Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

FAMOUS CANADIAN INVENTIONS

FAMOUS CANADIAN INVENTIONS

Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:43 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FAMOUS CANADIAN INVENTIONS

Originally Posted by scaffroche
Your Avatar is a Canadian ! Well actually I Dunno !I assumed Yogi Bear is Canadian
Yogi is an American he lives in Jellystone (Yellowstone) National Park.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:52 am
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
The word SORRY
Maybe Manners are a Canadian invention as I have experienced the ultimate manners ie. Thank you - every possible opportunity on the part of my future Employer .
Old Mar 8th 2008, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

Gingerale
Boardgames: Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, or Pictionary
IMAX
Superman comic
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Winnie the Pooh wasn't Canadian, but was inspired by a Canadian, a bear named Winnipeg, whom a Winnipeg soldier took to England during WW I. She became the mascot of that soldier's regiment. However, when the regiment was about to be shipped to the front lines in France, the soldier placed the bear in the care of London Zoo. After WW I, before he returned home, the soldier formally donated the bear to London Zoo.

A. A. Milne used to take his son, Christopher Robin, to the zoo. Christopher was enchanted by Winnipeg, and visited her often. He then named his toy bear Winnie, after Winnipeg at the zoo. That's what inspired Milne to name his fictitious bear Winnie.
x
Where does 'The Pooh' bit come from then?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

andrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really nice

Originally Posted by seanyg
Following my recent thread of Famous Canadians, I thought I'd test our knowledge of Canadian inventions too. I've since come up with:-

1. The television
2. The telephone
3. The zip

I honestly didn't google any of those so please try and use google as a last resort cos it's more fun to try and rack our brains, n'est-ce pas?!

Anita
John Logie Baird (a Scottish man) invented the television and Alexander Graham Bell (a Scottish man) invented the telphone - two useless pieces of information I remember from school!!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Sir Sandford Fleming invented

Standard time
Inline skates

Yes, apparently you can invent time.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrew & linda
John Logie Baird (a Scottish man) invented the television and Alexander Graham Bell (a Scottish man) invented the telphone - two useless pieces of information I remember from school!!
oops i was sure they were canuck inventions! d'oh.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

oops i was sure they were canuck inventions! d'oh.
Not to worry. That still leaves ginger beef.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:26 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
Yes, apparently you can invent time.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
but only in peterborough where it passes so slowly you have to think of ways to speed things up
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:34 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daft batty
but only in peterborough where it passes so slowly you have to think of ways to speed things up
Peterboro is the gateway to the Kawarthas, no matter how much time I had to spend in limbo in that town of limited culture and pointless dot matrix displays (but superlative ice cream) I would consider it worth the effort to get into the local lake systems. No matter how full of cojoneless speedboat pilots and ignorants of seasonal anti-campfire laws it was. There are worse places to live
Old Mar 9th 2008, 12:46 am
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

Where does 'The Pooh' bit come from then?
Theres an obvious answer there but I'll resist the temptation to answer!!