Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast

Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast

Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast

Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast with 190 conditions - Politics - CBC News
Good news or bad news for Canada? I personally think its good for Canada and will help the economy a great deal,if they keep to the conditions and dont wreck the environment.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 6:33 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast

Originally Posted by neilcumming
...if they keep to the conditions and dont wreck the environment.
If it's a question of a dollar or the environment then bye bye geese.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast

The planned plant in Squamish received federal approval in March.

The locals there are not all that happy about it.

Still have to see if the companies planning the investments into these plants actually proceed with them and build the plants.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Federal government approves liquefied natural gas project on B.C. coast with 190 conditions - Politics - CBC News
Good news or bad news for Canada? I personally think its good for Canada and will help the economy a great deal,if they keep to the conditions and dont wreck the environment.
I've just returned from a business trip to Kitimat, Prince Rupert and Terrace. Given the depressed state of the economy in those communities it can only be seen as good news. Environmental impact is another issue.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

They approved it as a gamble that it will never happen - that's my guess.

As a safety net, they set about 190 environmental restrictions to be sure.

I doubt Petronas will ever take the project forward.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
They approved it as a gamble that it will never happen - that's my guess.

As a safety net, they set about 190 environmental restrictions to be sure.

I doubt Petronas will ever take the project forward.
That is the hope Squamish has as well that the requirements put on the approval will make the owner not likely to do the final investment, but who knows.

The Squamish plant ownership has a questionable track record when it comes to the environment and a history of tax evasion.

But the town has no say in the matter, the province, native tribe and feds all went along with approving it against the wishes of the local community.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 10:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't the Squamish people part of the local community in, er, Squamish?
Old Sep 30th 2016, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Aren't the Squamish people part of the local community in, er, Squamish?

Yes they are but doesn't mean the community as a whole is for it which is what I was referring to when I said against the wishes of the community as in, the entire community.

And just because band leadership approved something does not mean the members of the band agree or approve of it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 30th 2016 at 11:29 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

......... and now Petronas says it is looking at divesting itself of a large percentage of its interest in the Lelu Island refinery.

The deals for LNG are never going to bring in the amount of profits that Queen Christy promised last election.

IMHO ............ it is a bad deal for BC and the environment. The environment and the pristine state of the Salish Sea bring in a large number of tourist dollars.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to read that after the big announce by the ministers and the premier that it might not even get off the ground!