Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Expats - How do you find Trudeau and heavy left wing laws?

Expats - How do you find Trudeau and heavy left wing laws?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Addzz120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expats - How do you find Trudeau and heavy left wing laws?

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
My concern is that Trudeau isn't left-wing enough, the Liberals made many political promises design to attract left-leaning people but then they dissolve into platitudes when they're in government. A good example is Pharmacare, the Liberals are holding an advisory panel on whether to do a national Pharmacare program. No doubt this will go just like the Electoral Reform advisory panel - nothing will come of it but it looks like they're doing something...

However, Trudeau is seen as the "anti-conservative" by many online right wing groups. He's sort of seen by these people like how Hillary Clinton is seen in the US deep south. These people will shape and distort media to portray their version of reality. Do your homework on this.

This is a gross simplification. Grasping with gender-identity is an issue currently going around in Canada at the moment, and needs to be taken seriously. These issues are not black-and-white and every case has to be handled differently. This has likely come up because the child will now be protected under the charter for their gender-identity based on a recent law change, and if the parents are violating their child's rights, there could be issues, however I don't think this is very likely something to happen.

Yes because there are not "tiers" of citizenship. Once you are a Canadian citizen, you remain a citizen. More scary would be if the government could take away your citizenship for an arbitrary reason. Canada has rights and rule of law, no exceptions. This is how it should be, and is an example to the world on how to have an objective humanitarian rule of law, not political "feel-good" laws. From what I understand returning ISIS fighters are still prosecuted for their crimes and detained, they are not allowed to simply return and roam free.

Yes because the US government detained him, a Canadian Citizen, and the previous Canadian government allowed his human rights to be violated at Guantanamo. The Canadian government should have extradited him and jailed him in Canada or demanded he be kept in a regular US prison. Instead they allowed him to be barbarically tortured in the USA. Terrorist or not, he is still a human being. We don't get to pick and choose who gets rights and who doesn't.

As stated above, ISIS fighters are prosecuted under the criminal code, you may want to research this further.

Depends on the intention, if you deliberately call someone by the wrong pronoun as part of a hateful campaign, then why shouldn't you be prosecuted, the same way someone who attacks gay people or a particular race? Imagine being a transgender person, trying to live a normal life, and someone verbally attacks you, you think that's acceptable?

I find the UK's obsession with internet data monitoring and CCTV cameras everywhere much, much worse.

Has never once effected my daily life in Canada.
Excellent reply. I’m amused I’ve been called a troll. I was genuinely curious, I asked for information on both accuracy of the claims by the British media and how they affected Canadians. Only you have given an answer to each query I asked. Bizarrely I didn’t raise Trump, when someone did and expects me to reply, I’m then a troll for answering? This is elementary logic from them at best.

I also aked for evidence on their claims and then it wasn’t provided and apparently “made up my mind” asking for facts, opinion and reasoning. A troll is someone who wishes to cause trouble. I would say it’s more appropriate to be called a troll (like that other Scilly person claimed) stating Trump called for journalists to be killed, a fundamental delusion, and then ignores my request for evidence, evidence that doesn’t exist. That’s trolling. As I maintained I asked for opinion, you’ve given me in and I accept it.

i disagree with one point though “not left wing enough”, I think surrounding himself in only minorities and correcting people with their language of words that don’t exist “peoplekind” to be PC overkill, that’s off the grid left wing. That’s akin to a right wing politician (as they did in Italy) calling migrants degenerates, that’s pretty far right.

edit : sorry on your last point, prosecutions for wrong gender pronouns. Yes I do disagree, race is different, if I met a African American and he asked me state his race I’d tell him he’s African American. That’s unequivocal right? To me a biological male with male organs in a dress isn’t unequivocal. They could identify by male and a cross dresser or be identifiable as female and not a cross dressser, I have scope to be in error, the former I do not. In my opinion a man identifying as female with male organs to me is male. I will call them what they wish but I shouldn’t have to accept a contraction to science as reality. That’s my freedom of expression and speech. If that’s unlawful that I can’t have that opinion which is supported by science then they’ve infringed my freedom of expression and opinion. That means I could too invent a scenario where I make such demands of them which conflict with their views and I too should expect them to comply. If that isn’t a two way street then I’ve been discriminated again and shown to have less rights that my fellow citizen. I don’t see that as equal.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to refuse to comply or broadcast my opinion, for me, if they ask I’d give it otherwise I’d say nothing.

Last edited by Addzz120; Jan 7th 2019 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Oh, dear! Just another bleedin' troll!
I think you need to learn what trolling is.

if I came to this post and said, Trudea is a beta male, Islamic feminist apologist that would be trolling.
i said what the British media were saying, I asked how you found it, asked for evidence in to the contrary showing that I’m willing to change my mind, no evidence / opinion was given that stated how and why it was “fake news” and then I’m a troll? Only two posters have given a proper reply. I would say it’s you who’s trolling if your calling someone who’s trying to learn and get more information then calling me a troll, is indeed....a troll.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No you didn't.

