Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Europe's Stark Options

Europe's Stark Options

Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice
Default Re: Europe's Stark Options

Originally Posted by dbd33
But she didn't. She imagined it, I'd say hallucinated it.
She did? how can you be so sure? could you honestly tell me you haven't heard of similar incidents in the past few years?

Yes. I think that's silly. In the case of physical description the ethnicity of a person is relevant. It's not the same as saying everyone of that ethnicity is somehow evil.
But who has ever implied that? what's ethnicity got to do with one's religion, which (alas!) can be very militant, aggressive and destructive. I make no distinction between criminals who kill doctors performing abortions in Alabama (or was it Oklahoma? please don't hold this lack of precision against me) and the ones who slit throats shouting "Allahu Akbar". I don't care if they were Southern Baptist or Sunni or Raelians. But I wouldn't hold that back either, if I were to give my account of what happened. That would simply be "accuracy".
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
I've been living in Canada for some years now. Before Canada, it was Down Under. Before that, China. Before China, France. And I'm talking years here, not months, that's why I'm not mentioning stints in other countries (Italy, Germany, Russia, etc).
And, what's got diversity to do with cultural definitions? Good lord, you're implying that I'm a racist who won't fit into the Canadian society, aren't you? If I say that enclaves and ghettos (ethnic or otherwise) are harmful to any society and that integration has never negated any specific personal/ethnic identity, that makes me a fascist in your eye?

Good Lordy Lord... (Disclaimer: Just a figure of speech. I'm not a religious person).

No, not a fascist. Probably a racist against Muslims (technically I suppose that's a religionist rather than a racist). You sound ill suited to Toronto but there's plenty of Canada where you'd be comfortable. Have you looked at northern Alberta?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
She did? how can you be so sure? could you honestly tell me you haven't heard of similar incidents in the past few years?
I have not heard of anyone shitting in the Sistine Chapel. I'm not an expert on religious affairs, nor or matters related to sewage, but I would think such an event would have made the papers. Have you documentation for this?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:43 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

He's simply wrong about America. I wonder if he's been there. He seems ill formed, rambles a lot and isn't funny but I don't think there's any racism in this link. In the link above he's unpleasant about Muslim women but it's schoolboy stuff, he doesn't like their clothes, but I don't think that's racism either. He just seems a typical ranter like you'd try to avoid in any pub.
I think he probably has been to America. According to page 2 of this article he lived in Canada for 6 years - so its not far to travel:

http://www.timeout.com/london/comedy/features/2217.html

I personally don't think PC is a ranter - but I'm not saying I agree with him either. I saw a late night tv show with him on which brought him to my attention. Here's the rest of his vids - see what you make of them:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...patcondell&p=r

He obviously has an axe to grind with Catholicism and observations of Islam are very brave bearing in mind what happened to Theo Van Gogh.

Last edited by RobinHood; Jul 30th 2007 at 10:41 am.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

No, not a fascist. Probably a racist against Muslims
Close, but no - whatever the PC term for a cigar might be these days. I do not like aggressive, in-your-face militants of any kind. I speak Arabic, and have many buddies from Algiers, Morocco, Egypt and Syria. You're probably not going to believe this, but those people dislike their militant fellow Muslims even more than I do. Understandably: I wouldn't like to be viewed as being part of the same group as a churchgoer from Kansas who thinks the world was created in six days and Eye-raq represents a proud page of American history, just because we speak (more or less...) the same language and are both "Christians".

(technically I suppose that's a religionist rather than a racist). You sound ill suited to Toronto
Honestly? Been there, didn't like the city. Physically ugly (not that there weren't nice neighbourhoods, but I didn't like it much overall).

but there's plenty of Canada where you'd be comfortable. Have you looked at northern Alberta?
Spot on! If someone criticises the PC God or any of its doctrines du jour, then he must be a redneck with dirt on his trousers. Subtle!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I have not heard of anyone shitting in the Sistine Chapel.
Neither had she. According to the selected quotes you've posted, she had simply wondered if we weren't to expect such things in the future, after witnessing what she had witnessed (and yes, there is logic here: if a yobo doesn't give a damn about desecrating things, a motivated, militant anything, who hates the symbols of what he perceives as "the enemy", finds great programmatic pleasure in doing so; remember Abu Ghraib, where the GIs urinated on prisoners? you don't think a jihadi would do the same thing (or worse) on their (symbolic) enemy?

And, by the way, there actually exists an historic precedent. An Ottoman sultan (one of the Bayezids, if I'm not mistaken), had sworn that he would conquer Rome and make the Pope's altar (or some other religious artifact, I don't really know what those objects are called) his horse's trough.