Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It eventually had to happen.

It eventually had to happen.

Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It eventually had to happen.

Originally Posted by Oink
Because I'm a reasonable adult living in a free democratic society. I like guns, I like firing guns, I like collecting and trading guns. I have the appropriate licenses for both storage and transportation, including concealment. What I don't need is someone else forcing their ideologically driven opinions down my throat
And if they do, you'll shoot them in the ****** head.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
And if they do, you'll shoot them in the ****** head.
Each state has very clear guidelines when deadly force can be used to stop an attack, shooting someone because they annoy you is not one of them.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In Real Policewomen of Memphis/Dallas a man was approached in his driveway (if I remember correctly) by a mugger with a pistol. The man said 'I don't think so' and drew his own pistol and shot the mugger in the abdomen, (maybe the side) and then called 911. Ambulance came and hauled the would-be thief away. The policewoman explained that his gun had to be kept as evidence for the attempted robbery trial, and wanted to make sure he had another gun for protection during the time it was to be in custody. He did.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 15th 2014 at 6:18 pm. Reason: why not?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
BristolUK you can't bury a story like this, quickly or otherwise.
I wasn't suggesting there had been other cases but not reported. I was wondering if there had simply been similar cases that the OP had been unaware of.

Reasons for assault or shootings don't always make the headline so the cause or trigger of such an incident isn't immediately obvious and not everyone reads a report. It might not even come out until a trial, by which time it's less likely to be headline news.

Considering other cases one hears about, I imagine "it had to happen" already did happen previously, just not necessarily getting widespread coverage.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Why? I don't see the irony (unless we are all sitting in the cinema busily typing away on BE - and I would guess most of us are not..)
Well I haven't shot you either.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wasn't suggesting there had been other cases but not reported. I was wondering if there had simply been similar cases that the OP had been unaware of.

Reasons for assault or shootings don't always make the headline so the cause or trigger of such an incident isn't immediately obvious and not everyone reads a report. It might not even come out until a trial, by which time it's less likely to be headline news.

Considering other cases one hears about, I imagine "it had to happen" already did happen previously, just not necessarily getting widespread coverage.
I'm not following - You said you think this story will be buried fairly quickly - I said I don't think so.... there was no discussion of unreported cases.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 15th 2014 at 8:00 pm. Reason: didn't want to appear confrontational
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

by a mugger with a pistol.
And this is why gun control in the US won't work now.
Way too many unregistered and illegal guns flowing in the US now.
And the perception that every criminal will have one.

Plus, too many controls will force many guns underground, making the problem
even worse.

Lastly, any form of gun confiscation scheme will be an open invitation for
a civil war.

Not going to happen anytime soon.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
And this is why gun control in the US won't work now.
Way too many unregistered and illegal guns flowing in the US now.
And the perception that every criminal will have one.

Plus, too many controls will force many guns underground, making the problem
even worse.

Lastly, any form of gun confiscation scheme will be an open invitation for
a civil war.

Not going to happen anytime soon.
Plus, there is the small matter of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 10:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not following - You said you think this story will be buried fairly quickly - I said I don't think so.... there was no discussion of unreported cases.
Um....where did I say that?

Ah....I see you mixed me up with Martin the cdn expat.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 15th 2014 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Um....where did I say that?
Ah....I see you mixed me up with Martin the cdn expat.
Sorry about that.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

I don't think this current administration has any interest in the Constitution.

Sorry about that.
No protests, no Trayvon type campaigns, no calls for discussion of the current laws, not a word about this crime so far.

White victim, wrong profile for the anti gun crowd.

Made headlines for a day,and it's already gone from the public radar.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:29 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Made headlines for a day,and it's already gone from the public radar.
It's not the headline story any more, likely because it isn't today's news, but there are two articles about the shooter and the theater's planned re-opening on the front page of today's Tampa paper and I'd bet money that when he makes his next court appearance it will be reported on our national news as well. NBC News latest update is 5 hrs old and outlines the section of Florida's concealed carry law that says which events and places the 1 million permit holders are not allowed to take their guns to. It isn't still news because of the murder, (there are already several fresh shootings in the news) but because of the circumstances. If it turns out that the ex-policeman is senile or otherwise of diminished capacity there will likely be some discussion about the ease of getting firearms, but I think nothing will come of it. If the murder of 26 at once didn't bring any changes or bring down the gun lobby we can't expect this to.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is ultimately the biggest issue which ties the hands of the politicians in how far they can go before legislation is struck down by the courts because of the 2nd amendment.

Its pretty damn hard to amend the constitution, and if I recall since the constitution came into existence, its only be amended 27 times, which considering its well over 200 years old now, isn't all that much.

At this time there just isn't enough support for major gun changes to change the 2nd amendment, and if I recall correctly from History (and I might be a bit off) it requires 2/3 majority of both the house and senate, and then a 3/4's majority of the states.

I don't believe at this time 3/4's of the states would agree on changing it, even if the 2/3 votes in the Senate and House could be rounded up.

And it doesn't matter who is in the White House, in the end its up to congress and the states to decide, and until then, not much will change, and some states will restrict guns as far as they can under the 2nd amendment, but the rest will continue as is.

I have no doubt someday things might change, but until then, just gotta accept its written into the constitution which is what makes it so hard to change.

As for law enforcement carrying both current and non-current, you'd be surprised where they are permitted to carry, and many places people would never expect a gun but if off duty law enforcement is around, there is a gun. There are few places an officer of the law is not permitted to carry, and federal officers can pretty much carry anywhere at anytime.

Nowhere in the US will you go a day without a gun being around you, just part of life.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 16th 2014 at 7:33 am.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

White victim, wrong profile for the anti gun crowd.
How’s that then?

Black shooting victims are depicted as being somehow deserving of their fate, Travyon Martin, for instance, was walking while being black. Surely a whiter than white victim would be ideal for the gun control lobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.