Fibe TV connections

Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fibe TV connections

This is probably better posted here than in The Lab given that it's specific to BellAliant equipment so connections may not be the same in other countries.

We have BellAliant's Fibe TV service (Bundle including phone and internet) and it's connected to three TVs, none of them HD. The newest TV is from around 2004. None have USB ports nor even HDMI port.

Yet the Fibe connections are all there.

I'm looking at this Toshiba TV from Best Buy.

It's very well reviewed with most of the negative iassues concerning the mounting. But one other review concerns me.
...does not have all the INPUT Components required for Fibe TV so you need purchase an HDMI cable if you do not have an extra one handy. Ended up exchanging for another 28" Toshiba model that was a little cheaper/smaller but had better sound and all the required components for fibe TV.
Given the age of our three TVs and lack of USB/HDMI ports yet with no Fibe connectivity problems, how likely is it that this review is accurate and that our existing Fibe connections would not connect to this Toshiba TV?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fibe TV connections

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is probably better posted here than in The Lab given that it's specific to BellAliant equipment so connections may not be the same in other countries.

We have BellAliant's Fibe TV service (Bundle including phone and internet) and it's connected to three TVs, none of them HD. The newest TV is from around 2004. None have USB ports nor even HDMI port.

Yet the Fibe connections are all there.

I'm looking at this Toshiba TV from Best Buy.

It's very well reviewed with most of the negative iassues concerning the mounting. But one other review concerns me.

Given the age of our three TVs and lack of USB/HDMI ports yet with no Fibe connectivity problems, how likely is it that this review is accurate and that our existing Fibe connections would not connect to this Toshiba TV?
I don't know the answer to that but, as HDMI cables are not that expensive, what real difference would it make anyway?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't know the answer to that but, as HDMI cables are not that expensive, what real difference would it make anyway?
Yes, I already have such a cable. I was going to experiment with it (playing movies from a laptop) and then discovered that none of the TVs, monitors or PlayStation had the necessary connection.

Nevertheless, if I have to use an HDMI cable to connect the Fibe, then this may negatively impact on the ability to play movies from the laptop to the TV.

It would also involve me checking that the Fibe connections that we have would enable HDMI output to the TVs and that would involve lots of crawling and shifting around the equipment when some wise person here probably knows the answer.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

So your current tv's, how are they connected to the Fibe Box(es)? Component Video? I imagine your FIBE box will support HDMI connections as well - and yes, buying a tv with component video these days is difficult as HDMI has taken over.

I have a TV connected to FibreOp with Bell Aliant (I think they've renamed FibreOp to Fibe here) with HDMI. Thats upstairs near the FIBE box. The TV in the family room was going to be hardwired into the home network (although I haven't bothered with a Fibe Box because I watch so little actual TV) but as it connects fine via Wifi (as does the Apple TV) I never bothered finishing the Cat5e connections. Must get round to that sometime!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:59 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So your current tv's, how are they connected to the Fibe Box(es)? Component Video?
No idea. The BellAliant guy came when we converted to FibreOp and added Internet TV to the phone/internet package (now, renamed Fibe as you say). Our TVs were connected up to StarChoice originally but then Shaw when they took over.

As far as I could tell, the BellAliant guy just connected the Fibe boxes in the same way the StarChoice/Shaw boxes were connected.

Perhaps I need to do some crawling.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 2:42 pm
Oscar nominated

I checked our main TV and the 'second' one and they both have the same connections that the Fibe leads connect to as the Toshiba has. I saw it in BestBuy on Tuesday when I bought a fridge and it impressed me, especially for the price.

Today I saw it was online, for $30 less and free delivery
I ordered two.

The 6 they had on line sold out in about 40 minutes.