Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Exchanged contracts, container loaded and nearly burned down house!

Wikiposts

Exchanged contracts, container loaded and nearly burned down house!

Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Dave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really nice
Unhappy Exchanged contracts, container loaded and nearly burned down house!

Hi all,

We have had the day from hell,
started great, we exchanged contracts this morning as doree bonner turned up to ship our stuff to Canada. Went like a dream, they finished at about 4 just as the kids came home from school to an empty house.

We had a roast dinner at a pub on the way to our 1 week rental before we fly out. Lovely, so far.....

Arrived at the rental at 6.30, a mate of my mums who happens to live opposite the holiday cottage he owns. By 7.15 we were dragging our youngest 2 out of bed as smoke engulfed the house One of the cooker rings had been left on and we had plonked a box of our stuff on it. i have never had a fire before, and it was a relatively small one, I put it out with the fire extinguisher before it got out of hand but the smoke was absolutely unbearable. Filled the whole house within a minute or so. All of the kids were outside on the doorstep in their pyjamas in the rain. All of our luggage stinks of smoke!!!!! Luckily visas and passports all ok!!! We are now back in our empty house and the kids are sleeping on their mattresses that we luckily didn't tip today, and me and April are on a blow up bed in the lounge, and that's all we have in the whole house!

The main thing is we're all OK and the kids are fine. We are looking for a rental online for tommorrow as the house completes on monday.

The bloke who's house it was looked a bit gutted, his house is pretty wrecked, the cookers ruined, the whole house is covered in powder from the smoke and extinguisher. We got our money back though

has anything worse happened to anyone else while moving to make me feel better?

Dave
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanged contracts, container loaded and nearly burned down house!

Originally Posted by Dave-april
Hi all,

We have had the day from hell,
started great, we exchanged contracts this morning as doree bonner turned up to ship our stuff to Canada. Went like a dream, they finished at about 4 just as the kids came home from school to an empty house.

We had a roast dinner at a pub on the way to our 1 week rental before we fly out. Lovely, so far.....

Arrived at the rental at 6.30, a mate of my mums who happens to live opposite the holiday cottage he owns. By 7.15 we were dragging our youngest 2 out of bed as smoke engulfed the house One of the cooker rings had been left on and we had plonked a box of our stuff on it. i have never had a fire before, and it was a relatively small one, I put it out with the fire extinguisher before it got out of hand but the smoke was absolutely unbearable. Filled the whole house within a minute or so. All of the kids were outside on the doorstep in their pyjamas in the rain. All of our luggage stinks of smoke!!!!! Luckily visas and passports all ok!!! We are now back in our empty house and the kids are sleeping on their mattresses that we luckily didn't tip today, and me and April are on a blow up bed in the lounge, and that's all we have in the whole house!

The main thing is we're all OK and the kids are fine. We are looking for a rental online for tommorrow as the house completes on monday.

The bloke who's house it was looked a bit gutted, his house is pretty wrecked, the cookers ruined, the whole house is covered in powder from the smoke and extinguisher. We got our money back though

has anything worse happened to anyone else while moving to make me feel better?

Dave

It can surley only get better!?!?!?!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:50 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It can surley only get better!?!?!?!
You've gotta smile though....print and frame your post for posterity!!
Good luck for a smooth journey from hereon!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

You're all safe...nothing else matters. Maybe it's a sign it's time to leave the country!

We'll just nip in and turn off electrical or gas power to the stove in your rental here!

Stay safe. Hope the final few days are less traumatic and congrats on the exchange.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

From the title i thought you'd nearly burnt down the house you've just sold, at least your safe, but just to be sure have take aways from now until you fly out.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:58 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

OMG - that reminds me to remember to turn everything off once our shippers have shipped so to speak.

At least you are all safe and a week of takeaways won't be the end of the world.

Have a safe journey.

The Ross Family
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:03 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
OMG - that reminds me to remember to turn everything off once our shippers have shipped so to speak.

At least you are all safe and a week of takeaways won't be the end of the world.

Have a safe journey.

The Ross Family

firstly, OMG....how awful for you but thank god you're all okay.....and the paperwork; stuff is stuff, but the paperworks a different story, right.......xxx...good luck with the move.....

ross family........are you really turning everything off????? what about the boiler? i'm keeping mine on to 'warm' the house on tick over......(family will turn it off after the winter)

and the electric.......you'll need that left on to feed the boiler......

have you got an alarm system?......more electricity!.....security lights?.....more electric......phone line? to power the alarm?????

header tank.......don't drain it down; it'll get frozen water trapped in the system.....burst pipes......

welcome to my world of nightmares........
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:30 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Gibsons

I won't turn it all off really. Need 'lecky for the boiler (keeping ticking over), house alarm, water on as well just hope this predicted bad spell of weather sorts itself out before we fly on 19th Feb.

I share your world of nightmares - told OH there had better be something big and sparkly to arrive to in Calgary for all my stress!

The Ross Family
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Gibsons

I won't turn it all off really. Need 'lecky for the boiler (keeping ticking over), house alarm, water on as well just hope this predicted bad spell of weather sorts itself out before we fly on 19th Feb.

I share your world of nightmares - told OH there had better be something big and sparkly to arrive to in Calgary for all my stress!

The Ross Family
There is! It's the mountain of snow plowed off of the main highways, glinting in the winter sun.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:19 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Gibsons

The Ross Family
oh! i am soooooo with you on that one......
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
There is! It's the mountain of snow plowed off of the main highways, glinting in the winter sun.