Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

favourite Premium beers

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Premium beer?
Heineken
12.50%
Stella
15.63%
Bud (aka gay mans beer)
3.13%
Canadian
9.38%
Corona
6.25%
Creemore
3.13%
Fosters
0%
Kokanee
3.13%
Keiths
21.88%
MDG
3.13%
Moosehead
3.13%
Sleeman
18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

favourite Premium beers

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:17 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: favourite Premium beers

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I doubt the residents of Wandsworth were too sorry about that. My ex and I used to go through there on our way to work. The drays really snarled up the traffic.
I would bet that if you did a straw poll right now, most residents of Wandsworth would be happy to see the drays back. They were a lovely sight, and made people smile. What's replaced them on the roads? Oh, just more cars.

Still, as long as stonefaced commuters in their steel cocoons get to inch along Garrett Lane a wee bit faster.....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I would bet that if you did a straw poll right now, most residents of Wandsworth would be happy to see the drays back. They were a lovely sight, and made people smile. What's replaced them on the roads? Oh, just more cars.

Still, as long as stonefaced commuters in their steel cocoons get to inch along Garrett Lane a wee bit faster.....
I wouldn't disagree that they were a nice sight but sending them out in the morning rush hour wasn't a great idea.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:22 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Can any Ontario folks give me an idea of drinking costs? (Just getting my priorities in order here)
Such as -
A pint?
A spirit & mixer ie: vodka & white?
Bottled beer or maybe pre-mixed stuff ie: bacardi breezer?
Shots?
Just a rough idea would be good!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know and the reason I don't know is that it's usual to run a tab, the price of individual drinks doesn't much come into it. Three hours in a bar with the OH is about $100. Two hours in a bar with the older two kids but no OH is about $200.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Can any Ontario folks give me an idea of drinking costs? (Just getting my priorities in order here)
Such as -
A pint?
Shots?
If you're drinking at home..... http://www.lcbo.ca/entry.html
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:12 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Such as -
A pint?
Shots?

Depends where you drink, I think someone quoted you LCBO prices if you drink out in a TO bar/club your looking at usually $6-7 for a bottle of heiny or Stella, if you go to a strip club then your looking for $9 a bottle of Heiny or stella, if you go to your local in a smaller town then about $5-6 for a pint of Heineken, Domestic are a fair bit cheaper ($1-2 a bottle or pint depending what you drink). Coolers (Breezer and such) are a similar price to premium bottled beers. Vodka and coke at my local will be about $6. You can add tax and tip to all these of course.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We used to drink in here:

http://home.istar.ca/~feathers/

scotch started at $25 the ounce. (I believe that's ten guineas the pentagram in metric.)
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:21 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If you're drinking at home..... http://www.lcbo.ca/entry.html
Thank you! And there's cider too, can't ask for more than that.

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Depends where you drink, I think someone quoted you LCBO prices if you drink out in a TO bar/club your looking at usually $6-7 for a bottle of heiny or Stella, if you go to a strip club then your looking for $9 a bottle of Heiny or stella, if you go to your local in a smaller town then about $5-6 for a pint of Heineken, Domestic are a fair bit cheaper ($1-2 a bottle or pint depending what you drink). Coolers (Breezer and such) are a similar price to premium bottled beers. Vodka and coke at my local will be about $6. You can add tax and tip to all these of course.
I will endeavour to avoid strip clubs then, damn pricey joints. Are domestic brands horrific, given the price difference?

Originally Posted by dbd33
scotch started at $25 the ounce. (I believe that's ten guineas the pentagram in metric.)
I'm pretty sketchy with measurements and such, but I usually avoid places which sell merchandise by the ounce..........
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:56 pm

Are domestic brands horrific, given the price difference?

I'm pretty sketchy with measurements and such, but I usually avoid places which sell merchandise by the ounce..........
The major domestic brands are more insipid than horrific. Curiously, several of the majors have discount brands that are often much stronger and taste better than their mainstream products.

Some domestics are quite good. I find Tremblay reminiscent of Becks.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen domestics as cheap as $1-2. They're usually about $3.

The pub in my town used to have $2.50/bottle on domestics one night a week. Don't know if they'd still be able to do that as the LCBO tend to clamp down on any promotion that may tempt you to drink more.

And they are are generally insipid.
Think Canadian, Coors Light, Labatt Blue...

Don't know any of the discount brands the "brewers" of these make that might be any better, Souv.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mr Lee

The pub in my town used to have $2.50/bottle on domestics one night a week. Don't know if they'd still be able to do that as the LCBO tend to clamp down on any promotion that may tempt you to drink more.

Don't know any of the discount brands the "brewers" of these make that might be any better, Souv.
The OH brought home some "Six Dollar Six Packs" last night. Fat Tire and Odell's. Very nice. Alas, she brought them home from America.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:32 pm

cadpah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sinha stout anytime!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:44 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you! And there's cider too, can't ask for more than that.

I will endeavour to avoid strip clubs then, damn pricey joints. Are domestic brands horrific, given the price difference?
I quite like Lucky and brava for a buck ish a beer you cast go wrong if feeling poor. If Im out I usuallly drink heiny or stella but domestic such as keiths, canadian, sleeman are all cheaper and pretty enjoyable.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadpah
Sinha stout anytime!
My man at the local LCBO told me they'd had to withdraw it from sale for some unknown reason!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Lee

I'd say Molson Dry (discount) is somewhat more palatable than Canadian (premium).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.