It's very clear from your lengthy replies that you've already made up your mind. That's fine, everyone can do that. But to ask a question, seemingly in innocence, and have that many words as a reply so quickly? Not a chance.
Thats a poor reply.

Read it again, I asked how do people find his views. I made it clear it was British media so it’s obvious they won’t be reporting it as accurately as people who live in Canada. I asked for both opinion and evidence. Someone who wants opinion and evidence hasn’t made up their mind and you can also see I have accepted the latest post as above.

Lengthy replies? I’ve merely addressed what Scilly said when she directed many, many points to me. Should I ignore her instead? I replied quickly because I get an email when someone replies to me and it’s my day off. Are you seriously suggesting a fast reply constitutes suspicious activity? In that case I demand that you reply by tomorrow or I’m suspicious of your motives sir. Incase you didn’t notice I didn’t raise Trump...
Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have no idea what the OP is going on about - I do not spare a moment fretting about PC laws that may or may not be real and are passed by provinces in a federal system. I do not worry about 'pinko / commie / fags' in the Liberals or NDP - politics does not define my life any more than BREXIT should define the life of a UK citizen (although if the papers are to be believed it does!).

What I love about Canada (as someone who has returned after a 50 year absence) was perfectly outlined today. At the local 'Real Canadian Superstore' (big, low cost supermarket) there was a pile up of three karts (trolleys to Brits), two of which were owned by, shall we say, 'obvious' first generation Canadians of middle eastern origin. I could not get my kart through and I am limping quite a bit from sciatica as a result of a recent slipped disc. Now in the UK, I would be ready for a barrage of abuse as I tried to nudge one kart aside followed by snarls and dirty looks. But instead, a harassed lady with a lot of children demanding her attention apologised profusely and quick moved their kart - a smile from me and a grin from her and apologies all around. That sir, is what I call community and it is what I call Canada and I am proud to be here!

Oh, and GO LEAFS GO!
im literally asking you if PC laws were affecting you, and how you find Canadians social policies. You’ve given an opinion that answers the question. I’m not sure why some has treated it with bizarre suspicion. I’m glad you said it hasn’t affected you.

I a,so agree with your last point. British social behaviour is poor, many aren’t polite and many in the situation you’ve described would give you a disgusting look for what you did. I was in Toronto in June and in an elevator a Canadian got off on his floor and said “thank you sir, have a wonderful day” to me? All I did was wait for him to get off on his floor. I said to my brother I could live to 80 and no one would say that in England. Perhaps people thought I was being rude by questioning perceived negative laws? If so that’s overly sensitive, I was merely asking questions, not taking a swipe at Canada...
Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Two points then I have absolutely no intention of engaging in any further discourse with you, as you so obviously have little common decency

First .............

(like that other Scilly person claimed)
I object to the description you use. It is not one that a courteous man would use ..... I assume you are of the male persuasion because no woman would use such terms.

Second .............

One has only to Google "US journalists hurt or killed by Trump supporters" to get thousands of results .... and in this case, "hurt" includes emotional hurt caused by fear of what could/will happen

About 26,400,000 results (0.43 seconds)

Just a few of the most recent media items .......

Under Trump, American Journalists Have Good Reason to Fear for ..
https://www.pastemagazine.com/.../nder-trump-american-journalists-have-good-reaso..
................If one of his supporters kills a journalist, Trump absolutely shares the blame.

Trump May Get Journalists Killed - Mon., Aug. 6, 2018 - O'Dwyer's
https://www.odwyerpr.com/story/public/...08.../trump-may-get-journalists-killed.html

Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Addzz120

Thats a poor reply.

Read it again, I asked how do people find his views. I made it clear it was British media so it’s obvious they won’t be reporting it as accurately as people who live in Canada. I asked for both opinion and evidence. Someone who wants opinion and evidence hasn’t made up their mind and you can also see I have accepted the latest post as above.

Lengthy replies? I’ve merely addressed what Scilly said when she directed many, many points to me. Should I ignore her instead? I replied quickly because I get an email when someone replies to me and it’s my day off. Are you seriously suggesting a fast reply constitutes suspicious activity? In that case I demand that you reply by tomorrow or I’m suspicious of your motives sir. Incase you didn’t notice I didn’t raise Trump...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I made it clear it was British media...
Proof please.
I see the guardian several times a day, every day, BBC regularly, sometimes the telegraph and even the daily mail (for my sins) and countless people on BE and other sites post links to British media, some controversial some not.

So perhaps you could provide some proof that the British media does, indeed, publish the nonsense in the style of your original post.

Proper media doesn't include UKIP News or EDL Times or whatever titles they may have.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Proof please.
I see the guardian several times a day, every day, BBC regularly, sometimes the telegraph and even the daily mail (for my sins) and countless people on BE and other sites post links to British media, some controversial some not.

