Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Extreme heat & poor air quality for metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley

Extreme heat & poor air quality for metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley

Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extreme heat & poor air quality for metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley

I for one wish a/c was standard in buildings like heat is. bah a/c is more useful.... But I dont have it.....

Looking to be a hot warm for the near term. Can't recall ever going this long with so high temps in the 5 years I've been in BC.

Metro Vancouver, in cooperation with Environment Canada, the Fraser
Valley regional district and the B.C. environment ministry, is
continuing an air quality advisory. Air quality in the metro
Vancouver and Fraser Valley regional district has deteriorated due to
high smog levels brought on by very hot and sunny weather.? poor air
quality will persist until at least Friday when the ridge of high
pressure weakens, allowing cooler air to move in and disperse the
pollutants.

An unusually long heat-wave across the south coast of British
Columbia has begun. Temperatures will climb into the mid-to upper 30S
by Wednesday and computer models suggest the heat-wave may last 5 to
6 days. Many daily temperature records such as hottest July xx on
record will be broken and possibly monthly temperature records such
as hottest July day on record.

coping with the heat

Environment Canada and the bc centre for disease control (bccdc) are
reminding british columbians to take certain precautions to protect
themselves from the heat, including:

* never leave children or pets alone in a parked car. Temperatures
can rise to 52 c (125 f) within 20 minutes in an enclosed vehicle
when the outside temperature is 34 c (93 f). Leaving the car windows
slightly open or "cracked" will not keep the inside of the vehicle at
a safe temperature.

* drink Plenty of water and don't wait until you are thirsty to
drink. Talk to your doctor if you are on water pills or currently
limiting your fluid intake.

* avoid sunburn stay in the shade or use sunscreen with spf 15 or
more.

* to keep cool on hot days, stay indoors in air-conditioned
facilities or take a cool bath or shower. At indoor temperatures
above 35 c, fans are not effective at preventing heat-related
illness.

* limit daytime outdoor activity to early morning and late afternoon.

* avoid tiring work or exercise in the heat. If you must exercise,
drink two to four glasses of non-alcoholic fluids each hour.

* check regularly on older people, and those who are unable to leave
their homes, for signs of heat-related illness.

There are a variety of mild to severe symptoms linked with
heat-related illness, including thirst, dizziness, confusion,
weakness and fainting/collapsing. These are especially likely to
occur in the elderly and in persons with chronic conditions who are
exposed to the heat.

For more information on heat-related illness, please call bc
healthlink at 811.

2) coping with poor air quality

Air pollution can contribute to negative health effects ranging from
increased respiratory symptoms to hospitalizations and premature
deaths. According to health researchers, children, the elderly and
people with a pre-existing cardiac or respiratory illness are most at
risk. As the air quality deteriorates you may consider reducing or
rescheduling or avoiding strenuous activities outdoors especially if
you are experiencing symptoms such as coughing and throat irritation.

Residents are requested to reduce emissions to the atmosphere by
minimizing the use of their automobiles and curtailing other
activities which may lead to excess air emissions.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...e.html?prov=bc
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extreme heat & poor air quality for metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley

Personally - I'm loving this weather. I'd like to see 30+ all summer.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:30 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extreme heat & poor air quality for metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley

A great deal depends on when the building was built as to whether or not A/C is standard. Most, if not all, new apartment buildings built/being built in Toronto have central A/C installed. Apart from the "window" type units there are now free-standing versions that can easily be moved from room to room.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If I did not suffer from heat related illness so easily I might agree with you.

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
A great deal depends on when the building was built as to whether or not A/C is standard. Most, if not all, new apartment buildings built/being built in Toronto have central A/C installed. Apart from the "window" type units there are now free-standing versions that can easily be moved from room to room.
Not as lucky out here. My apartment is brand new, building just opended in May 2009. They didn't put a/c anywhere.

I'd buy a portable or window unit, but I have exactly 30 cents in the bank....No job.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We've had it many times before, just not for this long, probably since the late 90's. Be glad to see the back of it and get to some high overcast
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If I did not suffer from heat related illness so easily I might agree with you.
Yes - I can imagine that would make a heatwave suck somewhat. We've got another week of it to go too apparently.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
We've had it many times before, just not for this long, probably since the late 90's. Be glad to see the back of it and get to some high overcast
Don't you want some blue skies with some clouds like that scene in that film with your name on?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 8:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you want some blue skies with some clouds like that scene in that film with your name on?
Nah, I like high overcast, keeps the sun out of my eyes, and it is bloody hot cooped up in a plastic bubble in the sun, even with air on. Perhaps I should try a Tiger Moth, but then I'd get sun stroke.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I'll swap your sun for our rain any day!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:43 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

it's great innit ... although I'm not sure my poor mutt would agree
Attached Thumbnails Extreme heat & poor air quality for metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley-mt-baker-van.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:16 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Very odd year - extreme winter and now an extreme summer. Have to say that I have enjoyed the less rain. A bit on the hot side though recently. Great spring and summer though - outstanding.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:34 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Very odd year - extreme winter and now an extreme summer. Have to say that I have enjoyed the less rain. A bit on the hot side though recently. Great spring and summer though - outstanding.
Enjoy it because next year we are going to insist it returns to the east, where it rightfully belong.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:36 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

going for it
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:32 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
going for it
gone 4 1
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dboy
Out here we are gonna be breaking some records as is I am sure other citys as well. Local paper has an acrticle about the temps, with a global warming spin, but there have only been 3 times since 1881 where we have had 5 or more consecutive days above 32C.

They were 1928, 1981 and 2004.

We have had 9 total for July so far, average July above 30C is 2 days. Also the driest June/July since 1965.

I am hoping for a very mild winter this year...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.