Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Four months of not winter - 2020

The Four months of not winter - 2020

Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Four months of not winter - 2020

Originally Posted by Souvy
Similar situation to us. Where we live is a centre for limestone quarrying (there is one near us). We've been making lots of changes in the back yard. Big rocks come up every time you stick a shovel in the ground (dig down about a foot and you gets lots of free sand - there's lots of that too). Souvette has been using the rocks. Dry stone walls all over the place. One of her creations seems to be missing only the 50-calibre. I thought she'd retired!
We have "hardscaping" all over the place, rocks laid instead of mulch, rocks as decorative features, rows of rocks around the horse barn, rocks, rocks and more rocks.

Wild weather here this week, lightning storm around four this morning close to being overhead, lashing rain, horses kicking up a ruckus. Calm now but 38C with the humidex (29 without) and very damp.

Old Aug 13th 2021, 12:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This summer cannot end soon enough. Another hot day, and 89 inside with the heater on, and a portable air con running.

I did speak to the on site manager, he said in his hard to understand voice, it will be cold soon, old building, not fixable.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This summer cannot end soon enough. Another hot day, and 89 inside with the heater on, and a portable air con running.
You have an air conditioner? Luxury!
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I did speak to the on site manager, he said in his hard to understand voice, it will be cold soon, old building, not fixable.
89 degrees inside?? That's horrible! They really do need to fix that, it's a health issue. 'Not fixable' is crap, they just mean the money hasn't been made available to fix it.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Neighbor moved and gave it to us, its just a portable type, but the heater is better at its job so it really doesn't do much..
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a luxury when all it can do is keep the inside temp at 89 degrees. Hate to think what it'd be without it.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

We have "hardscaping" all over the place, rocks laid instead of mulch, rocks as decorative features, rows of rocks around the horse barn, rocks, rocks and more rocks.

Wild weather here this week, lightning storm around four this morning close to being overhead, lashing rain, horses kicking up a ruckus. Calm now but 38C with the humidex (29 without) and very damp.

That 4am lightning storm was insane, I found myself googling whether dogs could die of fright, Our latest rescue, who hates loud noises, and was found with shotgun pellets in her back was inconsolable. I was cuddling from one side and our other dog was cuddling from the other but she was still panting with terror and shivering. It was a very miserable 90 minutes for all of us.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
89 degrees inside?? That's horrible! They really do need to fix that, it's a health issue. 'Not fixable' is crap, they just mean the money hasn't been made available to fix it.
Yes its likely funding and budget, but the guy is pretty lazy too, so could be a mix.

I have gone above the local on site management to the head office in Vancouver, so I will give them a day or 2.

it has cooled off a bit now, 86.5 as of 5 minutes ago when I took the photo. It has also cooled outside a bit so that is helping.

This isn't my photo, but the heaters are the same kind, hot water copper pipes, no idea how these systems work or if its an issue within our unit, or if every unit shares the same pipes.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 13th 2021 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
That 4am lightning storm was insane, I found myself googling whether dogs could die of fright, Our latest rescue, who hates loud noises, and was found with shotgun pellets in her back was inconsolable. I was cuddling from one side and our other dog was cuddling from the other but she was still panting with terror and shivering. It was a very miserable 90 minutes for all of us.
The dogs, usually disturbed by anything at all, slept through the storm as if it was a burglar. The horses whinnied but, when they're really upset, they tear up their stalls and they didn't do that, just shouted at the storm. Still, as ferocious a storm as I've seen in Ontario.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The dogs, usually disturbed by anything at all, slept through the storm as if it was a burglar. The horses whinnied but, when they're really upset, they tear up their stalls and they didn't do that, just shouted at the storm. Still, as ferocious a storm as I've seen in Ontario.
We have been lucky in that respect. Curly, the Spaniel, was quite happy to go to a fireworks display and would snooze throughout. Ted is also unaffected, but Alice, our latest, and the toughest looking of the lot is beyond terrified, The continuous lightning was amazing. I got up to check if the electrical supply had been damaged and was sparking as I have never seen lightning like that.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 2:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We have been lucky in that respect. Curly, the Spaniel, was quite happy to go to a fireworks display and would snooze throughout. Ted is also unaffected, but Alice, our latest, and the toughest looking of the lot is beyond terrified, The continuous lightning was amazing. I got up to check if the electrical supply had been damaged and was sparking as I have never seen lightning like that.
Quite bothersome to think this is the future. Well, this, forest fires, coastal flooding, droughts, and so on.
Old Aug 13th 2021, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Seems to be slightly cooler inside today, only reached 87.5F so far, but the smoke is making my eyes run, and face hurt.

One up side the the last apartment was it had a heat pump so air conditioning in summer and could leave everything closed up and the air filters on and kept things good inside, but air filters don't work so well, well not at all with a window needing to be open n the bedroom.

Upside is someone is supposed to come next week to look at the heater and try to fix it.

Air filters are on and they have a quality indicator, both are red, and they are on turbo high, first time I recall either of them going to turbo mode.

The smoke is awful, that weird feeling in the head you get if you smoke a cig but are not a smoker, kind of like that in a way, add in the heat and this summer sucks live popsicles.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 14th 2021 at 12:12 am.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 2:25 am
Account Closed

woo hoo only got to 85F inside today and now down to 81F, maybe each day will get a wee bit cooler.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 12:57 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There's a tornado warning within 15 miles of Regina, but it's all supposed to be west of us (for now). There are big thunderboomers outside - as Lloyd the Newfie used to say, The angels are bowlin'.
edit; the severe thunderstorm watch for Regina was just upgraded to a warning
then marble-sized hail, still coming down a bit

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 1st 2021 at 1:36 am.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 4:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It was single digits this morning here in Kamloops with mid 20's as the high later this afternoon. This is the perfect weather for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.