Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Frequently answered questions.

Frequently answered questions.

Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:04 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frequently answered questions.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah! I bow to first hand experience.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:22 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

10. Don't mess with dbd33: you won't win.
Rubish!

Answers 1 through 9 I agree with.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:29 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
What do you mean by this? are you suggesting that people only arrive in Canada with a job lined up?
Just curious.
There are lots of people who do arrive without jobs. Of course its possible to look for work once you get here but its a big risk. Unless you are extremely well funded you can go through a lot of money while you spend a few months looking for work. I think the point here is that its really a lot more sensible to try and line something up before you arrive. As well as having an income from day 1 you also get the "support network" of employer and colleagues and at least sort of know someone as soon as you arrive. otherwise you really are on your own. If you don't see the prospect of finding a job before you go then I can't see why finding a job once you arrive would have a much higher chance of success.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:16 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
If you don't see the prospect of finding a job before you go then I can't see why finding a job once you arrive would have a much higher chance of success.
There are many instances in which employers are not prepared to wait for months or years until foreign workers get to Canada but are willing to hire foreigners who already are in Canada and available to start work immediately or at least very soon.

I grant you that, if people arrive without pre-arranged employment, they need money to tide them over the many months it may take them to find work.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
There are many instances in which employers are not prepared to wait for months or years until foreign workers get to Canada but are willing to hire foreigners who already are in Canada and available to start work immediately or at least very soon.

I grant you that, if people arrive without pre-arranged employment, they need money to tide them over the many months it may take them to find work.
My post was (ever so slightly) tongue in cheek. However I do believe that coming over as a PR, especially with a dependent family, after probably a four year plus wait, and only then starting to look for work, borders on irresponsible. Best of luck to the many who go this route, but it's not something I'd do.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:22 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you really only get two weeks holiday in Canada? You get much more than that in the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Do you really only get two weeks holiday in Canada? You get much more than that in the UK.
Good #11 choice.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:33 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My post was (ever so slightly) tongue in cheek. However I do believe that coming over as a PR, especially with a dependent family, after probably a four year plus wait, and only then starting to look for work, borders on irresponsible. Best of luck to the many who go this route, but it's not something I'd do.
I was dropped off at a Greyhound bus station with nothing more than a suitcase 2 weeks ago. I found that the biggest challenge is not having an address or phone number for employers to get back to you on.

So the first thing I did was buy a cell phone, then I bought a car, then a house and now I have 2 interviews lined up for next week. It can be done, I wouldn't call it irresponsible just adventurous.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:19 pm
Born again atheist

I was dropped off at a Greyhound bus station with nothing more than a suitcase 2 weeks ago. I found that the biggest challenge is not having an address or phone number for employers to get back to you on.

So the first thing I did was buy a cell phone, then I bought a car, then a house and now I have 2 interviews lined up for next week. It can be done, I wouldn't call it irresponsible just adventurous.
As I said, best of luck to you. How's the wife and kids?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:47 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

...he sold them to buy all of the above!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:25 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by busterboy
...he sold them to buy all of the above!

Oh great! All we need now is poster from Goa.

How are the teeth, bboy?

On edit: Or are you planning on Canada next?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 13th 2007 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:02 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great! All we need now is poster from Goa.

How are the teeth, bboy?

On edit: Or are you planning on Canada next?

Blueteeth fine...truck fine....if only I could get the marmite of me appliance!

I didn't know this was an elite club...(I'd certainly question the standard of some of the existing members)!

...I have joined you for a visit as I like your style.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:20 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by busterboy
Blueteeth fine...truck fine....if only I could get the marmite of me appliance!

I didn't know this was an elite club...(I'd certainly question the standard of some of the existing members)!

...I have joined you for a visit as I like your style.
Well, welcome. Put up your feet. Light a cigar and relax.

But remember rule #10.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

A bit sad at the moment as tomorrow night is their leaving party back in the UK. I purposely wanted to avoid a leaving do, so I just snuck out the country quietly.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:25 pm
Born again atheist

A bit sad at the moment as tomorrow night is their leaving party back in the UK. I purposely wanted to avoid a leaving do, so I just snuck out the country quietly.
Very sensible. And good luck with the interviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.