Flooding Alberta!

Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:39 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flooding Alberta!

Saw many shocking TV reports. A long road ahead for cleaning up. Sincere sympathy for all those affected
Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Stay safe everyone - my thoughts are with you as you head towards the clean-up. Working with frequent large-scale flooding in Queensland I know only too well how long-lasting and devastating the effects can be
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:56 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Where's AC? Hopefully he has not been swamped...
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Where's AC? Hopefully he has not been swamped...
Fortunately, our place is some distance from the town and far enough uphill that it would take massive flooding for our property to be flooded.

However, we do not have telephone access via landline or cell and our internet has only just been restored. Compared to what others are having to go through, a minor inconvenience.

My eldest daughter had Thursday off school as her class attended a trip away from school for the previous few days. She and her grade had agreed to meet at school on Thursday and they met at the school just as the Highwood River started to rise.

She called us to say that they were being asked to assist with the evacuation of High River as the school had been commandeered to be used as a muster point. She arrived home at quarter past midnight Friday morning and said that, as she had served so many pancakes to those affected, she never wanted to see another pancake ever again in her life.

She said that those affected were very sad but were upbeat.

We have some people staying with us who are totally devastated. Speaking to them they indicated that, while they have house insurance, such disasters are not covered by insurance anywhere in Canada. I haven't looked into the legal side of that, but it seems wonky to me. However, watching the constant news reports yesterday, this appears to be the accepted position. Heavens knows what those affected will do.

I managed to make it to work in downtown Calgary by 6:30 a.m. yesterday. My office is in the Suncor building and when I arrived, downtown Calgary appeared to be OK in that area. By 9:00 a.m. the building was evacuated and, upon leaving, again, that area of downtown seemed OK and the trip home was relatively uneventful.

The thing that amazed me was how often people pulled over from Deerfoot Trail (for those that don't know it is a highway that runs north/south through the city with no intersections that one has to stop at - it has on/off ramps rather than traffic lights so it is the fastest road along which to travel when there are no issues with volume). Frequently, people would simply pull over 3 lanes to stop instantly when a photo opportunity arose and they rejoin equally as abruptly once they had taken their photo. Sheer madness.

I hope that all those affected will be able to deal with the clean up once the water subsides. My thoughts are with all of them.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jun 22nd 2013 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Fortunately, our place is some distance from the town and far enough uphill that it would take massive flooding for our property to be flooded.

However, we do not have telephone access via landline or cell and our internet has only just been restored. Compared to what others are having to go through, a minor inconvenience.

My eldest daughter had Thursday off school as her class attended a trip away from school for the previous few days. She and her grade had agreed to meet at school on Thursday and they met at the school just as the Highwood River started to rise.

She called us to say that they were being asked to assist with the evacuation of High River as the school had been commandeered to be used as a muster point. She arrived home at quarter past midnight Friday morning and said that, as she had served so many pancakes to those affected, she never wanted to see another pancake ever again in her life.

She said that those affected were very sad but were upbeat.

We have some people staying with us who are totally devastated. Speaking to them they indicated that, while they have house insurance, such disasters are not covered by insurance anywhere in Canada. I haven't looked into the legal side of that, but it seems wonky to me. However, watching the constant news reports yesterday, this appears to be the accepted position. Heavens knows what those affected will do.

I managed to make it to work in downtown Calgary by 6:30 a.m. yesterday. My office is in the Suncor building and when I arrived, downtown Calgary appeared to be OK in that area. By 9:00 a.m. the building was evacuated and, upon leaving, again, that area of downtown seemed OK and the trip home was relatively uneventful.

The thing that amazed me was how often people pulled over from Deerfoot Trail (for those that don't know it is a highway that runs north/south through the city with no intersections that one has to stop at - it has on/off ramps rather than traffic lights so it is the fastest road along which to travel when there are no issues with volume). Frequently, people would simply pull over 3 lanes to stop instantly when a photo opportunity arose and they rejoin equally as abruptly once they had taken their photo. Sheer madness.

I hope that all those affected will be able to deal with the clean up once the water subsides. My thoughts are with all of them.

