View Poll Results: Whats hanging outside your home?
Nothing at all
70.59%
A Maple Leaf
9.80%
A "British" Flag
1.96%
A Maple Leaf and a "British" flag
15.69%
Who gives a damn.
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Flying the flag?

Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying the flag?

In light of a recent comment about how you cant fly the flag in the UK without being labelled a racist, I was wondering how many of the expat canadian resident contingent here have taken the opportunity to fly the flag of their choice here, safe from any negative connotations...

A "british" flag in this context could be the union flag, or one of the constituent national flags, or the lion rampant, etc.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 27th 2008 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:06 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flying the flag?

Originally Posted by iaink
In light of a recent comment about how you cant fly the flag in the UK without being labelled a racist, I was wondering how many of the expat canadian resident contingent here have taken the opportunity to fly the flag of their choice here, safe from any negative connotations...
I fly the St Georges Cross alongside a bigger Maple Leaf!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

My OH wants to get a Union Jack to fly alongside a Maple Leaf
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe when I move back to Northern Ireland I'll put up a Canadian flag just to confuse the locals.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Union Jack? where is he originally from?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think they must be banned around here, I haven't seen a single flag anywhere. Or can you not ban people flying flags? I know they don't like wooden fences, vinyl siding and a whole lot of other silly stuff... must dig out the restrictive covenant and see if flagpoles are in there too.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jempee
A ship, presumably.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jempee
Huh?

Is it called something else now?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:36 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what's outside my house - I think the colours go so prettily with my Maple Leaf flag.

I wouldn't fly the Union flag though, as apparently that's just racist.
Attached Thumbnails Flying the flag?-ku-klux-klan.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Huh?

Is it called something else now?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

I must say I am shocked by the level of flag flying apathy...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Here's what's outside my house - I think the colours go so prettily with my Maple Leaf flag.

I wouldn't fly the Union flag though, as apparently that's just racist.
Tell me you googled that and didnt just happen to have it handy...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Please, it is the Union flag not the Union Jack!

Sorry but this one of my biggest pet hates.

HH
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think they must be banned around here, I haven't seen a single flag anywhere. Or can you not ban people flying flags? I know they don't like wooden fences, vinyl siding and a whole lot of other silly stuff... must dig out the restrictive covenant and see if flagpoles are in there too.
Never heard of restrictive covenants on wooden fences before...chain link fences I've heard of in some subdivisions. Is the fence restriction a height limit thing?

I've seen flags that are two sided with one side being the Canadian flag and the other being a number of df't ones (including Italian, German, Quebec, England, UK, Scotland, USA) that would be suitable for many df't situations.
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I must say I am shocked by the level of flag flying apathy...
I don't have a pole.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink;
When we bought our house, there was a Canadian flag flying over the porch. We left it up for about a year after moving in so as not to be seen as disrepectful.

After the year, we knew our neighbours well enough to discover that they all found the flag (and the previous owners) to be obnoxiously ostentatious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.