this will be a VERY lengthy process... Back to job hunting in the meantime!

Thank you very much dbd33! If she has any other additional info or advice on this process that would be very much appreciated also.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thank you very much dbd33! If she has any other additional info or advice on this process that would be very much appreciated also.

De rien. Request emailed. I can't keep track of her shifts so I don't know when to expect a reply.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

De rien. Request emailed. I can't keep track of her shifts so I don't know when to expect a reply.
It's ok - I am very understanding in that department!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

My informant took a look at the website, from the turnaround we may conclude that this a slow day for trauma in the GTA. Bear in mind that she's fluent in French and, although she took her nursing degree in English, prior to that she worked in a hospital in French Switzerland for the best part of a year. There's a mandatory exam for anyone wanting to nurse in Quebec. It's part oral, part multiple choice questions about a set text and part essay. "Really tough" was her opinion of the exam. Someone not speaking French or not knowing medical terminology in French would have no chance. "Forget it, the pay in conditions for nurses in Quebec suck anyway" was her, pragmatic, if brutal, summation. She did have one good idea though, find a student who speaks French and get him or her to tutor you. That's a cheap way to get started.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I believe this to be an accurate assessment.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tell her thanks for her honesty!

Now... I need a decent plan b!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Tell her thanks for her honesty!
No need, I know where she got her talent for accurate, if tactless, descriptions.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No need, I know where she got her talent for accurate, if tactless, descriptions.
Yes, yes. So do we.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.