So perhaps you could provide some proof that the British media does, indeed, publish the nonsense in the style of your original post.

Proper media doesn't include UKIP News or EDL Times or whatever titles they may have.
RT has facilities in Scotland, that might count as "British media".
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
Two points then I have absolutely no intention of engaging in any further discourse with you, as you so obviously have little common decency

First .............

I object to the description you use. It is not one that a courteous man would use ..... I assume you are of the male persuasion because no woman would use such terms.

Second .............

One has only to Google "US journalists hurt or killed by Trump supporters" to get thousands of results .... and in this case, "hurt" includes emotional hurt caused by fear of what could/will happen

About 26,400,000 results (0.43 seconds)

Just a few of the most recent media items .......Under Trump, American Journalists Have Good Reason to Fear for ..
https://www.pastemagazine.com/.../nder-trump-american-journalists-have-good-reaso..
................If one of his supporters kills a journalist, Trump absolutely shares the blame.

Trump May Get Journalists Killed - Mon., Aug. 6, 2018 - O'Dwyer's
https://www.odwyerpr.com/story/public/...08.../trump-may-get-journalists-killed.html

firstly ive said nothing offensive to you, you’re very very sensitive. I haven’t called you names or anything of the sort. Bizarre claim.

you said quote “he’s even called for journalists to be killed”

you links are all from left wing news outlets first of all the bias is off the grid. Secondly you said he called for journalists to be killed, yet your links don’t support this. No where do any of those link state he’s called for incitement to violence by killing journalists. You’ve sensationalised controversial views with defining terms of ‘he’s asking for them to be killed’.

You’ve told me quote, called for journalists to be killed, then you’ve said if you google “US journalists killed or hurt by trump supporters to justify your claim of trump calling for journalists to be killed. That’s totally different, and not in alignment with your original point. I also have no care for Trump, you raised him, I came here to discus Canadian affairs, my detailed reponse to you went unanswered and you’ve failed to justify your original point here by linking information unrelated to your claim and then decided to insult me.

this......I’m sorry, is anti intellectualism. You’ve not backed up any point I spent time replying to you on which suggest you have no argument to make, and you’ve linked evidence that doesn’t support your claim. You’ve changed it to fit the narrative then called me rude. That’s not reasonable.

Last edited by Addzz120; Jan 8th 2019 at 2:07 am.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Ones inability to form an opinion or argument usually mean there isn’t one.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ones inability to form an opinion or argument usually mean there isn’t one.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
RT has facilities in Scotland, that might count as "British media".
The BBC have reported on this, he should know that if he’s such a fan of them.

The conversation is tedious, he’s suggested I read bias right material and listed biased left material as his evidence. Worst of all The Guardian is a radical left paper, it’s so unpopular in the UK it depends on donations to stay afloat. Every article has a link to their donations page. It’s been about ten years since I saw anyone reading it in England.

I find it amusing I’m suggested as reading the EDL weekly, when it’s seemingly fine for him to support left wing media sources , the hypocrysy is barely tolerable. He’s beyond redemption on that statement as he’s so engarauned in his views he’s sees anything opposing to his views as far right. Anything right of far left isn’t far right. There’s a bunch of stuff along the way before you reach far right. I have next to no knowledge on the EDL or any other far right party.

if he’d like proof of my original claims I can link multiple stories from those tabloids who’ve reported on this. I’m uncertain he reads them well as they do exist. Even the biased BBC has reported this.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC have reported on this, he should know that if he’s such a fan of them.

The conversation is tedious, he’s suggested I read bias right material and listed biased left material as his evidence. Worst of all The Guardian is a radical left paper, it’s so unpopular in the UK it depends on donations to stay afloat. Every article has a link to their donations page. It’s been about ten years since I saw anyone reading it in England.

I find it amusing I’m suggested as reading the EDL weekly, when it’s seemingly fine for him to support left wing media sources , the hypocrysy is barely tolerable. He’s beyond redemption on that statement as he’s so engarauned in his views he’s sees anything opposing to his views as far right. Anything right of far left isn’t far right. There’s a bunch of stuff along the way before you reach far right. I have next to no knowledge on the EDL or any other far right party.

if he’d like proof of my original claims I can link multiple stories from those tabloids who’ve reported on this. I’m uncertain he reads them well as they do exist. Even the biased BBC has reported this.
Are you typing in a language other than English and using translation software?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I’m sorry education has failed you.

This is what creates a divided world, people with no argument who can’t articulate a counter argument, who then are given evidence to the contrary run into a denial mode.

Don’t be an NPC, you’ll only be worse off for it.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you typing in a language other than English and using translation software?
No argument again.

Did you ever stop to think how people will never conform to your views if you can’t even form an elementary argument?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.