Thanks for the great update. Insurers always seem to know how to get out of paying for something big !
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:49 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

The government stepped in after the flood of 2005, but I think the amounts paid out were capped, but my memory might be playing tricks on me. IMHO this where insurance should pay up. This is a catastrophic loss.
Many people, including some of my friends, will be severely impacted by this and I can only imagine that the recovery from this will not be a pleasant road.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
The government stepped in after the flood of 2005, but I think the amounts paid out were capped, but my memory might be playing tricks on me. IMHO this where insurance should pay up. This is a catastrophic loss.
Many people, including some of my friends, will be severely impacted by this and I can only imagine that the recovery from this will not be a pleasant road.
If there is coverage, the insurers will have to pay. The issue is: whether such disasters were specifically excluded by policies. There was talk on the news of "overland" water damage, as opposed to a pipe bursting. The impression I was left with is that such damage is not available anywhere in Canada. I don't know whether this is correct.

Edit: This link would suggest it isn't covered: Overland water damage
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 2:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

There was talk on the news of "overland" water damage, as opposed to a pipe bursting. The impression I was left with is that such damage is not available anywhere in Canada. I don't know whether this is correct.

Absolutely correct according to this article in today's Calgary Herald.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/fl...292/story.html
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is coverage, the insurers will have to pay. The issue is: whether such disasters were specifically excluded by policies. There was talk on the news of "overland" water damage, as opposed to a pipe bursting. The impression I was left with is that such damage is not available anywhere in Canada. I don't know whether this is correct.

Yes, I know they will pay if it is covered in the policy (e.g. sewer back up, if purchased) IMO insurance should be available for this type of disaster, but unfortunately, for those affected, the impression you have been left with is probably correct with respect to homeowners. I think flood coverage is still available for commercial properties, so why not for homeowners.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Absolutely correct according to this article in today's Calgary Herald.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/fl...292/story.html
Thanks Steve
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 5:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is the same in BC. Private insurers do not offer coverage for flood. The provincial government is supposed to pick up the tab for perils that cannot be insured privately.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Just started raining again.

All I've got to say on the insurance issue is that I've been through a bigger natural disaster than this before and the lesson I learned from that is why I made sure when I moved to Calgary I was living outside the floodplain. The insurance industry (like every industry) is about making money, not helping you.

Most of the city is outside the floodplain, but a lot of the original parts of the city (basically pre-1960) are not. Which is why downtown and all the communites along the Bow and Elbow are underwater.

I can understand why people built houses and so on close to water back then, especially with less of a flood history to look back at. What I don't understand is why people buy 1950s-era homes along the Elbow River, knock them down and build a new house there. Prior to this flood that was the thing to do, loads of new custom houses have been built there in the last few years. I thought all the people doing that were crazy. All you have to do is look at the floodplain map to see why.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The horrendous floods in Queesnsland in 2010-11 caused huge insurance issues. The are wrangles still going on over whether flooding of properties was down to falling rain or rising rivers - one covered, the other not covered.
Longer term the fallout has been huge - many companies now have whole towns which are blacklisted, where they will not offer any flood insurance at all, while others have premiums so high that no-one can realistically afford them.

Heartbreaking to see the devastation happening in Canada as it happened here Stay safe and stay strong.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 11:50 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

A/C really glad to hear you and yours are safe and kudos to your daughter and you all for your efforts.

For those who remember Butch Cassidy, him and Mrs BC are also fine, though were evacuated from their home yesterday into a rental property they own which was also on the edge of an evacuation zone Frying pan / fire?????
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 12:19 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a property/casualty insurer and unfortunately overland flood causation is not covered in the majority of homeowner policies, why, I don't know, yes it may result in premium increase but sure people would buy it. However it is standard that it can be added as an endorsement to a commercial insurance policy!?

I hope everyone stays safe and that they get through this with government support, however having recently experienced this with clients in Newfoundland a couple of years back for hurricane igor in 2010 , there was a cap on amount paid by government that went no where near the cost to fix everything.

Some days I hate my job

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Jun 23rd 2013 at 12:21 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.