Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Food insecurity & Canada

Food insecurity & Canada

Old Sep 22nd 2015, 10:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food insecurity & Canada

Originally Posted by Shard
Do welfare recipients need to pay for meds ? Seems a bit onerous...
Varies by Province. In this one it's $4 a time.

As with the UK, one can also get assistance if one is above means tested benefit levels but not so far above as to be able to afford the meds.

However, those rules vary too, assessments are very strict and incomes of others in the house count as being available. Even life insurance can mean you don't qualify. The policy may need cashing in first.

There's also nothing like the UK's pre-payment cert (season ticket) where where multiple meds can be obtained for the cost of about two prescriptions.

The UK also does free stuff for certain conditions - diabetes among them. Not here. Although I believe Ontario might give $100 a month for diabetic supplies like test strips.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 22nd 2015 at 10:49 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Likely has some truth to it, maybe selective journalism... who knows.

My local food bank down the street which I drive past twice/day is open every Tuesday & what I see are folks with expensive newish cars [Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW, latest Japanese models] parked outside loading up with food bank take out. Seeing those same patrons all on cell phones both enetering & exiting the food bank. Few if any I observed that got off at the bus stop or that walked down the street to the food bank.

Could it be that food bank users all mostly middle class, folks that have a roof over their head, cell phones, internet, cable TV, latest gadgets, frequent coffee shops, fast food places down to take out food?

I'm wondering what economic class of persons frequent thrift stores - some folks will say 'you wont find me dead in one of those places'

I'm not saying the Global TV article is not true, its just some more info on 'why folks don't have enough money for food'. Is it purely they don't have enough of the right food because they don't have enopugh income, or is it their income is spent on other things - toys, latest gadgets, habits, take out food, coffee shops?
B
I used to volunteer in a food bank. Rural. Not even the volunteers had nice cars!
Many of the clients walked a few miles to collect their rations. Toiletries were also provided, toothpaste,shampoo, kids foods. Small bags of candy for their lunch bags. Tampax for the women. Mostly families, a few seniors wearing old but good clothing.

They don't have enough income. Plain and simple.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 12:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I liked your hand caught salmon anecdote ! Is it feasible for you to river fish or pier fish and catch some more for your wife ?
I've thought about, then start looking into the regulations and get confused by all the rules, a lot more to fishing then I ever realized.

Not sure if you can fish in Howe Sound without a boat, not really anywhere I can think of where you'd have much access from land, I'd have to ask around with the locals, I know people crab but not sure where they set the traps.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 12:21 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've thought about, then start looking into the regulations and get confused by all the rules, a lot more to fishing then I ever realized.

Not sure if you can fish in Howe Sound without a boat, not really anywhere I can think of where you'd have much access from land, I'd have to ask around with the locals, I know people crab but not sure where they set the traps.
Porteau Cove has a big pier - at least it did last time I was there.

Just ask Oink about the rules, he must have them memorised by now.

Last edited by Shard; Sep 23rd 2015 at 12:25 am.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 3:36 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
B
I used to volunteer in a food bank. Rural. Not even the volunteers had nice cars!
Many of the clients walked a few miles to collect their rations. Toiletries were also provided, toothpaste,shampoo, kids foods. Small bags of candy for their lunch bags. Tampax for the women. Mostly families, a few seniors wearing old but good clothing.

It is a bit like the Syrian refugees thread. If someone can convince themselves that these people are cheats and do not deserve help then there is no need to feel guilty about being totally self centered, tight fisted, and selfish.

(Self censored to remove profanities.)
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
B

+1.

Current food bank volunteer. No one gets turned away, but they do have to provide evidence of income/lack thereof/circumstances within a reasonable amount of time (usually around 4 weeks, which can be extended).

We get a lot of referrals from welfare & other organisations, of people waiting for EI/benefits/welfare etc payments. We also refer people to welfare/other organisations - you'd be surprised how many people don't know they might be entitled to some form of assistance.

There are "nice" cars outside. They belong to volunteers who drive people who live too far away to walk to our location (semi-rural), or to the volunteers who deliver to those who can't come in person.

In the last 2 years, there has been an increase in beneficiaries who are actually working, but income isn't enough to feed families as well as pay rent etc.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

'Feast or famine': Thanksgiving food bank shortages - Photo Galleries - Toronto - CBC News
Old Nov 18th 2015, 3:53 am
Account Closed

Food bank use in B.C. highest on record for province - British Columbia - CBC News

Food bank use up 28% in BC since 2008.

Even worse in other provinces:

Alberta up 83% since 2008.

32% in BC listed disability as their income source.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 18th 2015 at 3:55 am.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is a bit like the Syrian refugees thread. If someone can convince themselves that these people are cheats and do not deserve help then there is no need to feel guilty about being totally self centered, tight fisted, and selfish.

(Self censored to remove profanities.)
I like you!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:18 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Where I used to live, one of the food banks was located in arguably the richest part of the area and used well. What people fail to see when they judge the outside appearance is maybe a family that once was doing well and are now down in their luck for whatever reason- redundancy, illness etc. You can say get rid of the car or the phone but if that's your way to get to a job interview and it usually costs more to sell a car to downsize to a smaller one then you're not going to do that. You are going to hope that something turns up soon and in the meantime get judged by someone else.

Not2Old- has nobody ever offered you or done something kind for you ever in your entire life?
Old Dec 19th 2015, 10:12 am
Account Closed

There’s a Food Security Crisis in Canada and It’s Worse Than You Think | VICE | United States

I am still perplexed how Canada has no national food supplement program for those who have food insecurity. Even the US which isn't known for a good social safety net realizes food banks and charities can't keep people fed on their own.