Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

experiences with being home sick

experiences with being home sick

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:36 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: experiences with being home sick

Originally Posted by Steve_
What, to compare to? I find Burrard St in Vancouver reminds me of a number of UK town centre-type streets, Tottenham Court Road came to mind. A drive around the suburban coast of Vancouver Island from Victoria reminds of erm... Plymouth I guess? I even had some guy drive past me in a RHD MG-A. I almost said Dawlish but it's not that bad.

I remember one place I stopped on the coast, I could have sworn I was in Douglas or possibly Brighton.
Actually the question was in relation to Britain "driving you around the bend" and you "not liking it". There are parts of BC that have a faint whiff of Britishness.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, pretty much all of the UK drives me around the bend. Starting with arriving at LHR Terminal 5 which is sort of like a big shopping mall rammed with people but you can't easily escape from it. Then getting on the M25 in all of that traffic, etc.

I think possibly I suffer from some odd form of agoraphobia, I've never had a panic attack in my life but the UK just strikes me as being way too crowded. I suppose if I was in the Yorkshire dales I would be okay but any given major town, I'd rather not.

Also suddenly having lots of people talking does my head in, people in Calgary are pretty anti-social and rarely does anyone say "hello" if I'm walking, then all of a sudden having large numbers of people around me yapping their heads off disorientates me.

I notice it on plane flights as well, on an American plane flight people will not shut the hell up, on a Canadian plane flight you can hear a pin drop.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:05 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Oh, pretty much all of the UK drives me around the bend. Starting with arriving at LHR Terminal 5 which is sort of like a big shopping mall rammed with people but you can't easily escape from it. Then getting on the M25 in all of that traffic, etc.

I think possibly I suffer from some odd form of agoraphobia, I've never had a panic attack in my life but the UK just strikes me as being way too crowded. I suppose if I was in the Yorkshire dales I would be okay but any given major town, I'd rather not.

Also suddenly having lots of people talking does my head in, people in Calgary are pretty anti-social and rarely does anyone say "hello" if I'm walking, then all of a sudden having large numbers of people around me yapping their heads off disorientates me.

I notice it on plane flights as well, on an American plane flight people will not shut the hell up, on a Canadian plane flight you can hear a pin drop.

Ok, fair enough. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Never found Calgarians particularly anti-social though.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:01 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well more accurately people in Calgary are social in certain settings. Like the Stampede. But hardly anyone talks to their neighbours, it's a bit strange. I've always thought it's to do with the winters, you physically can't talk to someone on the street if you're wrapped up and plus being trapped indoors for months people lose their social skills.

I used to think it was my imagination but having spoken to a number of Albertans I've bumped into while on vacation they're definitely more reserved than the locals. In fact I'd say Albertans are more reserved than Canadians generally. When I'm back east, I'm like wow, I'm not used to people starting the conversation!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The way not to be homesick is understand all Canadians are wankers and then just on with it.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:23 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The way not to be homesick is understand all Canadians are wankers and then just on with it.
In many ways I can't but agree...even if we put it somewhat differently! You do just seem to know that you will never be happy again, but that you can still cope and it will still be ok
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road

I'm super home sick, been in Vancouver since mid may of this year (married my Canadian spouse), we only just posted my PR application about 2 weeks ago Outland so fingers crossed I'm approved by mid summer next year, but I'm really struggling here. My time is killed by doing volunteering work, my main goal now is to return back to the uk and return to work and work until my PR is approved and then to return back to Canada. Ultimately I want to buy my own home here and move out of the in laws!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 12:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P4rv1n
I'm super home sick, been in Vancouver since mid may of this year (married my Canadian spouse), we only just posted my PR application about 2 weeks ago Outland so fingers crossed I'm approved by mid summer next year, but I'm really struggling here. My time is killed by doing volunteering work, my main goal now is to return back to the uk and return to work and work until my PR is approved and then to return back to Canada. Ultimately I want to buy my own home here and move out of the in laws!
This situation sounds (a) badly planned and (b) likely to come to grief.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks I do agree badly planned, head was stuck in the clouds, I wanted to be with hubby after marriage (didn't want to do the long distance thing anymore), since being in Canada reality has smacked me very hard in the face, all I can do is try and make or right and beneficial for me, the only good this I did was not resign from work!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:21 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 13 months and to be honest have never felt any home sickness.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Been here 13 months and to be honest have never felt any home sickness.
What part of the UK did you come from, what was your social class and your education level when you left?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What part of the UK did you come from, what was your social class and your education level when you left?
Stirrer.

Essex, Chav and O levels? Or was that you?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:44 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Do stop it boys!

Some people aren't going to cope...for a while...remember...if you can when you didn't feel so bloody smug and combative?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snuggs
Hey everyone...

Just wondering how people deal with it and their own experiences...

I have been living in Canada around 18 months ( which I know is'nt that long )
but collectively I've been away from Home since 2011...

some days I just miss little things from home...
Years 3 - 5 were the toughest for me; novelty of a new country had worn off, & the everyday niggles of a different culture got to me. Not to mention the OMG Canadian winters cliche. I've mentioned elsewhere on BE that if I hadn't had small children who loved (and still love it now they're big) living here, I would have moved on ...

My experience is probably very different from yours; I'd already been an expat for many years when I came here, & spent my childhood between 3 countries. I was used to moving countries & continents. Staying put here is the hardest thing I've ever done .

Oh, & I still hate, bitch & moan constantly, about the effing winter . And call the UK "home".

Regular visits, & "care" packages, take the edge off missing home.

Not much help, eh?

S

Last edited by Shirtback; Nov 9th 2014 at 2:50 am. Reason: Commas
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:51 am
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Years 3 - 5 were the toughest for me; novelty of a new country had worn off, & the everyday niggles of a different culture got to me. Not to mention the OMG Canadian winters cliche. I've mentioned elsewhere on BE that if I hadn't had small children who loved (and still love it now they're big) living here, I would have moved on ...

My experience is probably very different from yours; I'd already been an expat for many years when I came here, & spent my childhood between 3 countries. I was used to moving countries & continents. Staying put here is the hardest thing I've ever done .

Oh, & I still hate, bitch & moan, constantly about the effing winter . And call the UK "home".

Regular visits, & "care" packages, take the edge off missing home.

Not much help, eh?

S
Oh heavens...you never put it so well....we could be twins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.