British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Free passes Parks Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/free-passes-parks-canada-888437/)

Stinkypup Dec 18th 2016 1:48 am

Re: Free passes Parks Canada

Originally Posted by MegSnow (Post 12131609)
Been 5 times, June, August (x2), May and October over the past 18 months. Went down the Bow Valley Trail where the leaflet says there is an abundance of wildlife, round Lake Louise/Moraine and even went to Kananaskis where I saw cattle (I can see those down 37 Ave SW near where I live). Not a sausage😥 Will go to Calgary Zoo next year to see the bear there😂😂

We get up ridiculously early to see/ photograph wildlife. We have been up and down the Bow Valley Parkway, often never seeing anything but if you are patient. Always the Ospreys at Castle Junction bridge. We saw mum and 3 Cubs on the BVPW just after it opened up - just sat and watched them by the road, close, we were in the car fora good 20 minutes. Grizzly up near Johnson Lake. Always elk, particularly around Banff itself. Some seasons are amazing for bear, high berry crops, others terrible. Moose in Kanaskasis- in the evening. They all generally come out very early in the morning and very late.

We spent a whole trip to Alaska not seeing any bull moose, plenty of cows and calves but no big racked boys. In the end, we were told to go to the municipal park next to the freight airport in Anchorage, sure enough,a massive bull came quietly out of the bushes from nowhere..beautiful sight.

BristolUK Dec 18th 2016 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MegSnow (Post 12131609)
...Not a sausage...

Regarding not seeing or being able to see things.

When I went to Egypt the Sphinx was covered in wooden scaffolding. :(

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 3rd 2017 9:03 pm

Apparently you don't really need the pass, Parks Canada just wants you to get one.

Parks Canada hoping visitors will get a free 2017 pass, even though they don’t need one | Globalnews.ca

beckiwoo Jan 4th 2017 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12141977)
Apparently you don't really need the pass, Parks Canada just wants you to get one.

Parks Canada hoping visitors will get a free 2017 pass, even though they don’t need one | Globalnews.ca

My friend lives in Banff and when I took his car to Sulphur Mountain, I had to display his pass in the car park on the dash otherwise you get a ticket so I don't understand where this whole 'you don't need a Parks Canada Pass to enter the parks' is about

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 4th 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12142185)
My friend lives in Banff and when I took his car to Sulphur Mountain, I had to display his pass in the car park on the dash otherwise you get a ticket so I don't understand where this whole 'you don't need a Parks Canada Pass to enter the parks' is about

I think it's due to the parks being free in 2017.

beckiwoo Jan 4th 2017 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12142194)
I think it's due to the parks being free in 2017.

Oh I see so because they are free this year they are giving free passes.

Why not just be nasty and charge people that don't get the free pass lol!

Piff Poff Jan 4th 2017 8:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MegSnow (Post 12131577)
Not even an elk, only creature I've seen other than tourists is a woodpecker. One solitary woodpecker no other wildlife at all😥 Saw some elks on the way to Costco at Okotoks the other week

I'll share this fella with you, saw him along the Bow Valley last May.

R I C H Jan 4th 2017 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12142675)
Oh I see so because they are free this year they are giving free passes.

Why not just be nasty and charge people that don't get the free pass lol!

You don't actually have to apply for the free pass - turn up at a park and they'll hand one over.