Ford on Kimmel

Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ford on Kimmel

Originally Posted by dbd33
Under Ford my taxes, in Toronto, have skyrocketed. I think his claims in that regard are all bluster, not that I hold being a liar against him; he's mayor, that's what they do.
That's really rubbish. You can't be fat and raise taxes.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
Originally Posted by Oakvillian
which is why it never got as far as a judge. It doesn't make it any less likely that he's an abuser, though. In fact, as both ExKiwiLass and Bats have pointed out, the inconsistencies in his poor wife's story, as reported, make the fact of abuse more likely to be the case, at the same time as they make it less likely provable in court.
This is not internally consistent. Anything that makes a fact more likely is just such a thing that makes a fact true on a balance of probabilities (or BRD), as the case may be.

No need to continue this point. Maybe he is just a lump of lard. Whatever.
I'll thank you not to tell me what point I may or may not continue to make on an internet forum. I don't see an inconsistency in what I said. Ford's wife was beaten, she went to the cops, her abuser threatened her further, she changed her story, her story is reported as suffering from inconsistencies, the case is dropped by prosecutors. This would hardly be the first time an abused wife changes her story because of threats of additional violence. The fact that she changed her story makes the original claim all the more likely to have been true, at the same time as it makes it less likely to be prosecuted successfully. Which is what I said. QED.

Justice, as we all know, is rarely solely about truth.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

I'll thank you not to tell me what point I may or may not continue to make on an internet forum. I don't see an inconsistency in what I said. Ford's wife was beaten, she went to the cops, her abuser threatened her further, she changed her story, her story is reported as suffering from inconsistencies, the case is dropped by prosecutors. This would hardly be the first time an abused wife changes her story because of threats of additional violence. The fact that she changed her story makes the original claim all the more likely to have been true, at the same time as it makes it less likely to be prosecuted successfully. Which is what I said. QED.

How would you expect the Crown to prove its case BRD if defence lawyers can shoot holes in a witness's prior inconsistent statements? If victims want 'justice' they should stick to their story.

You may continue the debate; I was simply stating my lack of interest in continuing any speculation.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Sorry but as someone who is paid to do this stuff, your assumption is flawed...liars change their story when put under pressure.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but as someone who is paid to do this stuff, your assumption is flawed...liars change their story when put under pressure.
And victims of abuse change their story when put under pressure, too. Which camp does Mrs Ford fall into? Sadly, we won't find out through the courts, because it's too simple to intimidate somebody into changing a story and thereby raising just such a doubt. Which was rather the point I was making.

You may be "paid to do this stuff" but you don't seem to have much of a grasp of human nature. I have (thankfully not direct) experience of at least two occasions where such a case has not come to court simply because the victim was either too terrified to give evidence or was intimidated into changing their story.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

How would you expect the Crown to prove its case BRD if defence lawyers can shoot holes in a witness's prior inconsistent statements? If victims want 'justice' they should stick to their story.

You may continue the debate; I was simply stating my lack of interest in continuing any speculation.
Could you possibly be a little more condescending to terrified victims? I don't think your dismissal of their position is quite strong enough here.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Chow says she wants to put LRT on our roads in Scarborough, trains on the road instead of subway!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:43 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Chow says she wants to put LRT on our roads in Scarborough, trains on the road instead of subway!!!!
Good. The subway thing was a big Ford red herring. A surface LRT will serve more people, more quickly, at less cost. The subway debate should never have been reopened by Ford after every other authority (including the city council themselves) had agreed that surface LRT was the right answer. Buffoon.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Could you possibly be a little more condescending to terrified victims? I don't think your dismissal of their position is quite strong enough here.
I will try...perhaps there are two sides to every story. Better?

It is not a "dismissal" at all. It is very frustrating not to be able to do justice to the deserving; it is equally frustrating when someone is found liable for something they did not in fact do.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

And victims of abuse change their story when put under pressure, too. Which camp does Mrs Ford fall into? Sadly, we won't find out through the courts, because it's too simple to intimidate somebody into changing a story and thereby raising just such a doubt. Which was rather the point I was making.

You may be "paid to do this stuff" but you don't seem to have much of a grasp of human nature. I have (thankfully not direct) experience of at least two occasions where such a case has not come to court simply because the victim was either too terrified to give evidence or was intimidated into changing their story.
I assure you have seen elements of human nature that inform my position.

Would you be willing to confirm whether you are a woman? Would you argue that the legal system does 'justice' to fathers in child custody cases?
I have seen woman of all shades of the socio-economic spectrum (when under pressure) spouting the most awful falsehoods against the children's father. For example, boldly lying to a judge that they witnessed the father sexually abusing their daughter, simply becuase she was 'miffed' that the guy had the nerve to have a fling with a co-worker. Ot that the guy physically abused the mother or the children. Or drug and alcohol abuse. Or involvement in crime. Or all such manner of things. One upstanding lady citizen accused her partner of shagging the neighbour's dog!

Who is the actual 'victim' here?

Shit yes, people change their stories, but I assure you they do so with all sorts of motive. I find you a little naive.

Last edited by FirstRatofftheShipUK; Mar 13th 2014 at 8:05 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Would you be willing to confirm whether you are a woman?
That made me giggle. Observe the blue circle with pointy arrow arrangement next to my username over there <-- and you'll doubtless conclude that on the balance of probabilities I am, in fact, a man.