Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Favourite / worst Christmas carols / songs

Favourite / worst Christmas carols / songs

Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:04 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite / worst Christmas carols / songs

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Christmas can be useful. People at work now believe that I must belong to some kind of weird cult ( I overheard a conversation), all because I politely explained to my colleague that I don't celebrate Christmas.

Don't get me wrong , I have no problem with other people doing so , but I feel obliged to explain before peopel strat buying me gifts.

( I still have a nice stash of goodies though, allthough given the income bracket of our average parent , I still holdout hope that one day I will get a pair of leaf tickets or similar )
I'm no mentalist, but I love christmas. Booze, cakes, actual stuff to watch on TV, time off; yeah, I cerebrate it all right.

I see nobody has mentioned Wham yet. I know it's a bit gay, but after hearing it 500 times on the radio recently I've started to kind of like it.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:11 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm no mentalist, but I love christmas. Booze, cakes, actual stuff to watch on TV, time off; yeah, I cerebrate it all right.

I see nobody has mentioned Wham yet. I know it's a bit gay, but after hearing it 500 times on the radio recently I've started to kind of like it.
Here-here!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Aren't Christmas Carols something that Christians sing in Church? Of course I'm not sure, nor do I give a damn, but "Fairytale of New York" seems only slightly connected with the mainstream root culture of Christianity and hippopotamus envy even less so.
It seems to me that Fairytale of New York exactly captures the spirit of Christmas as a cultural event. It's particularly pertinent to the lives of immigrants, wondering why, oh why, they moved to this bleak place "The wind goes right through you, It's no place for the old".

The song starts with substance abuse, a feature of December in western society "It was Christmas Eve babe, In the drunk tank" and moves on the bitter recriminations one associates with family reunions "Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last". As well as capturing the seasonal spirit of rancour this couplet addresses the role of religion in a secular society, we think of religion annually and usually in terms of cursing.

One can argue that the mood of sad reflection later in the song "I could have been someone, Well so could anyone" better befits New Year than Christmas though I would say that the whole season gives one pause to consider another year past, another year, perhaps, of personal decline.

This is easily my favourite seasonal song. I thought it apt that I receive a Christmas greeting by email entitled "You took my dreams from me".
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite Christmas song is "Holy Night" by Pavarotti and Placido Domingo

I also love Boney M, and Susan Boyle's Chrismas songs.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It seems to me that Fairytale of New York exactly captures the spirit of Christmas as a cultural event. It's particularly pertinent to the lives of immigrants, wondering why, oh why, they moved to this bleak place "The wind goes right through you, It's no place for the old".

The song starts with substance abuse, a feature of December in western society "It was Christmas Eve babe, In the drunk tank" and moves on the bitter recriminations one associates with family reunions "Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last". As well as capturing the seasonal spirit of rancour this couplet addresses the role of religion in a secular society, we think of religion annually and usually in terms of cursing.

One can argue that the mood of sad reflection later in the song "I could have been someone, Well so could anyone" better befits New Year than Christmas though I would say that the whole season gives one pause to consider another year past, another year, perhaps, of personal decline.

This is easily my favourite seasonal song. I thought it apt that I receive a Christmas greeting by email entitled "You took my dreams from me".
Best seasonal post.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Best seasonal post.
And this is me when I'm happy.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

You could give Leonard Cohen a run for the money
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:51 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

What have you done this time?
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You could give Leonard Cohen a run for the money
"I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel, That's all, I don't think of you that often"

puts me in mind of someone. Lived all the cliches, I have.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

"I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel, That's all, I don't think of you that often"

puts me in mind of someone. Lived all the cliches, I have.
anything to do with unmade beds?
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
What have you done this time?
Me? Nothing mate, quiet small town life these days. Bliss, contentment, that sort of thing.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
anything to do with unmade beds?
Only when we moved into the room.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I could tell.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Xmas pop - Fairytale of new York

Xmas Carol - loads.. Born in the night, Mary's child. , O Come all ye faithful

Worst - Novelty ones like Mr Blobby, or Cliff with Mistletoe & wine.
I quite liked the Mr. Blobby song although Noel Edmonds is a knob. I think my favourite is Shakin' Stevens "Merry Christmas Everyone".
Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:37 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I might just have a mental breakdown if Susie Snowflake gets stuck in my head again:curse: And Five Gold rings can go take a running jump too.
I hadn't heard of Susie Snowflake until this Christmas. My 3 year old's nursery - in their infinite wisdom - taught the bloody thing to her. Why would they do that? Isn't Christmas stressful enough without having to face a murder charge based on a STUPID song??? It will be her or me!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.